Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by ohwut View Post
I've noticed that coming from T-Mobile USA I'm unable to send any MMS to a user on Verizon Wireless. Every other carrier they go through fine, tested it out on 4 different users in different regions of the US(Arizona, Florida, New Mexico, North Carolina) over the past 2 weeks and none of them received it, or even a notification. They receive them just fine if they're sent from my BlackBerries, HTC Win-Mo phones, or the Nexus One so I know it's a fMMS issue somewhere. No idea what it would be though.
Sounds interesting - can you run /opt/fmms/fmms_sender_ui.py in a terminal and send me the output (in a PM) after sending to a Verizon user?

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

[QUOTE=frals;490538]You might want to edit out your numbers from that

Anyway, seems like you are not allowed to send MMS through the specified MMSC, so (most likely) its either A) Wrong settings or B) you are not allowed to send MMS for your carrier

thanks for the help...

well i have receive mms using fmms.

my setting was taken from a list of settings for telcos.

also i have taken settings from my my phone too... and send out mms usig my n97 so couldnt be not allowed to send... maybe setting on mmsc but the setting also from ppl used before... but what does the error msg means someth like wrong version...

Originally Posted by firstknight View Post
thanks for the help...

well i have receive mms using fmms.

my setting was taken from a list of settings for telcos.

also i have taken settings from my my phone too... and send out mms usig my n97 so couldnt be not allowed to send... maybe setting on mmsc but the setting also from ppl used before... but what does the error msg means someth like wrong version...
The way I understand the "403 Forbidden - You are not allowed to communicate with the requested resource." is that your phone is not allowed to use the MMSC for sending - your operator might be blocking sending on IMEI level or something similiar, could always give them a call and ask why you get that as I've seen no other reports, and since message getting is fine the settings should be ok.

After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Slightly late to join fMMS bandwagon but here's my feedback:

fMMS version: 0.2.8
Network: T-Mobile UK
Settings: http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS#T-Mobile_UK
MMS out test: works OK, generally, ie. picture gets through correctly, but on wife's phone (Sony Ericsson S500i also on T-Mobile UK) I get following message instead of text:

Code:
Text fMMSpart6306 was deleted due to: no legal rules found for this media (-1)
MMS in test: works also OK, I get both text and attached picture through correctly, but under the message I get "AAAA" button which does nothing. :-o

Other notes:
  • fMMS should handle errors better. For example, when I tried to send a message initially, I've got notification about resizing image that got stuck for quite long. In the meantime I realised that I'm connected via WiFi, not GPRS. I connected, but fMMS was still stuck on "resizing image". I've had to kill it and once retried - image got resized and sent instantly.
  • I also have intermittent trouble opening incoming message, ie. fMMS gets stuck when "attempting to download MMS" and I have to kill it and retry again, which usually works fine.
  • "T-Mobile MMS" settings are exactly the same as "T-Mobile Internet" APN (for accessing internet generally) with only difference of proxy address, which is not present in "T-Mobile Internet" profile. What is funny tough, that I don't necessarily have to connect manually with "T-Mobile MMS" profile, as connecting via general "T-Mobile Internet" works just fine for MMS too (despite of having "T-Mobile MMS" profile selected in fMMS options).

Sorry in advance if I re-iterate issues that possibly were discussed before, but getting through 48-page thread is somewhat troublesome. :(

That's about it, so far. Despite few inconveniences, fMMS actually does the job and that's great - well done, frals! Since Nokia itself is offering support in fMMS development, I strongly believe it will shortly get very close to perfect solution for seamless MMS support in Maemo as a whole! Actually, I think it already is quite close, but would be much closer if it was integrated with Conversations. :)

The Following User Says Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:
patch to enable logging and removal of hardcoded paths attached.

- all print statments replaced with log.info, for exceptions, log.exception
- logging configurable in logging.conf
- default log file is /tmp/fmms.log
- default log level is DEBUG
- default log file size is 20K, then it rolls over to /tmp/fmms.log1
- log entry shows source module and message, but no date
- should apply cleanly to v0.2.8 (if there is a newer version, I can regenerate patch)

- sent dir now stored in gconf
- no more hardcoded paths in wappushhandler.py
Attached Files
File Type: gz logging_and_hardcoded_paths-v0.2.8.patch.tar.gz (12.6 KB, 90 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to benaranguren For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by evad View Post
MMS out test: works OK, generally, ie. picture gets through correctly, but on wife's phone (Sony Ericsson S500i also on T-Mobile UK) I get following message instead of text:

Code:
Text fMMSpart6306 was deleted due to: no legal rules found for this media (-1)
I think this might be related to what Blackberries encounter, i.e. sloppy SMIL makes the receiver throw away the attachments - it's on "the list" ;D

MMS in test: works also OK, I get both text and attached picture through correctly, but under the message I get "AAAA" button which does nothing. :-o
Could you do 'cat /home/user/.fmms/mms/<transactionid>/AAAA' and guess what type it is? (Transactionid is the string below sender in the "main view")

[*]fMMS should handle errors better. For example, when I tried to send a message initially, I've got notification about resizing image that got stuck for quite long. In the meantime I realised that I'm connected via WiFi, not GPRS. I connected, but fMMS was still stuck on "resizing image". I've had to kill it and once retried - image got resized and sent instantly.
Hmm, did it hang because you changed connection? It really shouldn't - as long as the new connection is up before the actual sending process starts it should be fine, but yes, better error handling is on "the list" as well

[*]I also have intermittent trouble opening incoming message, ie. fMMS gets stuck when "attempting to download MMS" and I have to kill it and retry again, which usually works fine.
How long does it get stuck? It got a timeout of about 60 seconds before giving up on connecting to where the MMS is hosted (think it's 60 seconds, might be 20 or 30 :P).

