Poll: If you got two same phones only screen differs what screen will you choose
Poll Options
If you got two same phones only screen differs what screen will you choose

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't draw.
I don't need to wear mitts or gloves.
No current OS supports handwriting recognition... and on the other hand, multitouch gestures are improving and they offer great usability on modern smartphone OSes.

Capacitive for me, until the best of both world is available.
again multituch fan!!!!!!!! why don't all of see this video first and then vote?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/19/s...face-on-video/

EDIT i think the link does not work here is another

Originally Posted by nology View Post
N900 already has the best resistive screen i've used, so all I'd want for the next device is the same screen (w/any possible enhancements) + multitouch
this link shows that it can be implemented properly:

Last edited by nicholes; 2011-04-17 at 09:24.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
again multituch fan!!!!!!!! why don't all of see this video first and then vote?

Was my post not clear enough?
Which part of it should I clarify/elaborate more on?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't draw.
I don't need to wear mitts or gloves.
No current OS supports handwriting recognition... and on the other hand, multitouch gestures are improving and they offer great usability on modern smartphone OSes.

Capacitive for me, until the best of both world is available.
when you say..........

"and on the other hand, multitouch gestures are improving and they offer great usability on modern smartphone OSes"

so i just want to say mlutituch is possible on resistive screen also!!

all i want to say multitouch should not be criteria to judge a screen
in last is your decision no one can force you

Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
when you say..........

"and on the other hand, multitouch gestures are improving and they offer great usability on modern smartphone OSes"

so i just want to say mlutituch is possible on resistive screen also!!

all i want to say multitouch should not be criteria to judge a screen
in last is your decision no one can force you
We've known about stantum from years ago.
Here's a thread from 2009 that speculated (wished) that the n900 came with a hidden stantum screen:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33586

Like it or hate it, screen technology is closely tied to the UI/UX of a given smartphone, until a hybrid screen is available for mass consumption.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I voted resistive. I hope I can get one, though.

IMO, capacitive is f* great, I have a 23 inch at work and it's cool. But on a 23 inch, a finger is a little smaller that a standard button, and Windows can be coaxed into increasing close, minimize, scrollbars, etc and newer Windows has drag.

BUT. On a phone, my finger covers 128x128 pixels. Precision might be up, but I can't see what I touch, and a nail is useless for insta-pointer. TMO is virtually useless without a pen, e.g.

If I had a phone with 300x200, maybe touch is better. On a hi-res, waste of pixels. There is no point in seeing page numbers if I can't click, or read small text if I have to soom to do anythiing.

So, for me, it's resistive all the way for things that fit in a pocket. Pad? Maybe capacitive. Desktop and info points? Capacitive.

Also, you are doing it wrong. Sweping is easy on my phone. I have NO idea what you are on about. I have never missed a drag operation, and I have all-three-star in Angry birds.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
anyone else want to vote?????

Where the heck is stantum?

It was announced and received decent marketing buzz in 2009 and then it goes off the radar completely. Stantum was resistive screen's big chance to gain multitouch capability.

On the other hand, capacitive display is also 'growing' to address its major deficiency (accuracy).

One of the most interesting hybrid to gain the 'best of both world' that i've seen is capacitive + active digitizer (htc flyer). Unfortunately the OS it comes with (android) doesn't have HWR yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RiD View Post
Resistive, but it was quite a hard decision. it also depends on the resistive screen, I'd like one as sensitive as N900. It's one (if not the best) resistive screen phone i ever touched. Capacitive screen is good because of it's multitouch, and I'm not really a stylus guy but capacitive is somewhat too sensitive for me. Maybe because I am used to the N900.

Didn't Nokia patented a resistive multitouch screen?

I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.

PS: I'm sure this poll will end up with resistive being the winner, because people tend to "protect" their phone screen. So, N900 owners tend to protect the resistive screen.
If this was done on a iPhone or Android forum, I'm sure resistive screen would have less votes.
the poll is showing that you were right! but i don't think this is because "N900 owners tend to protect the resistive screen."

resistive because am so used to it. Any time I handle any type of phone with capacitive it just goes wrong

Resistive WON!!!!

Tags
capacitive, compare, resistive, screen