I found the solution. My N810 did not have ncurses-base installed. Apparently this is a dependency. After I installed that minicom works like a charm. I hope this helps anyone else who might run into the same issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PTzero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2008 @ DE-BY-FR-N
yes, you're my hero of the day

that was the last problem I had to solve. now i can access routers with my N810 instead of using our big old crappy notebook. that's really awesome

The Following User Says Thank You to LStrike For This Useful Post:
So what USB-serial adapters work without going through a hub? The brand I have wants too much power for the N800!

-Scott

N800 provides NO power to USB peripherals so you must have an adapter that provides some form of power.

David

Would this work on a 770 running os2007he?

Thanks.

hi there.
i need a little help here..i am new to Maemo development...i need to install FTDI virtual com port drivers on to maemo..if you could help me on that one...i will really appreciate it ...the hardware that i am using is based onftdo vcp drivers so i need to have it...
thanks for your help
i really appreciate it
sandman

Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
I finally got around to testing this... some success but some wierdness. I think it is some kind of terminal setting or maybe because I am using "screen".

I have an N800 with OS2008.
I loaded the usbserial drivers and ftdi driver into the kernel with no problem.
I manually put the N800 into host mode with "echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode"
I get the same error message above about missing file system but I ignore it.
I then connected the USB serial adapter to another computer that I know has a working serial port.
At the N800 terminal, I type "screen /dev/ttyUSB0 57600,cs8,-ixon,-ixo" to get a terminal session at 57600 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, no flow control.
Characters typed on the N800 are received on the other computer as extended ascii character garbage with umlauts, accents, and weird symbold. However characters typed on the other computer are received just fine and displayed on the N800.

1. What terminal program (besides screen) are you using to access the serial port? Where can I get it?
2. Is there some character set settings on the N800 terminal that maybe is telling it to use extended ascii?

David
Any ideas?

OK! now can someone put together a package for N900