Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Oh, we're at "blame Apple" now are we?

What stage of the grief/denial cycle is that?
No we are more join Apple. Keep your friends close but you enemies closer

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
No we are more join Apple. Keep your friends close but you enemies closer
I ment this as a reminder that we should not try to draw the fences to high and learn from what others already have been trough without judging them for "attitudes".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So whom to blame?

Aliens, Greece or just bad luck

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I ment this as a reminder that we should not try to draw the fences to high and learn from what others already have been trough without judging them for "attitudes".
This is true. NIH-syndrome is an ugly thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
If you want a bigger market share,
Get your software on devices, everywhere,
The UX is neither here, nor there.

From the IBM PC compatible,
To the cheap Chinese phone,
Now, the Windoze or Android user,
Will never be alone.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
So whom to blame?

Aliens, Greece or just bad luck
How about... oneself?

(Which in this case unfortunately means, Holy, Omniscient, Untouchable, Irreproachable, Faultless Jolla, my friends.)

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Can you not make a phone which satisfies mainstream users and hackers alike?

Imagine an N9/Jolla complete with polished/complete core UI, an appstore with loads of native apps, an enthused base of Qt/QML developers, and a security/sandbox model done right. Now make a keyboard version of the same hardware, where the system UI all goes landscape and you don't feel like a 2nd-class citizen (release very similar HWKB and Touch models side-by-side every hardware iteration). Make sure the security system can give you full access when you have dev mode installed. Make sure there's an X server and an overly-complicated terminal app. Done?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Can you not make a phone which satisfies mainstream users and hackers alike?

Imagine an N9/Jolla complete with polished/complete core UI, an appstore with loads of native apps, an enthused base of Qt/QML developers, and a security/sandbox model done right. Now make a keyboard version of the same hardware, where the system UI all goes landscape and you don't feel like a 2nd-class citizen (release very similar HWKB and Touch models side-by-side every hardware iteration). Make sure the security system can give you full access when you have dev mode installed. Make sure there's an X server and an overly-complicated terminal app. Done?
Hmm. Images float into my mind...

Enthusiastic developer: "You've gotta open up or get rid of this sandboxing thing! It's stopping us from doing great things on this platform!" (example)

Big-name app developer: "I'm not going to develop for your device until you support Java / Objective C. We've already invested too much in our current programming language to switch over to Qt."

Confused user: "I enabled the 1337 haxor mode on your phone the way that my friend told me, and now it doesn't work. I hate you! I want a refund now!"

Big-business IT guy: "I'd love to support your phone in our network, I really would, but it's just too easy for hackers to use that dev-mode and gain access to our secure data. Yes, yes, I know that iPhones can be jailbroken, and that Android phones can be rooted. I don't care. I still think they are safer than your device is."

I just don't really think these two views of the world should be combined into a single product. Bad things are likely to happen.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
[...]
To my mind, there is really no point in making an open-source novice-friendly mobile user interface.
[...]
That's right. Jolla failed because it tried to make a mass-market consumer smartphone. As long as it continues to do that, it will continue to fail. There is not the slightest chance that they will displace Android for a significant part of the mainstream smartphone market. Their only chance is to make a genuinely different product that does not compete directly with Android, Apple, Microsoft or Blackberry AT ALL.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
That's right. Jolla failed because it tried to make a mass-market consumer smartphone. As long as it continues to do that, it will continue to fail. There is not the slightest chance that they will displace Android for a significant part of the mainstream smartphone market. Their only chance is to make a genuinely different product that does not compete directly with Android, Apple, Microsoft or Blackberry AT ALL.
If Jolla manage to compensate backers I don't see Jolla as a failure. To me it has nothing to do with numbers.