Active Topics

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
The name in my head begins with an A.... pure speculation of course.
Acer or Asus, i think it might be realistic that its (at least?) one of them. I think Asus doesnt has a phone out yet, but are quite strong in the android tablet market (transformer). Still possible that they enter the smartphone segment with something else than android, since samsung is going too strong there and its very hard to compete. Acer only threw out some low end and midrange Androids. So Jolla could also be a chance for them.
Also Huawei is about the take off in the european market (at least they intend to i think) and besides Android they will also use WP8 so why not Jolla? It seems they are following a similiar strategy to Samsung.

I would prefer Asus as i've read many things about their hardware and built quality.
HTC has also build very nice hardware with the One Series (especially the One X, looks verrrrrry nice!) but i don't expect them to work with Jolla.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I think we have to clarify some rumors regulary to get rid of stupid rumors on the net:

1. Jolla is not Nokia company
2. Jukka Eklund is not working at Jolla(But he should have all damn crediting for he started the twitter success for jollamobile
3. There will NOT be two devices. ONE is in the pipeline so far. (See interview below)
4. There is not any Nokia patent moved to Jolla LTD
5. Nokia does not pay this company more than everyone else. However Nokia give some upstart money to people theyr fired if they starts new companys.
6. There is NO sign that Jolla is Nokias "planB"

http://www.intomobile.com/2012/07/11...ext-available/
We dont know, Nokias offical statement on the is that they "cant give any details about license agreements that may exist"

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by milanjakob View Post
Acer or Asus, i think it might be realistic that its (at least?) one of them. I think Asus doesnt has a phone out yet, but are quite strong in the android tablet market (transformer). Still possible that they enter the smartphone segment with something else than android, since samsung is going too strong there and its very hard to compete. Acer only threw out some low end and midrange Androids. So Jolla could also be a chance for them.
My understanding is that Acer doesn't manufacture its own phones. For example Acer WP7 phones were designed and manufactured (ODM) by Compal Communications. The same company that makes at least Nokia's Lumia 800 phones.

Asus has spinned off its ODM manufacturing and it is now independent company known as Pegatron Corporation which is rumored to design and manufacture Microsoft's Surface tablets.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
We dont know, Nokias offical statement on the is that they "cant give any details about license agreements that may exist"
It was totally baseless seculation that made no sense.

But since people are willing to take any silly theory, here's a snippet from Intomobiles interview with CEO of Jolla:

"Stefan: There’s been a lot of confusion regarding patents from Nokia. Have they given you any? Are they licensing you any? What’s the situation there?

Jussi (=CEO of Jolla): Nokia actually answered these questions yesterday because TechCrunch was speculating that Nokia “gifted” us some IPR. I can say that Nokia doesn’t “gift” IPR.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post

Jussi (=CEO of Jolla): Nokia actually answered these questions yesterday because TechCrunch was speculating that Nokia “gifted” us some IPR. I can say that Nokia doesn’t “gift” IPR.
Except when it does, which should apply to Jolla if they use an "official" kernel.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Setok View Post
Btw. iOS's multitasking is way more than mere taskswitching. I think they made the right compromise there, making it easier to control how apps use resources. You don't tend to get those runaway situations that you get on the N9 where battery just wooshes out of existence.
iOS "multitasking" is a abuse of language. It is Fast App Switching as cited by Apple itself in its developer's documentation.

Background softwares in iOS are limited to run a maximum of 10 minutes, except if they are in 5 or 6 categories (music, gps, etc) and approved by Apple.

So no way to have fractal drawing, mathematical calculation, 3D rendering, etc, software running in background for more than 10 minutes in iOS. For me, iOS it is a dumbed down OS in its roots.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Except when it does, which should apply to Jolla if they use an "official" kernel.
The Nokia Press Release states:

Nokia, therefore, issues the legally binding Patent Statement, which has been posted on its website at www.nokia.com/iprstatements.
Which is great apart from the fact that the actual link throws up a Page Not Found error.

Edit: Google filed a complaint with EU over Nokia's patent trolling, and included a link to an archived copy of the doc.

Edit 2: Reading the actual statement Patents are defined as:
"Patent"
means any such claims, including without limitation, method and product claims, of any and all patents and patent applications with a priority date of 31 December 2005 or earlier, now owned or hereafter acquired by Nokia, which are infringed by any Linux Kernel that exists as of 25 May 2005 or by any functionality embodied in any future Linux Kernel to the extent that Nokia has not declared as described hereinabove such functionality to be outside the scope of this Patent Statement. For the avoidance of doubt, Patent shall not include any claims for enabling technologies that are not themselves embodied in the Linux Kernel (e.g., without limitation, hardware or semiconductor manufacturing technology as such).
So any patents filed over the last 7 years aren't covered by the statement, unless it was updated at some point.

Last edited by mrsellout; 2012-07-11 at 16:09.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
iOS "multitasking" is a abuse of language. It is Fast App Switching as cited by Apple itself in its developer's documentation.

Background softwares in iOS are limited to run a maximum of 10 minutes, except if they are in 5 or 6 categories (music, gps, etc) and approved by Apple.

So no way to have fractal drawing, mathematical calculation, 3D rendering, etc, software running in background for more than 10 minutes in iOS. For me, iOS it is a dumbed down OS in its roots.
Which is, as I've said a few times, the same "multitasking" decades old PalmOS had -- popularly considered "single tasking".

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I would prefer Asus as i've read many things about their hardware and built quality.
Acer is on my sh*tlist since they sold me a laptop with severe heat issues, wouldn't acknowledge it as a design flaw even though the fora filled with the issue, and to boot provided very slow and bad service repairing the damn thing. And the damn thing broke down three times in a single year because of the very same issue.

Asus would be quite acceptable indeed. The Transformer Prime has nice build quality.

Still, call me chauvinistic, but I'd like to see a European built device. Even in that regard the N9 seems to be the last of its kind, since Elop axed the Finnish factories

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla