Active Topics

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
Nowadays you don't have playlist nor the search finds anything for you, which makes the app pretty useless.
Thanks for your report.

The problem is that libspotify is EOL and some features working only with the web api. To use the web api you need to use oauth2.
Spotify don't care about embedded linux devices. They only support IOS and Android....

But I will look if I can implement broken libspotify features with the web api and how to implement oauth2 with qt4, it is included in qt since 5.8 I think. So 30 days from now

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
.... The internet radios (suggested by xman) are ok, but I'm quite limited on what I'd like to listen, so I'd like to decide it on my own
Yeah it's more work and many time radio station are bought and lock behind a paid wall or they just stop working.

But I have only stations/genre that I enjoy. So for me this is pretty good as a Spotify type of service. Often I use the Icecast radio directory in vlc as a jump off point. for example when a niece was in town I found kids station that played the popular song from Disney like movies.

Would love to have apps that made it easier. But I'm kinda of tired of trying. So if I find something good I'll add it to my n900 streaming playlist.

power to the people

x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Sigh, I'm alone with this cause nobody watches youtube with their N900 anymore. Everybody have some corrupted fancy sold-my-soul phones and they enjoy with Google.
Or, some of us just quit YouTube

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
Or, some of us just quit YouTube
Hear hear

I actually have made an utube video once many years back, showing how ubiboot works on N9.

Nowdays I really try to avoid it as much as possible; the real problem with videos is that they just take so long to watch/listen and you cannot easily find the bit you would find interesting in a video an hour long!

Text is so much more pleasing format to use.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,703 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Installed youtube-dl for jessie in ED from the homepage of youtube-dl. Installed without errors. Tried downloading a video. Fatal error: kernel too old. Https problem. Bummer. And justmemory has said his kali image working in chroot can download. Or maybe it has changed for him too.

Would not want to go the other way round: download with laptop, convert to play in N900, copy to N900. That just wont do it the way I would want.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It would be great if you got it working again! The internet radios (suggested by xman) are ok, but I'm quite limited on what I'd like to listen, so I'd like to decide it on my own

Ah, but what I did after it turned out to be too tedious to get Spotify working is I made my own radio.

Tried listening to the local Finnish FM radios for a while but they are not that intresting in musical way and have 10%...30% commercials

So I installed icecast2 to a server, dumped my collection of ~78GB of music there and run ices on it with random play from the list.

There's a whole radio of my kind of music playing out 24h/day with always something I like when I turn it on

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
At last found a way to download youtube videos. Sorry but instructions try to be so detailed that someone like myself could also follow them (possibly).

1. Install Easy Debbie with application manager and download jessie2sulu img to it.

2. Do updates in chroot environment given by sulu in Easy Debian thread's last pages (about 330) for installing netsurf 3.9 and openssl, ca-certificates and libcurl (netsurf optional but the other stuff may be needed). Click the Debian spiral icon you got when installed Easy Debian to get to chroot environment.

3. Install youtube-dl (can't remember did I install it from debian jessie archives with just apt-get or with wget command which is found on youtube-dl site) and do sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl.

4. Edit /etc/youtube-dl.conf with text editor (like install first leafpad, apt-get install leafpad and then leafpad /etc/youtube-dl.conf). Add text --force-ipv4 and save.

5. In chroot write youtube-dl -F 'write here your video url' and you will get a list of possible formats. On the left of the lines you will get numbers like 22 or 145 and after them is described the format. Check which format you want to download and notice that some are video only.I got sound included video when I chose webm version of given formats number 43 with 360 resolution. But the video now has short stops in like every two seconds. Not sure if it is because the video has 30 ps frame rate. Maybe freemangordons p720 settings with DSP kernel settings could resolve this.

6. Now in chroot terminal environment copypaste/write this: youtube-dl -f 22 -o "~/MyDocs/%(title)s.%(ext)s" and leave chroot open. The number 22 is just an example number. Change it to what you found out in the previous step which you want to download.

7. Go to youtube with a browser, choose a video and copy the url address from the addressbar of the video, open the chroot which you left open and paste the address of the video after the text you have there.

8. Now if all went well you get first some "fatal error: too old kernel" messages but after a short while your video should start to download it to your MyDocs folder. When the download is finished you can close the Easy Debian, open your media player as usual and watch your video which should be found by the player.

If some video wont play you can check online instructions for choosing different resolution/quality for the video before you start to download.

Just watched the first video I downloaded. Maybe this --force-ipv4 should be added somewhere in the code of cutetube2. I tried to use the youtube-dl app found from the repos with this --force-ipv4 but did not work. To get cutetube2 to work would be best but for now I am happy. And in my own mind earned my badge here. First real contribution of a solution to something that doesn't work.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-08-27 at 15:58.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
First-
THAT is a brilliant post and instruction worthy of the wiki ...
The instructions are written perfectly with zero fluff.
And yes you succeeded.
I would suggest you put it in the wiki under power user ....youtube.

I see that you completely get it now...
you understand now... if you wish to replicate results of a success ...you need to document all the steps along the way when you were experimenting that lead up to your success..
if you wish to replicate the success again.
And yes ...it may seem like tedious instruction and minutiae ...
But that is the nature of the process so others will replicate without failure .
(Also working on probs is puzzle like fun...the success is the cherry on the cake and just makes you an experimenting addict after that...)

And
No need for apologies.
Not with a success.
Sure it seems like a long procedure ...that may make some shy away from doing it.
But I have found with lengthy procedures ...once one starts doing it over and over....it becomes second nature and no more thought of its complexity... is the result.

Second-
I wouldn't say it is your first real contribution to something that works ....Maemish..
That is a bit harsh...
I think you have been doing a stellar job...
sure somethings you worked at ...you may have found no solution for ....yet....
But give it time...and I bet those things you couldn't crack...will get cracked.
That is the nature of issues we have...
And sure...your tendency to the maudlin outstrips even mine...
But the big thing is...
You laterally thought your way around the youtube downloading and playing issue.
I bet more lateral thinking in just the right ways for the other issues will result in success as well.

Gone are the day of easy 1 +1 equals 2 ...solutions for many probs we have in maemo..
It now takes a partially mad individual to accomplish gains over the hurdles we now have.
(and "mad" is not a derogatory inference either..)

those who are logically thinking of the hurdles in a way...
as being infinitely impossible to get around ....believing they are boxed in by the parameters of the hurdle ...will never get past the hurdle.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-08-26 at 03:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
I would say this is just a bearable workaround. And because this workaround does not make it possible to work only on Fremantle side (which I think someone could probably make to happen) this is not yet a wiki stuff. If other solution is not possible, then this could be on wiki.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-08-26 at 05:18.

Also thought that is there or is it possible to get for Fremantle side the apt-transport-https or is it a no go? There is this libc6 nasty trouble maker as a dependency so I don't know how is it with it. Or with KP I understood it has support for ipv6. Do I hyave to enable it somehow and could this solve some things if it is required now for youtube?