[*]"T-Mobile MMS" settings are exactly the same as "T-Mobile Internet" APN (for accessing internet generally) with only difference of proxy address, which is not present in "T-Mobile Internet" profile. What is funny tough, that I don't necessarily have to connect manually with "T-Mobile MMS" profile, as connecting via general "T-Mobile Internet" works just fine for MMS too (despite of having "T-Mobile MMS" profile selected in fMMS options).
The setting in fMMS is so far only for connecting if no other connection is active (and getting the proxy settings from), not currently possible to have it autoconnect in the background etc, also being looked into how to solve

That's about it, so far. Despite few inconveniences, fMMS actually does the job and that's great - well done, frals! Since Nokia itself is offering support in fMMS development, I strongly believe it will shortly get very close to perfect solution for seamless MMS support in Maemo as a whole! Actually, I think it already is quite close, but would be much closer if it was integrated with Conversations.
Thanks for the well structured feedback!
Wheter or not Conversation integration is possible or not time will tell, but most other parts of integrating it with the the OS (share via and stuff like that) should be possible in the future

In other news I've refactored the code over the weekend, changed to something resembling a MVC concept and added a sqlite.db for keeping track of stuff in the application, working on showing outgoing mms as well as incoming. Some minor fixes left which I hope to solve during the week and I'll push a new version to -devel

fMMS - MMS for your N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by evad;492621

[*
"T-Mobile MMS" settings are exactly the same as "T-Mobile Internet" APN (for accessing internet generally) with only difference of proxy address, which is not present in "T-Mobile Internet" profile. [U]What is funny tough, that I don't necessarily have to connect manually with "T-Mobile MMS" profile, as connecting via general "T-Mobile Internet" works just fine for MMS too (despite of having "T-Mobile MMS" profile selected in fMMS options.
I also use t-mobile uk but frals mentionioned quite a few posts back that fmms uses a proxy even if its set but unchecked as active in the connection. This means I only have to have one apn set up and it always works to send and receive mms even when i'm browsing normally. Obviously all the apn settings need to be the same apart from the proxy for this to work.

hoggerz

Originally Posted by frals View Post
Problem in fMMS, not yet added word-wrapping and stuff, totally forgot about it, good catch!

Hmm, what filetypes are the images?

Long press (tap-and-hold) on the message and you'll get a menu where you can chose to "Delete"

Thanks for testing

Does it fail to download when you try to redownload or when it's incoming? Could you start the UI from terminal: /opt/fmms/fmms_gui.py, click on a message not yet downloaded and then PM/mail me the output in the terminal? Thanks
It is ok to wrap text now, very efficient. However scrolling by finger is not so smoth as it can when brosing web page. It is wierd.

And I mentioned the e-newspaper before. The pictures coming in as unkonwn type, the extensions are" . unknown". But the images can be opened. And texts and images are still sperated. The orginal mms contain several parts and named as part01, part 02, but it seem fmms cannot arrange the parts in order according to the numbering so the content is a little mixed up.

Previously, when I receive the e-newspaper with another cell phone, the content will be divided into several pages, some pages are texts, some pages contain images.

Hi,
I've installed the latest version from extras and although i've received the sms push message and the messages appear in fmms, i can't receive them, i get "failed to download message". I run fmms_gui.py and got this (sorry i didn't PM it, i seem to not be able to for some reason)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "fmms_gui.py", line 712, in <module>
app = fMMS_GUI()
File "fmms_gui.py", line 30, in __init__
self.ch = ContactH.ContactHandler()
File "/home/opt/fmms/contacts.py", line 17, in __init__
self.contacts = self.ab.get_all_contacts()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_all_contacts'

Originally Posted by Vormulac View Post
Hi,
I've installed the latest version from extras and although i've received the sms push message and the messages appear in fmms, i can't receive them, i get "failed to download message". I run fmms_gui.py and got this (sorry i didn't PM it, i seem to not be able to for some reason)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "fmms_gui.py", line 712, in <module>
app = fMMS_GUI()
File "fmms_gui.py", line 30, in __init__
self.ch = ContactH.ContactHandler()
File "/home/opt/fmms/contacts.py", line 17, in __init__
self.contacts = self.ab.get_all_contacts()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_all_contacts'
Are you running it as root from the terminal? It should be run as user

fMMS - MMS for your N900

Closed Thread

Tags
application, community win, fmms, frals rocks, fralsvsnokia1-0, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, n900, python