Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just while I remember.. http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libts-bin contains a ts_calibrate which will calibrate the touchscreen for you. It needs export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event3 , fb_update_mode auto as it uses framebuffer.
I'm familiar with tslib and the TSLIB_TSDEVICE variable, but what's the "fb_update_mode auto"? Is that another export variable? Or is it a command line parameter? I've never managed to get ts_calibrate to work, maybe the fb_update_mode was the problem.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm familiar with tslib and the TSLIB_TSDEVICE variable, but what's the "fb_update_mode auto"? Is that another export variable? Or is it a command line parameter? I've never managed to get ts_calibrate to work, maybe the fb_update_mode was the problem.
fb_update_mode is a program of fanoush's that selects if the framebuffer should update immediately after a change or not (console doesn't work for instance else), or manually - program should ask to update the fb to show changes
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I am quite experienced linux user and admin, but unfortunelly not good friend with debian. Deblet seems to even use different configuration for X then common debian which makes me very confused. Well, I had following idea:

I love when I can lauch xfce4 on n810, but to be honest, default maemo layout is very good for small devices, much better and faster then xfce of gnome. (Don't speak about KDE4 at all).

I would like to take advantage of maemo gui and crate nit-env-hildon or something like that... all stuff should be free, maybe expect microb browser (but we should be able to use fennec soon).

We will have the best from all. Nice working gui from maemo project and lot of libs and software repositories.

I don't expect that anybody will do it for me, but I will be glad for any help, link for usefull tutorial (there's not many tutorials for hildon stuff at all) or any advice.

Thank

Originally Posted by Darken View Post
Hi,

I am quite experienced linux user and admin, but unfortunelly not good friend with debian. Deblet seems to even use different configuration for X then common debian which makes me very confused. Well, I had following idea:
Yeah, - we're a bit restricted by the fact Xserver-omap is a kdrive so it's a bit possible. We provide nit-env's to collect working tablet environments.

I would like to take advantage of maemo gui and crate nit-env-hildon or something like that... all stuff should be free, maybe expect microb browser (but we should be able to use fennec soon).
We will have the best from all. Nice working gui from maemo project and lot of libs and software repositories.
It's definately possible, see http://people.via.ecp.fr/~jobi/hildo...top-ubuntu.png for instance. http://maemo.org/community/wiki/Hild...opPortability/ is also a possibility. You may find hildon packages in Debian already.

If you want to make a nit-env-hildon, try look at the package sources at http://trac.tspre.org/projects/deble...it-env-keblet3 - these are dpkg-buildpackage'able

For a QEMU virtual 'armel' machine, see http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/armel/ - that's what I use to dpkg-buildpackage (you'll want to apt-get dist-upgrade and ntpdate it probably). Scratchbox for Debian/armel should exist too.

http://wiki.debian.org/pkg-maemo is relevant too.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2008-09-22 at 13:23.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
Originally Posted by Darken View Post
I love when I can lauch xfce4 on n810, but to be honest, default maemo layout is very good for small devices, much better and faster then xfce of gnome. (Don't speak about KDE4 at all).
You might try installing matchbox; I believe that's what the maemo ui is built on. It works basically the same anyway (one app viewable at a time, not resizeable). If I remember correctly it's based on blackbox code and was originally intended for small handhelds. Quite workable, but I despise the one-at-a-time approach.
For me, lxde seems to be the best compromise between speed and features, but Icewm is even faster (it would be my second choice, and I may end up going back to it before long).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Another one from the list:

* Finding simple Camera applications that work with the v4l device for snapshotting and recording and documenting these on wiki.

apt-get install cheese gnome-media

Make sure tablet user is in 'video' group. Run gstreamer-properties to set ximagesink and select correct camera (omap24xxcam)
Is there any hope of hacking a solution that lets the camera be used as a standard v4l device, without using gstreamer?

As you might suspect, I'm only interested in chroot, where the camera is supposedly available on /dev/video0, but most apps can't seem to access it. Why not?

Also, please note the dm-loop by free and Matan that allows a loop filesystem to be accessed at almost the same speed as a partition. This makes the deblet-in-a-file option very attractive. This definitely needs to be added to the deblet system.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Is there any hope of hacking a solution that lets the camera be used as a standard v4l device, without using gstreamer?

As you might suspect, I'm only interested in chroot, where the camera is supposedly available on /dev/video0, but most apps can't seem to access it. Why not?
I didn't install any gst-plugins from Nokia for this - the camera -is- a v4l device. Maybe need to be included in 'video' group or the likes?

Also, please note the dm-loop by free and Matan that allows a loop filesystem to be accessed at almost the same speed as a partition. This makes the deblet-in-a-file option very attractive. This definitely needs to be added to the deblet system.
Yeah, I've got it on my TODO and it's very interesting. I do need a statically or initfs linked dmsetup for this purpose however before it's possible (deblet-in-a-file uses "support" files on the vfat and abuses the fact vfat has +x permission for files when not mounted noexec..)

I didn't install any gst-plugins from Nokia for this - the camera -is- a v4l device. Maybe need to be included in 'video' group or the likes?
The /etc/group file has the following line (both in Maemo and, by design, in the chroot):

Code:
video:!:44:user
So does camorama work for you Deblet guys?

EDIT: The problem is straightforward, I think. The camera is NOT a v4l device. It is a v4l2 device, with no backwards compatibility for v4l1. So only programs which can handle v4l2 will work with the camera. And there aren't a lot of those.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-30 at 21:39.

The /etc/group file has the following line (both in Maemo and, by design, in the chroot):

Code:
video:!:44:user
So does camorama work for you Deblet guys?

EDIT: The problem is straightforward, I think. The camera is NOT a v4l device. It is a v4l2 device, with no backwards compatibility for v4l1. So only programs which can handle v4l2 will work with the camera. And there aren't a lot of those.
Wasn't that the issue with Flash cam support? And was overcome with a v4l2 -> v4l loopback driver? IIRC, anyway.

I'm using the vloopback.ko driver from this post, but still no luck (with camorama). Will try other apps; I think I need to find one that allows me to choose my colourspace...

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-30 at 23:10.

Tags
debian, deblet, deblet challenges