Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I use a Jolla as my main device.
Why?

I have my own reasons to prefer it over other systems
Which reasons? (I also use my Jolla as my main device - despite its mediocre calendar and the lack of system-wide copy and paste)

I am just curious what drives you to use the Jolla.

Maybe your answer could give this thread a more positive spin.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So fun to start an OS war and see it evolve

its fun reading while waiting for the Jolla stall/delay blog post.

Anyway. Next will be awesome with MWC! I wonder if Jolla tablet will win any review prices this year.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Like those funny text messages that reboot your iPhone? It's not that uncommon you know.
But how you can call your system better if you make same mistakes.
And yes they failed too and we laughed, when Jolla fail we find excuse - don't you find it ironic. At least treat fails on all sides equaelly

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
But how you can call your system better if you make same mistakes.
And yes they failed too and we laughed, when Jolla fail we find excuse - don't you find it ironic. At least treat fails on all sides equaelly
Do we?

Remind you that my personal preference after Sailfish actually is iOS and we have one of those in our family as there was no compact Sailfish device available when needed. I don't say Sailfish is absolutely and objectively better, I just reminded that such bugs appear and reappear on other platforms too and as they age and get more complicated, it's likely to get more frequent. Such things happen, no way around it. On comparison to UT, I consider Sailfish more user friendly and polished so in that regard it can be said that Sailfish is better - it doesn't mean it's better for everybody. Wouldn't it be boring if there was only one universal OS to rule them all....

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by JoOppen View Post
the lack of system-wide copy and paste
Seriously, what do you mean? Silica components support copy and paste, globally. If I select text in an application, it gets copied to the clipboard and I can paste it into text controls elsewhere. Do you just mean the poor support for it in the browser? You can still paste into text fields, and do both from the address bar. Saying that Sailfish has no global copy and paste is a bit dishonest when you just mean the browser application.

You are right - I mean poor support in browser, email and calendar. So I cannot blame saifish.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
"Global copy and paste" as a phrase keeps coming up (mostly from the celebutrolls) but they actually mean "copy from browser and some non-editable text fields". The first is app-specific (and half implemented, but hidden), the latter may require something new in silica and then apps to flag only certain strings (like, you don't want EVERY string of text to be long-hold copiable, right, copying your battery percentage would be a bit of a strange use-case)

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by JoOppen View Post
I am just curious what drives you to use the Jolla.

Maybe your answer could give this thread a more positive spin.
Three things:
  1. The fact that Jolla (the company) does not even provide the "cloud" services that everyone else pushes their customers to use. I prefer to be in charge of my own data.
  2. The familiarity of the environment. The command line, the directory structure, the development paradigm.
  3. The possibility to do development directly on the device. An SDK is an absolute no-go for me for various personal reasons.

Those three things are enough for me to stick around, despite the daily frustration the damn thing bestows upon me in almost every other aspect. If at least half of these points were addressed then I would be in the seventh heaven, even without a proper select&copy in the browser and working folder support in the email client.

Last edited by pichlo; 2016-02-17 at 21:19. Reason: cut out an unfinished sentence

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
you don't want EVERY string of text to be long-hold copiable
I do! (Yes, including the battery status.)

BTW, I want not just the text. I want the formatting too. If part of the text is in a different font, underlined or whatnot, I want that preserved when I paste it in an application that supports text formatting. I want to select and copy a section from a website including pictures.

But most of all, I want a damn separation of "select" and "copy", as outlined in point 2 here.

You know, nothing big. Just some sensible default

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
But most of all, I want a damn separation of "select" and "copy"
I have a friend who at this point would berate you for your Windows ctrl+c ctrl+v heresy. But he still calls it a buffer.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund