Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quim has made it clear (as he is able) that he's not worried about Friday's announcement, and the speculation is just so much nonsense, so that means he's not about to lose his MeeGo job:

Zen quote of the day: Patience

The link has a picture of a chess player. In a later tweet, he emphasises the importance of that picture.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
As I've said before and I truly believe it, M$ will never allow it's core services or software to run on Linux. It will NEVER happen. Not over Monkey Boy Ballmer's dead, cold body. M$ will always consider Linux to be a disease. So MeeGo, if it survives at Nokia, will be excluded from this collaboration with M$.
Yes, but will M$ allow Qt to be run on Windows? I would think that would be more important to Nokia.

Microsoft is not Apple. Of course they will allow Qt on Windows.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Quim has made it clear (as he is able) that he's not worried about Friday's announcement, and the speculation is just so much nonsense, so that means he's not about to lose his MeeGo job:

Zen quote of the day: Patience

The link has a picture of a chess player. In a later tweet, he emphasises the importance of that picture.
The problem is, Nokia seems to be playing chess with itself:

Nokia: Your move.
Nokia: Checkmate.
Nokia: Dammit!
Nokia: You shouldn't have moved the queen.
Nokia: I don't like this game, let's play checkers.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Yes, but will M$ allow Qt to be run on Windows? I would think that would be more important to Nokia.
I'd bet Qt-based applications on Windows will never happen, not even if Nokia goes WP7. See qole's post #439 in this thread about the already-announced collaboration "on the design, development and sales/marketing of productivity solutions for the mobile professional, bringing Microsoft Office Mobile and Microsoft business communications, collaboration and device management software to Nokia’s Symbian devices." Such a M$/Nokia collaboration does not require Qt on Windows.

The Qt/MeeGo/Symbian plan that Nokia already has in place is such a good concept and they've invested so much into it already that my gut feeling is Nokia sticks with it. I take Elop's message to be not anti-MeeGo but more 'The Symbian platform we've stood on for so long is in a death spiral, so we've gotta get our butts in gear on MeeGo big time!' IOW the "burning platform" he's speaking of is Symbian, not MeeGo.

But then again...M$ has very, VERY deep pockets. They finally must have realized the future is mobile and therefore that the success of WP7 is crucial. After the Kin flamed out so spectacularly they know how tough the market is. No telling what kinda sweet deal M$ is willing to throw at Nokia to go WP7. Billions of $$$ kinda sweet no doubt.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
...and I think the cold water that the burning platform guy needs to jump into is MeeGo.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by qole View Post
...and I think the cold water that the burning platform guy needs to jump into is MeeGo.
Just let go of that Mobira Talkman you still use as your mobile... or you'll really sink!

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Ha, wow, I just re-watched the Nokia World 2010 speeches (yes, I have no life)

What a shame... such hope, so many dreams... all to be burned on Elop's gasoline-soaked platform on Friday!

.....oh will they..? dun dun dun DERRR!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to __-_-_-__ For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by __-_-_-__ View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Each time you touch Photoshop or GIMP, a kitten dies.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org