Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hell, a expresscard slot is basicallly a combo of usb and pci-e x1...

i really like the concept of internal usb, as long as one do not have any really strange shaped ones...

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
just a note - balance is more a question of the distribution of weight rather than size/volume. As can be seen from the image, the upper/tablet section is largely empty, and this is likely why the lower part, even if thinner, has roughly the same weight as the upper one. So, unless the lower part's center of gravity is close to the hinge, it can be quite stable.
3g - with the internal slots, this not really a question, you can stick in any usb 3g dongle with linux support. same for additional bt/wifi/gps stuff. these internal slots are in a sense a poor man's cardbus slot
The balance might be workable, but I was just curious about how it could be so well balanced. I'd think the batteries would be the heavy party and the keyboard part would really only theoretically house the keyboard itself and an extra battery. The top would have several things like a screen, the mobo, and a battery.

The usb solution seems like it might work, but I wonder about the efficiency of using this...what effect it might have on battery life and the annoyance of having something like this hanging off your device everytime you want to use it. It would be an excellent solution with regard to the fact that people could use whichever version of cellular wireless they needed/wanted.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
it's not hanging off your device, that's the whole point of internal usb slots. as for battery, the goal is putting the battery as far from the hinge as possible so the center of gravity is well in front of the tablet section (think lever). I can only say - look at the image - the casing is almost empty, the mobo is minuscule, you could fit the whole thing in a N8x0 form factor if not for the screen.

I like the idea of putting n8x0 size hardware in netbook case so that you can finally fit decent batteries.. Hope they actually complete this thing

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
I like the idea of putting n8x0 size hardware in netbook case so that you can finally fit decent batteries.. Hope they actually complete this thing
Huh. The batteries were NEVER a problem for me. The N8x0 problems for me were:

1a) device/screen is too small for a non-phone
1b) a device this small should be a phone
2) N810 keyboard feel is too stiff
3) N810 keyboard layout could be slightly better
4) no dpad on the face of the N810

(#1a and #1b going back to my requirement that "if it's a pocketable, it has to be a phone with SMS/MMS and a data plan, and if it's not a phone, then it has to be a a 7-10 inch screen")

This device looks like it it solves #1, by clearly being the right size for not being a phone. I'm hoping its keyboard has a good feel. So, that probably just leaves #4 ... which I can probably live without, depending on what the overall UI is like.

As for 1b) this is nowadays a regulatory, not as much a technical question. And you don't want the carriers determining the rules. Compare the iPod Touch pricing and availability with that of the iPhone. These two have a nearly identical HW/SW base (sans phone module), and yet the difference is not exactly 10$.

As for 1b) this is [...snip...]
1b stands as a requirement.

My pocketable device must be usable as a phone. Not negotiable. End of bullet item.

It can be a data-only device on a service like Zer01. It can be a data-only device that relies upon Google Voice. If I didn't care about SMS, then it could be a data-only device that relies on Skype (with a skype phone number, etc.). If I had the right SIP service with phone number/etc., then it could be a data-only device with SIP (though, I think that also puts it in the "if I didn't care about SMS" category).

But, even those things put the minimum requirement at having an EVDO or HSPA radio in the device. And, really, I'd prefer to not be limited to VOIP, and instead have actual non-VOIP voice call capability, for those areas that don't have 3G service yet (the area where I work doesn't, but the area where I live does).

But, anyway, like I said, 1b isn't negotiable/debatable/etc..

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
My pocketable device must be usable as a phone. Not negotiable. End of bullet item.

It can be a data-only device on a service like Zer01. It can be a data-only device that relies upon Google Voice.
Now, we seem to have a different meaning for the word phone. RX51 is a phone by that definition, so I guess that's resolved.

As for 'real' voice (as in GSM et al), would you be OK with a ~7-800$ price tag for a N8x0 ? 'Cause that what it would have to cost to be on par with the iPhone and not bite into N9x sales at the same time.

As for 'real' voice (as in GSM et al), would you be OK with a ~7-800$ price tag for a N8x0 ? 'Cause that what it would have to cost to be on par with the iPhone and not bite into N9x sales at the same time.
a) The E90 costs more than that, and I've considered it, in the past (if it just ran the right OS). So, yes, as an unsubsidized price, that might be a little extreme, but not out of the question.

b) While I recognize that Nokia would probably price their device so as to prevent the wrong levels of internal competition (or create the right levels of internal competition), my statement about "my pocketable device has to be ..." is not limited to Nokia products. If Nokia wants to create an N810 based phone and price it at $800, that's great. But I'm willing to bet that other people will come up with cheaper (phone+(linux or unix MID)) devices that still meet my requirements.

If the N8x0 were also a phone I would be in heaven.
Why would it being a phone have to cause the price to increase so dramatically?

Tags
baby's arm, holding an apple