Active Topics

Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
My Tekkeon MP1550 arrived in the mail today. First impressions are that is very small (~30% larger than 4xAAs), looks nice but is pretty flimsy - sliding battery door isn't super secure and may come off if the unit loose in a bag and the on off switch seems a little loose. Shiny black finish is a finger print magnet

Still seems to do the job - quick check shows it charges the N800 and can at least spin up a 2.5 in hard drive - however it was reporting 'missing filesystem' which I guess might be down to NTFS not being supported?

I'm charging up the batteries (4xAA eneloop) now - hopefully get a chance to run some benchmarks in a day or two. I still dont have a great test - perhaps I'll try running mplayer repeatedly from a shell script in an xterm.

Thank you, please let us know your findings asap!

No results yet - test just started. Both internal battery and MP1550 are fully charged and connected. Im running mplayer in the following loop in an xterm.

while [ 1 ]; do date > last.txt; mplayer n800.avi; sleep 10; done

(cant remember the full name of n800.avi - its the default video in OS2008).

If its not still going tomorrow then last.txt should show how long it was running for.

Thanks a lot! I can't wait to see the results!

mplayer ran continuously from 8:25pm to 5:22am - so thats just shy of 9 hours.

It might be possible to get longer if I waited until the battery was lower (i.e. 50%) before activating the battery pack.

Wow, that's REALLY good for a cheap battery pack!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
mplayer ran continuously from 8:25pm to 5:22am - so thats just shy of 9 hours.

It might be possible to get longer if I waited until the battery was lower (i.e. 50%) before activating the battery pack.
I think I read somewhere the external packs are more efficient when used with a fully charged internal battery, the rationale being that charging the internal battery is a less efficient process than delivering current directly (which is -- more or less -- the case with a fully charged internal battery).

Don't shoot me if your Itablet explodes.

Well, you wouldn't -- because you would have exploded as well. So the disclaimer is pretty redundant then. Pfhew...

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State
I'm going to have to try that with my Tekkeon MP3300. I use it for both my n800 and DSLR.

Results:
The Tekkeon MP3300 has a row of 8 LEDs which indicate, what voltage is selected, and, at the press of a button, how much battery charge is remaining. My test was run using a 56 minute video (avi) of the Boeing 787 roll out. I also left wifi turned on (so omweather could update and a little use of ssh and sftp to the n800 from my PC).

After 12 hours of running the video, three of the eight LEDs on the Tekkeon were still lit up, indicating around 37% battery left, and my n800's battery was still fully charged.

It wouldn't surprise me if I got 18 to 20 hours total use out of the Tekkeon and the n800's internal battery.

(gee, I wonder how many pictures I could take with my DSLR?)

Last edited by frasej; 2008-01-12 at 07:22.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Illinois
Hi all,

I hope that you don't mind my jumping in here with my experience with the Tekkeon MP1550 TekCharge. I recently purchased it on January 3 from Maxwho.com for $28.99 delivered. It arrived on January 8.

I decided to use eneloop AA batteries in the unit since I've had good results with them in the past with my digital SLR camera. Their low self-discharge rate makes them a good choice to power the MP1550, in my opinion. So far, what I've seen of the unit seems to make it ideal as a backup power supply. The construction seems solid, and with the included adapters, it can handle a lot more than just the Nokia Internet Tablets. Although I've only tested the hookup with my cell phone, which worked nicely.

Last night I thought that I would test the endurance of the unit while powering my Nokia N800. I've had my N800 for about a month and it is using OS2008.

I topped off the batteries of the N800 using the normal charger, and connected it to my home wifi network. I loaded a web page that would occasionally ask for new data without my intervention (The local Nexrad radar page on weatherunderground.com.) since I would be asleep through much of this. Admittedly this was not working the N800/MP1550 too hard, especially since the screen blanks after 5 minutes. I then removed the N800 from the charger and plugged in the recently fully-charged MP1550. (All three capacity indicators showing green.) Within a minute the N800 indicated that it's battery was once again fully charged. I then went to sleep.

This morning, at the 10 hour mark, when tapping the N800 battery indicator, it continued to read, "Battery full..." and the MP1550 showed three green capacity lights also.

At about 11 hours since the start, I noticed that one of the 3 capacity lights on the MP1550 had started to flicker. And at 11.25 hours, there were two capacity lights showing on the MP1550 and the N800 remained fully charged. Interestingly, it went back up to three lights soon after I stopped checking the N800 status.

At the 11.5 hour, I decided to push it a bit harder by playing a song in a loop in the N800 media player. Output was through a set of small earphones and the volume set on full in the player and half at the N800 main volume control. At 11.75 hours, there were two steady lights and one flickering.

At the 12 hour mark, the N800 showed fully charged and the MP1550 showed two steady green and one flickering capacity light.

As I write this at the 12.25 hour mark, the MP1550 is showing two steady green capacity lights and, of course, the N800 is fully charged.

I'll continue with this test until the N800 goes back to its own battery (the MP1550 is discharged) or 24 hours, whichever comes first and report back. But so far the MP1550 seems to be extending the battery life of the N800 by quite a bit. However, I'm not really pushing it too hard considering the screen dims, then blanks after 5 minutes. But, if the MP1550 were to go dead right now, there would remain the normal full battery time of the N800.

So for my normal usage, this appears to be a nice backup battery solution.

Bill

EDIT: 15 hours since the start... 1 capacity light remains on the MP1550.

15.25 hours: That was quick... from 2 lights to one to none. MP1550 is discharged and the N800 is on its own, with battery showing: When idle 10 days, When in use 7 hours.

Last edited by itsbill; 2008-01-12 at 19:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itsbill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
That's not backup, that's freaking steroids!

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
These are two very interesting observations.

N800 Fully Charged battery + Tekkeon 3300 = 18 to 20 hours use
N800 Fully Charged Battery + Tekkeon 1550 = 12.5 hours minimum.

The price difference between the two models is about $100 so I would not have expected the cheapie to be so good.

Itsbill, let us know the final figure?