Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by ydant View Post
Using "tsocks /usr/bin/browser" does work fine. So that's good. Tested by starting/stopping the socks proxy at various times.

Calling that from the command line gives the four white blocks icon instead of the globe icon on the task bar, though, for some reason. Once the browser is properly started, the bookmark links will open in that sockified browser. Again, good.
VERY interesting. My attempts to launch the browser through tsocks in OS2007 on my N800 were not successful, but I have since moved to OS2008. After your report, I tried your command line and it worked! I wonder if I was not using the full path to the browser in my previous attempts, or if OS2008 has changed something here.

By the way, I get the globe icon on the task bar when running the socksified browser.

I thought my non-globe might be due to editing the .desktop file. I pointed it to rdesktop so I'd get a different application if changing it actually made a difference. Changing it back hasn't fixed it. My browser is always represented with the blocks now. Weird.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
qole,

Thanks for explaining the usefulness of tsocks. I didn't understand until I read ahead from my last post and saw that you use it in conjunction with your SSH tunnel. Sweet. I'm definitely going to give this a whirl, especially if it will work with mail and other onboard systems. I'm guessing everything could launch with the right command line from Kerez then, yes?

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
By the way how did you install tsocks? The deb files at previously listed locations won't install. OS2008 thinks they're incompatible.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was able to install tsocks from free's repository, but I had to do it through the command line, because I had installed tsocks manually before and it needed to ask me about my tsocks.conf file.

So, add free's repository:
Name: Free's Repository
Web Address: http://debfarm.free.fr
Distribution: chinook
Components: user

Try installing the "tsocks" package again. If it doesn't work, go into "red pill" mode and try again. If it still doesn't work, get root in the terminal and then type:

apt-get install tsocks

Once tsocks is installed, you need to edit the /etc/tsocks.conf file (as root) as I explain here.

Another cool thing I've discovered: If you just type "tsocks" at the command line, it gives you a new shell, and everything you run through this shell is automatically socksified. Very cool.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
If it doesn't work, go into "red pill" mode and try again
There should be no need to do this. Really try to avoid Red Pill.
If it doesn't work, please report with content of log (in the application manager menu)

Works Great here installed fine N800 os2008 .

The prgram is great and works very good .

My setup looks like this

DD-wrt router with ssh default port 22 you need to turn this on in 2 places one under services and then under admin seting remote manament.

I installed ssh then tsocks

Then start ssh like this

ssh -D 8080 mydomain.com "replace mydomain.com with your ip or domain "

Then I edit tsocks with nano and deleted all but server and port
server = 127.0.0.1
port = 8080 " 8080 is the port is used in ssh line -D 8080 you can change this.

Then i use tsocks to load my app's

tsocks /usr/bin/browser "Works great"
tsocks rdesktop "works great "
tsocks

Here is where i need some help. Bit off topic I can not get VNC viewer or server to install on my n800 os 2008 . It says it can be install it downloads and starts to install then i get an error unable to install . has this happen to anyone . if so have you fixed it and if you did HOW .

Thanks Computerfreek.com

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
It says it can be install it downloads and starts to install then i get an error unable to install
Everytime you get an error like this and you want to know why you have to go in the menu and look for "logs". What does it say

Originally Posted by free View Post
Everytime you get an error like this and you want to know why you have to go in the menu and look for "logs". What does it say

Ok here is the log . Is it any help ?

hildon-application-manager 2.0.2
/usr/bin/dpkg-deb -f '/var/tmp/vncviewer_0.6.1-chinook1_armel.deb'
/usr/bin/dpkg --install '/var/tmp/vncviewer_0.6.1-chinook1_armel.deb'
(Reading database ... 19804 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking vncviewer (from .../vncviewer_0.6.1-chinook1_armel.deb) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): short read in buffer_copy (failed to write to pipe in copy)
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing /var/tmp/vncviewer_0.6.1-chinook1_armel.deb (--install):
short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/bin/vncviewer')
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/tmp/vncviewer_0.6.1-chinook1_armel.deb

computerfreek