Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Switches: would you consider miniature toggle switch, or rocker switch, in place of slider? Whichever is easier to use, and lives-works for longer. Maybe, piezo switch for easier water-dust-proofing...
Also, has it been mentioned whether Neo900 will (hopefully, yes) include FM transceiver? Will it be capable of using an external antenna for any of the radio-chips: FM, GPS, GSM, Bluetooth, WiFi - and how easy will it be?
Will you be able to get camera hardware button with half-press for focus? It's very comfortable to use, but unfortunately, many "modern" phones have no hardware buttons for camera at all.
Please, add relevant details to the Opening Post of the thread. I regularly re-read it.
Best wishes.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Switches: would you consider miniature toggle switch, or rocker switch, in place of slider? Whichever is easier to use, and lives-works for longer. Maybe, piezo switch for easier water-dust-proofing...
N900 case has slider, so we need to use slider
Also, has it been mentioned whether Neo900 will (hopefully, yes) include FM transceiver?
>>FM receiver/transmitter option with RDS (that is rare)<<. What do you see on N900 regarding FM? What did I write in post #1 about feature-completeness?
Will it be capable of using an external antenna for any of the radio-chips: FM, GPS, GSM, Bluetooth, WiFi - and how easy will it be?
We're planning to make as many antenna connectors as possible available via holes you need to drill into the N900 case when you want to use them.
Will you be able to get camera hardware button with half-press for focus? It's very comfortable to use, but unfortunately, many "modern" phones have no hardware buttons for camera at all.
What do you see on N900 regarding camera-trigger? What did I write in post #1 about feature-completeness?
Please, add relevant details to the Opening Post of the thread. I regularly re-read it.
Best wishes.
I think I added all relevant details in post#1 already.

/jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Frankly, I'm one of people that like hardware slider for locking, very much. Of course, I wouldn't cry if it would be replaced by something, but lets consider user habits too. There should be a nice reason to force us to change it - like, parts availability/price, or, mentioned dust-proof characteristic, if it really does work more reliably than current design.

Also, has it been mentioned whether Neo900 will (hopefully, yes) include FM transceiver?
It was quoted by many users as absolutely-must-have, so I hope yes. I suspect, that parts availability is still evaluated, though.

Will it be capable of using an external antenna for any of the radio-chips: FM, GPS, GSM, Bluetooth, WiFi
GTA04 in current form have connectors for external antennas, at least for GSM and WiFi, if I remember specs correctly. I mentioned this some pages ago (that the more radios get external connectors, the better - preferably, all of them), and, considering negligible costs of it and philosophy of not crippling features that we already have, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't make it (Maybe Neo900 will correct me on this one, but for once, I hope they won't feel free to do it :P )

Good point, and without hardware button for camera, kittens would die. I hope that half-press for focus will be kept as feature parity with N900

/Estel

// edit
Gah, ninjaed again
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-09-14 at 13:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ rochester
Will the neo900 be equipt with a core temp. sensor? I apolize if i missed discussion on this matter.

The Following User Says Thank You to PWN900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PWN900 View Post
Will the neo900 be equipt with a core temp. sensor? I apolize if i missed discussion on this matter.
I guess it will, just as N900 (actually: OMAP3430) is. Maybe on DM3730 it even works
See TI's TRM for DM3730 for details.

Anyway for your planned overclocking any such sensor is *absolutely* useless since the problem with OC in OMAP is *not* about heat in core. It's electromigration (see wikipedia) that kills the chip, not equally spread heat.
There also are microscopic hotspots known in chipdesign, that very locally heat up the chip way more than you'd assume from any averaging temperature sensor, and those hotspots also come and go during milliseconds and will not have any influence whatsoever on the heat sensor.
bottom line: trying to outsmart the chip designers is usually a very silly idea.

/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-14 at 02:36.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Little off-topic, just to sum it up - people tend to bring habits from desktop PC's to embedded systems overclocking. Adding to it, that x86 != ARM, we result in many urban myths about how to attempt serious overclocking for devices like N900 or Neo900. It's just wrong way of doing it.

I have no idea what overclocking potential DM3730 have, or if will be as reliable (aka practically undestroyable) for OC as current N900's chip. I'll be delighted to check it - If you're interested in OC like me, please - be safe and learn about it, it would be shame to damage a ~700 euro device, just because you approach it the same way, like your desktop PC. It's different beast.[/OT]

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
362 votes
>=700€: 50 votes, plus all the "hidden" ones (meanwhile must be ~10 at least)
Of course in any such poll the momentum vanishes after a few days, but we still see new votes. I'm not sure though if it ever would eventually reach the 200 "preorder" threshold. Let's hope next week brings news from Nikolaus, maybe even some nice photos about setting-up GTA04 gear dummies inside N900 case, and we can pick up momentum again with that.

/j

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
So put me down for at least one and I will have to figure out how to finance it without triggering a divorce. Reality is I have spent more on a succession of N900s including my current two. I only need bare boards though, I have six N900 cases including my two working phones though I might need screws.

Last edited by biketool; 2013-09-16 at 08:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Wow joerg_rw thats great thermodynamic concept thanks for bringing that to my attention. It's great to have applyiable concepts to think about on this project

Last edited by PWN900; 2013-09-15 at 05:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PWN900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Little off-topic, just to sum it up - people tend to bring habits from desktop PC's to embedded systems overclocking. Adding to it, that x86 != ARM, we result in many urban myths about how to attempt serious overclocking for devices like N900 or Neo900. It's just wrong way of doing it.

I have no idea what overclocking potential DM3730 have, or if will be as reliable (aka practically undestroyable) for OC as current N900's chip. I'll be delighted to check it - If you're interested in OC like me, please - be safe and learn about it, it would be shame to damage a ~700 euro device, just because you approach it the same way, like your desktop PC. It's different beast.[/OT]

/Estel
Do forgive my new found hobby for arm cortex to be on the ignorant side i was very much coming in to this project with very similar concepts as you might apply to your average pc. All together your comments give me a better idea of how to approach the situation. = When i need to process lots ARP data time counts, do forgive.

Last edited by PWN900; 2013-09-15 at 06:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PWN900 For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!