Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
A few more notions after a day with Jolla.

- Transitions between apps and screens are smooth, (native) applications run smoothly and logically.
- One of the main objectives, to get rid of small buttons and menus, has been completed surprisingly well and they have really moved past N9 in this respect. In some situations there is a button, but even then a swipe gesture to confirm is enough. New swipes and pulley menus are easy to use and efficient.
-I like a lot eg. the way they have gotten rid of the confirm buttons when you delete something. Instead they have a 5 second slider, which you can press if you want to cancel something (it isnīt used for everything). The slider doesnīt slow the user at all and he/she can continue to do other stuff right away.
- I like the way you can peak the time, internet connections, the home view etc., although I suspected it (or actually the fading) earlier.
- I also like that FB and Gtalk are integrated into the message app like on N9.
- The phone comes with a very small number of programs installed, I think nine, of which two are the store and tutorial.
-I havenīt tried many Android apps yet, but Spotify works fine and Whatsapp worked ok as well eventually.
- I really liked how the N9 fit into my hand and the fact that I could easily use it with one hand. Jolla is ok to use with one hand (I have short fingers) and the corners I get used to. Side bezels are ok, up and down bezels could have been a bit thinner. Itīs surprisingly lighweight.
- The camera I havenīt tested yet properly, seems to be ok but probably needs some tuning.

Room for development :
The browser (landscape). The tabs seem to reload every time you choose them. =/ This is something I miss from N9 IF it stays like this.
The camera does not have zoom (I never use it anyway).
No music player controls in the lock screen yet.
4g support still under testing.

As soon as they fix the landscape mode for the browser the biggest annoyance for me seems to be the fact that I have to give the LPM screen on my reliable N9.
You can use Firefox with landscape.

Any issues navigating in spotify. Any error because of android navigation?

What's your take on battery life so far?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post

You can use Firefox with landscape.

Any issues navigating in spotify. Any error because of android navigation?

What's your take on battery life so far?
Thatīs true, havenīt tried it yet though.

No issues with navigating at this point.

Just noticed: if there are supposed to be two speakers at the bottom, only the left one seems to work. Was there someone else reporting this issue earlier?

Edit: Just noticed part 2: there is a pulley menu at the bottom of the media player when playing music, with the options (shuffle, loop, add to playlist) sideways.

Last edited by Tujutzki; 2013-11-28 at 22:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Just noticed: if there are supposed to be two speakers at the bottom, only the left one seems to work. Was there someone else reporting this issue earlier?
Yes so far at least one other owner has already...

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
While CardDAV/CalDAV-support seems limited, from what I read here, I see there's the Buteo sync framework with SyncML on the Jolla. Is this active? And if so, would one be able to configure it with some XML-files, just like on the N9? That would be great, as that would allow me to sync contacts, notes and agenda with MemoToo straight away, perhaps by simply copying those xml files from the N9 to the Jolla. Of course it would be better if there's a GUI for it

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
It says about LTE that it works on 6 continents on the spec sheet.

Not that it might work one day on some continents. Just pure dishonest marketing
I read and understood it totally differently when the current version of the Jolla's web pages were published:
  • phone has technologies and antenna+tuner for working on 6 continents.
  • technologies supported in each country/operator are published later.

I admit it was not described very clearly.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Thatīs true, havenīt tried it yet though.

Yes I reported that a few pages back and wanted to know if that is standard.

Edit: Just noticed part 2: there is a pulley menu at the bottom of the media player when playing music, with the options (shuffle, loop, add to playlist) sideways.
I found that, in fact I like the media player a lot.

I am finding that not many video formats are supported, but that is easily rectified in the future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Yes I reported that a few pages back and wanted to know if that is standard.

I found that, in fact I like the media player a lot.

I am finding that not many video formats are supported, but that is easily rectified in the future.
Yep. Same here. Powerful speaker though!

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
about the second speaker, quite a few Nokia phones as well only had one functional speaker, the second grill was only for aesthetics

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
can play FLAC or MKV container?

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
So, is anybody building a wiki or unofficial FAQ like what we had for the N9 and Harmattan? This thread is really welcome, but as it gets popular, it becomes a nightmare to follow it and get the interesting bits about Jolla/Sailfish, especially things that are actually new (because people post without reading the 40 pages before, which is understandable).

A single place to see news, short reports of features & bugs, videos, and dated updates would be awesome.

By the way, I'm dying to see a video/review/screenshot of the mail app. As someone who needs emails for work, yet is relatively often traveling, mail and calendar apps are the two apps I spend the most time in, by far. Only RSS and Twitter got a lot of attention too recently, but that was strongly correlated with Jolla release.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience