Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Hey Steve,
Have you managed to get the wired stuff working yet? Just curious as I thought the packages and Wiki info made it pretty easy to do, but if I missed something or there's a problem with the info/scripts then I'd love to know so that I can fix 'em up for everyone!
Jolouis,

The scripts no longer work in Diablo.

I was using your scripts with my Linksys USB USB100M no problem before but now there is no "wired" appearing in the connections.

This has been mentioned by others in other threads too.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=11723&page=6

If you can get it working again I will be forever greatful

Yeah; the ICD has been rewritten, and the use of dummy connections was overlooked in the redesign. This prevents BT PAN and USB Ethernet connections from working with connection-aware apps at present, but there are some workarounds discussed for BT-PAN that could likely be adapted. Haven't had the chance to look at that yet...

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Here I am again!!
Unfortunately I am still not able to connect the N810 to the LAN.
I tried connecting by the Linksys USB100M network adapter, USB fem/fem connector and the USB to USB mini cable.
The tablet does not recognize a wired connection. After searching a while, a window pops up saying "Connection not possible file system not available" (translated from German language).
Can sdy help me further, I would be grateful.

BT-PAN relies on dummy connections, which don't work. There are some workarounds discussed, you need to implement one of those against USBEthUp.sh (or whatever it's called...).

As for the messages you're seeing, they're perfectly normal.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Detroit
Well folks one of the common problems with the WIKI/HowTos is that they don't distinguish between the different versions of "OS2008". We all know now that there is more than one version (Chinook/Diablo etc.). Anyone in software development knows well that once there is a new system platform out "all bets are off".

HowTos should contain standard documentation items such as Testing, Unstable, Stable, and system revisions tested on and such.

Not much wonder there are loads of confused noobies out there..

The Following User Says Thank You to CrowDirt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
CrowDirt has a good point.

We use Wiki's at work a LOT. Our convention is that the original author must keep his Wiki maintained until responsibility is passed to someone else. Obsolete Wiki's are pushed into the "historical archive".

Steve

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Detroit
@ Steve - thanks

The topic of this thread is Wired Communications. If you want to discuss WireLess Communications that would be best in some other thread.

There are very good reasons to be interested in Wired Communications. For example Wireless Communications, no matter what you do, is fundamentally less Secure than Wired/Fibre Communications. A good rule of thumb is Wireless = Broadcasting. Great if you are into TV Ads, but not so great if you are discussing ways to compete with your competitors.

Yes wired was working fine on my N800 running Chinook, and I can confirm also that it does not under Diablo. So it is back to the development folks and more testing. It is fine to mess around with Command Line stuff, but until it works seamlessly at the GUI level there is more work to be done.

After all we don't want to look like "script kiddies in training" do we?

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Sorry, but reading all your contributions I am still confused about how to get wired connection to the internet with my N810.
I connected a Motorola Micro USB to mini USB B adapter and further the N800 USB 360 OTG adapter and further the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 USB network adapter and connected this to the RJ45 cable coming from my router.
After a while the tablet is announcing "Connection can not be established, file system not available."
If I want to go to the internet the tablet always tries to use the WLAN connections available around.
Can somebody help me to get wired connection established to the internet.
Do I need some software installed??
Edit/Delete Message

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nottingham
i've not read the previous replies, but the chain of adapters sounds expensive and complicated. my answer to the question in the topic title is:

buy a cheap broadband router. plug the hotel cable into the WAN side, creating your own wireless access point.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
It's a question of portability VS costs really. The N800 solution is a little bit cleaner in that you don't need the mini-micro adaptor, just the OTG and the network adaptor; the N810 needs the extra bit, but still overall size for all three components if you're using a Linksys USB100M is tiny... I mean, all fits in your closed hand sort of tiny. You can get travel routers that are fairly small, but A) they definitely cost more and B) they're larger to carry around. You have to remember even if a travel router itself is fairly small, you still need to bring along the AC adaptor for it, which adds to your overall carrying size.

Now it goes both ways; the advantage to the travel router is that you get to use your tablet wirelessly walking around the room/etc, VS having to leave it plugged in somewhere, so that's the plus side of that one.

In any event, if you want to use the Wired USB option, you need to install the USB LAN deb file; see the Wiki Entry here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

This works with all versions of OS2008 including the latest Diablo.

Thanks,
-Rob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post: