Active Topics

I read somewhere that the headphone jack is on the side of the phone, not top or bottom. Can anyone confirm or deny?
A headphone jack on the side would suck. I probably wouldn't use it unless I have to

Regarding bottom bezel in the newsletter picture, it looks mighty thin. Hope it's like that in real life and compact as possible

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
You might not care for foldable screens, but the general public does.
[citation needed], however 'the general public' usually cares for whatever marketeers want them to care. Not if but when Apple comes out with a QWERTY slider, you can be 100% sure the general public will desire a QWERTY slider more than anything else in the world and will claim that combining the smart elements of the smartphone with the physical elements of the regular phone is the greatest technological breakthrough since sliced bread. It's only a matter of time.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
[...] IMO fingerprint scanner is useless, [...]
I was thinking the same initially, but immediately changed my mind when I installed SFOS on my Xperia X Compact. Since I have a device lock code (my data still isn't encrypted, but the device lock is already a significant layer of security in case of theft/loss of the device), I realized that the unlock with fingerprint feature is extremely useful. It actually made it painless to change the delay before lock from 5 minutes to 0 minutes, because I was not bothered to type the code all the time anymore.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
[citation needed], however 'the general public' usually cares for whatever marketeers want them to care. Not if but when Apple comes out with a QWERTY slider, you can be 100% sure the general public will desire a QWERTY slider more than anything else in the world and will claim that combining the smart elements of the smartphone with the physical elements of the regular phone is the greatest technological breakthrough since sliced bread. It's only a matter of time.
This is very true. It is both appalling and encouraging.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
It's good to have a headphone jack, and it might indeed be interesting to know on which side it sits.
I'm not too fussed about its actual position, but before going crazy over it being "on the side instead of on the top/bottom", one has to first and foremost think deep and hard about which orientation it corresponds to.
Call me Captain Obvious, but having it on the "left side" while using the phone as landscape will have said jack be "on top" when the phone is used with a portrait orientation.
So, which one sucks more/less ?

Now, about the fingerprint reader and NFC, I hope it will be possible (maybe as a "factory" configuration) to have them physically disabled, if not removed.
If it's not possible, please make it so a way to disable them is provided on release.
My tinfoil hat would be thankful.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
I read somewhere that the headphone jack is on the side of the phone, not top or bottom. Can anyone confirm or deny?
A headphone jack on the side would suck. I probably wouldn't use it unless I have to

Regarding bottom bezel in the newsletter picture, it looks mighty thin. Hope it's like that in real life and compact as possible
From the picture in this very newsletter, the Jack port seems to be on the left of the phone when held in landscape mode (or am I seeing something else?). However, it seems to be very close to where the keyboard and the screen overlap, probably somewhere near the Esc key, or even higher. If confirmed, then it is not where the hands should be when holding the phone and typing; I don't think this would be inconvenient for typing.

[Edit] Or maybe this green PCB with what I think is the port beneath it actually goes on the very bottom of the keyboard case when held in landscape mode. If this is the case, then the jack would be on the bottom left corner. Perhaps a bit more in the way for a straight jack, but not too annoying for an angled one.

[Edit 2] Just trying to hold my phone in landscape mode as if I was typing on a keyboard (*sigh*, the last time I used my N900 or TOHKBD was long ago), the bottom left of the keyboard case would actually be much better than the top left.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-02-06 at 16:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
the only use of a fingerprint scanner is if you wish google and other megacorporations have your fingerprints. in any other way it's useless.
Well I forgot my tinfoil hat at home, but I admit that I do have some hope that SFOS does not transmit my data to Google. I wouldn't like it too much with Android, although I'm not so sure any smartphone fingerprint sensor actually scans a detailed fingerprint.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
[...] because I was not bothered to type the code all the time anymore.
I really hope someone will be able to develop Picture Password for whatever non-Android OS that will be ported on the Fx.
That's a feature I grew fond of on my BlackBerry: it's safer than regular passwords (numbers or shapes) when you are in a crowd, and it can be quite quick too (unless RNG hates you and your number is not around your spot... It happened to me a couple times ).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
What I love with the fingerprint sensor on the X Compact is it is on the power button. Since Sailfish X doesn't have double-tap-to-unlock, it means that I have to use the power button to unlock anyway. And when the sensor is on this button, I don't even have to move my finger to do both actions: waking the phone and actually unlocking it. The unlock is almost instantaneous.

It could be even faster if I didn't have to press the power button first. In combination with the Sneak peek feature, it already works without pressing the power button.

Also, Sailfish allows recording several fingerprints, this way I can use several fingers depending on the position of my hand.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-02-06 at 16:52.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I was thinking the same initially, but immediately changed my mind when I installed SFOS on my Xperia X Compact. Since I have a device lock code (my data still isn't encrypted, but the device lock is already a significant layer of security in case of theft/loss of the device), I realized that the unlock with fingerprint feature is extremely useful. It actually made it painless to change the delay before lock from 5 minutes to 0 minutes, because I was not bothered to type the code all the time anymore.
Exactly the same with me, I wasn't too excited by the idea until I actually tried it out and found out how convenient it could be.

Also, to prevent your younger family members and relatives from messing with your phone, a fingerprint unlock is the only way to do it. If you haven't experienced it yourself, you have no idea how devious they can be when it comes to covertly watching you when you enter your PIN. Even if you try to hide the screen from view, they will have narrowed down the PIN to a few possibilities after they have seen you enter it a dozen times or so, and then if you leave your phone unattended for a couple of minutes they're in!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit