Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

I have the internal card reformatted as ext2 so that I could use it as a default user space. And the way I normally did this was to symlink /home/user/MyDocs to that. So, kaboom.

That's what I'm doing too and the update was smooth without a problem.

Why the *hell* do we have to have an "OS Feature Update" package?? Why can't we update like EVERY OTHER Debian system?? Package by package whenever they're *ready*.

Damnit, this update did not install correctly, it busted my apt, and it reflashed my initfs even though it did not install.

Now I go to reflash.

Last edited by Aisu; 2008-10-03 at 01:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
its to "help" those non-linux users "grasp" app manager...

thats also why there is a red pill mode, even tho i wish sometimes there was a "power user" mode that showed some of the info that red pill does...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by tso View Post
thats also why there is a red pill mode, even tho i wish sometimes there was a "power user" mode that showed some of the info that red pill does...
Well, if you want to patch Application manager up a bit to better allow the use-case (with an toggleable option, preferably), then I'm pretty sure we can work something out for the community distribution.

No problem with this update for me except for deleting my bootmenu options.

However, my tablet seemed to slow down quite a bit with the last upgrade after I cloned the OS to SD. With this update on top of the other one, it seems even slower now.

It seemed faster before I did the cloning. The internal OS seems alot slower now overall. I may have to reflash and just forget the clone to OS. Or, strictly use the cloned os primarily. Although, the only difference I see is a very slight speed in booting and app loading on the cloned OS vs. internal OS. Otherwise, no substantial big improvement.

Last edited by Wzrd; 2008-10-03 at 02:29.

Hi,

Unfortunately I do not have the time to read through the last 42 pages of this thread so if possible could somebody please help with a summary.

What I have learned so far is:

1 If you are booting off an external card you will need to redo the boot menu
2 If you have screen rotation the install may fail (leads to reboot loop)
3 If you have a problem with the install you will need to re-flash
4 You need to make sure you have enough space (on the internal drive) before you start

Does this sound about right?
Is there anything else to go on this list?

If we get a definitive answer I will create a new thread just to save people searching too far and I will correct this post.

Cheers -John

The Following User Says Thank You to johnpad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
If you can clearly identify such problems - ideally including why your tablet got into the state it did - then Bugzilla is the place to log them.
Well,... I for one feel the need to defend this guy... Identify the specific causes?!?!?! How on Earth is anyone supposed to do that when the darn thing keeps rebooting in an endless cycle??? Please read on for more well intentioned chastising...

A 20-page thread of wailing, gnashing of teeth and cries of "G4h, N0ki4 ate my baybeeees" isn't going to help anyone much. At best, it discourages others who've made potentially dangerous modifications from installing the update. At worst, it leaves an impression of poor quality on this release. Given it works for the silent majority, that would be unfortunate.
Well, I certainly hope that it leaves an impression of poor quality... I too have experienced the endless reboot errors on my N800, not only after one upgrade, but after re-flashing and re-upgrading... Shame on Nokia for fostering an Alpha test on us... Potentially dangerous modifications?!?!? This is LINUX we are talking about!!! Modifications are the very life-blood of Open Source!!! We deserve better QA, especially since we purchased a consumer product that is little better to Nokia than a test-bed for their VOIP-phone of the future...

Now, there are some specific things we can identify with this release which are (to be charitable) poor QA. Others which are anti-social:
Again, understatement. IMHO you owe this guy an apology...

The Following User Says Thank You to JaseP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by JaseP View Post
Well,... I for one feel the need to defend this guy... Identify the specific causes?!?!?! How on Earth is anyone supposed to do that when the darn thing keeps rebooting in an endless cycle???
Yes, one doesn't know why it keeps rebooting: no log, not a single error message. Ditto for the Application manager: one doesn't know what's going on when packages are installed (one doesn't even know what packages are installed), one doesn't know when something fails. While problems can often be solved after seeing logs / error messages under Unix, this is not possible here.

Originally Posted by vinc17 View Post
Yes, one doesn't know why it keeps rebooting: no log, not a single error message. Ditto for the Application manager: one doesn't know what's going on when packages are installed (one doesn't even know what packages are installed), one doesn't know when something fails. While problems can often be solved after seeing logs / error messages under Unix, this is not possible here.
Wrong. It's possible, but only if you've anticipated the potential for trouble and cloned to an SD. When you have a non-booting system with a HDD, you can pull it, put it in another system, mount it read-only, and go look at logfiles, etc. Or you can boot off removable media, and examine it. The same is possible with the tablet if you either were running off SD (you can look at the SD in another system) or if you were running flash and have a bootable SD.

There's also some tools that may be ionstalled in the initfs to give you a USB networking (with telnet/ssh) or USB serial connection. This gets you a shell before it loops and you can diagnose/repair things from there.

While there are some issues with this update, they mainly boil down to packaging and package-deployment issues. There is no real inability to diagnose failures, and anyone who can't clone to SD probably couldn't diagnose the failure in any case.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by tso View Post
its to "help" those non-linux users "grasp" app manager...

It would help if you were more specific ;P

Closed Thread

Tags
diablo, os2008, ssu, upgrade