Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Acknowledged.

Copy that General Dave

Not much ...been a long night...
just wondering what has you up at such a time..

now 0613 zulu here.

Over.

( I have my RROC-AN ....Restricted Radio Operators License for AeroNautical ... as well as a few other licenses ...good for the gov't security work I do....)
Sharing a bottle of Chablis and waiting for the extra big moon around the 14th...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Sharing a bottle of Chablis and waiting for the extra big moon around the 14th...
It's the 12th, man! How long do you expect one bottle to last?

Talking about booze and cosmic affairs... Have you seen this? We at work have concluded what it was. The ISS crew jettisoned the beer keg after the Armistice Day celebrations.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It's the 12th, man! How long do you expect one bottle to last?

Talking about booze and cosmic affairs... Have you seen this? We at work have concluded what it was. The ISS crew jettisoned the beer keg after the Armistice Day celebrations.
I hope a couple of minutes. But I hope longer than its take for you to complete this paper: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/help/moonorbit.html

12th you say, fine by me then...but is it correct? You tell me...

Why so super? The moon's orbit around the Earth is slightly elliptical, so sometimes it's closer and sometimes it's farther away. When the moon is full as it passes closest to the Earth, it's called a "supermoon." At that point, it can be as much as 14 percent closer to the Earth than at apogee, or when it's furthest away.

The proximity makes the full moon appear much larger in diameter and because it is larger, it shines 30 percent more moonlight onto the Earth.

I'm out of wine...BARTENDER! Moonshine please.

Moon...shine. Get it? what country will provide the best moonshine?

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-11-13 at 00:31.

Please share your moon shine!

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Please share your moon shine!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YP2ug15Uzm..._moon-wide.jpg
Nice picture but unfortunately that's pretty heavily edited composite image

If it was shot on a real situation, for the FOV it'd require just about 1000mm tele with a 1.6 crop DSLR (the angular FOV is about 1.4 degrees as far as I can estimate) and the atmospherical clarity does not match that kind of distance.
Also getting a balanced exposure is not possible from that kind of setup; remember that the surface of the moon is in bright sunlight (exp. f8, iso100, 1/200s) and the surroundings are in near darkness...

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Nice picture but unfortunately that's pretty heavily edited composite image

If it was shot on a real situation, for the FOV it'd require just about 1000mm tele with a 1.6 crop DSLR (the angular FOV is about 1.4 degrees as far as I can estimate) and the atmospherical clarity does not match that kind of distance.
Also getting a balanced exposure is not possible from that kind of setup; remember that the surface of the moon is in bright sunlight (exp. f8, iso100, 1/200s) and the surroundings are in near darkness...
You are probably right. why do we call our moon the moon. But we gives the moons of other planets actual names. It doesn't make sense.

This is real...

It's Gandalf the red...

Our moon is pretty booring. Could atleast have some snow, sea or a twin moon.

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-11-13 at 20:23.

Wake up! Its time for super size moon!

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
why do we call our moon the moon. But we gives the moons of other planets actual names.
Sorry to provide a boring answer but the fact is that it is actually the other way around. We have called our moon the Moon for millennia. It was always special, the biggest and brightest celestial object after the Sun. It even occupied its own celestial sphere. No wonder we gave it a name.

Then came the 17th century and we found out that our Moon is just a natural satellite and that other planets have their moons too. It was too late to rename ours so we had to come up with names for theirs.

Bot our Moon is special after all. There is no other planet we know of that has a moon so large in relation to its host planet's size. Pluto's moon is larger, to the point that Pluto and its moon orbit a common centre of gravity that is outside the Pluto's interior. But sadly, Pluto is no longer a planet so our Earth-Moon system is unique again.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Sorry to provide a boring answer but the fact is that it is actually the other way around. We have called our moon the Moon for millennia. It was always special, the biggest and brightest celestial object after the Sun. It even occupied its own celestial sphere. No wonder we gave it a name.

Then came the 17th century and we found out that our Moon is just a natural satellite and that other planets have their moons too. It was too late to rename ours so we had to come up with names for theirs.

Bot our Moon is special after all. There is no other planet we know of that has a moon so large in relation to its host planet's size. Pluto's moon is larger, to the point that Pluto and its moon orbit a common centre of gravity that is outside the Pluto's interior. But sadly, Pluto is no longer a planet so our Earth-Moon system is unique again.
If one does not like Moon for a name. You can always use its Latin name which is Luna and is acceptable in many circles.

I think you Are on to something here. Why is it special. Pluto got the the biggest moon circling a rock that was a planet but the planet status was revoked. That is also pretty special?

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson