Active Topics

Originally Posted by syncdot View Post
That's a good find! You're absolutely right, the patch allows your IMEI to be usable by Penpower.

Here's a translation by myself if anyone is having difficulty following w/o knowing Chinese.

1. This step is basically telling those who already has Chinese localization in their N900 to uninstall it by first changing the system language to English.

2. In App Manager, search and download mscim-n900-ppinputmethod. (I believe as of now it's only available in extras-devel, and so the usual warning applies)

3. Download the patch provided by the link (NOTE: I've tried downloading but apparently you need to be a member of the forum with at least '5 forum currency'...) Extract the files on to desktop.

4. Upload the 4 extracted files into "usr/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/Helper" in your N900 and replace the existing ones. The example uses WinSCP, but I'm sure you can use other method such as SSH.

5. Get your IMEI number (i.e Settings > About)

6. Open X-Terminal enter these commands:
sudo gainroot [press enter]
sed -i"s/033336155/xxx/g" /usr/share/scim/pphwrwp/database/libpprecog.so [press enter]

Where xxx is the last 9 digit of your IMEI.

7. When all is successful with no errors, restart N900. Then you can change the system language to Chinese Traditional HK, Chinese Traditional TW, or Chinese Simplified PRC, and then enable the MSCIM input methods. Here's the settings for the MSCIM in their order:

- Activate GooglePinyin
- Activate Zhuyin
- Activate Pinyin
- Activate Handwriting
- Activate Cangjie

8. To uninstall everything, change the system language to English and uninstall "mscim-n900-ppinputmethod" and "n900-locales-ppchinese" via App Manager.

Hopefully this is helpful for those who want to experiment. As stated I'm unable to download the patch. I'll try to sign up for the forum tonight after work and see if I can download it and test out this badass penpower input.

Edit: The author of that post had a small review of Penpower. Basically he said that it's still full of bugs. For instance, when you are typing Chinese, if you don't close out of the input window, the input window will stay on the screen. He also specified that the Penpower app takes a lot of rootfs space. According to him, it's about 40mb. I guess I'll have to free up my root before attempting this out.
I have managed to register and download the patch. am i allowed to attach it here?

Just to let you guys know that the patch does work and the writing pad comes up and is working

Last edited by Souseke; 2010-05-04 at 18:41. Reason: more info

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Souseke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Souseke View Post
if you press that red icon to the left it allows you to change between different methods. the only thing i miss with the mscim method is the sym button for various symbols.
i will experiment with the patch tonight...
Yes, I figured as much. But when I press it, nothing happens. Is it working for you (in the "Chinese Pad" mode)?

Great news and thanks for the translation I'm gonna try it just to see how it works..

And, since the content of the package is actually under the LGPL licence, as attila77 pointed out, I think its not illegal to modify it and redistribute? Please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't know much about it.

the red icon has always worked for me. its working with writing pad mode but i now have no use for it as you can write symbols on the writing pad

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Connecticut
Originally Posted by Souseke View Post
I have managed to register and download the patch. am i allowed to attach it here?

Just to let you guys know that the patch does work and the writing pad comes up and is working
That's very good news! I've registered and seems like you get 50 forum currency off the bat so I was able to download the patch too. I'm not sure about attaching it here - Perhaps host it on other server and link it?

I'm still in the process of figuring what apps I can delete to free up my rootfs. Just wondering how much free space did you have prior to installation and how much after?

i had about 51MB on rootfs before installation. its now down to 23MB so when pr1.2 comes out, i am going to have to remove penpower first before upgrading.

I am unable to register there, the verification email just does not arrive (tried twice)... Could you please send the patch to lukkash<you-know-what>email<dot>cz? Thanks!

Although, as I already said, the files in the package are released under LGPL so it should be ok to attach the patch here (since its not illegal to modify and distribute the files).

Originally Posted by lukash View Post
I am unable to register there, the verification email just does not arrive (tried twice)... Could you please send the patch to lukkash<you-know-what>email<dot>cz? Thanks!

Although, as I already said, the files in the package are released under LGPL so it should be ok to attach the patch here (since its not illegal to modify and distribute the files).
I've emailed it to yourself, however here is the link
https://www.yousendit.com/download/O...cGtGOFJFQlE9PQ

The Following User Says Thank You to Souseke For This Useful Post:
Can you please reupload the patch? The file from that link has expired unfortunately

cane someone host that patch again ?

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
so what does this do? support handwriting input??