Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Even WITH paid apps, how many people out there are running Sailfish?

They've admitted to not hitting sales targets for the phone by a long way and many of even the faithful have given up waiting for bug fixes never mind an app store that has anything other than hobby projects in it.

According to http://reviewjolla.blogspot.co.uk/20...ufacturer.html

"Sailfish OS development takes about 20 million euros per year according to Saarnio."

and Simo guestimated 40,000 phones sold last year but lets be generous and call it 100,000.

You don't need to do the maths to work out that it's just not sustainable even at the current slow rate of development and their model sounds like a complete punt.

I can only presume Saarnio has some mega profitable licencing deal up his sleeve or they're looking to sell the company to some big mega-corp with more money than they know what to do with just to get an OS for their smart TV.
That's the dumbest argument I heard, WHY would google start just being a search engine, hotbot and altavista did it before, just WHY?
With putin(hopefully braziian poresident too) they have suddenly changed from: expensive device with shitty stats into, platform
Ask WHY EVEN android? Google is STUPIDo, why reinvent the wheel, still using hotbot and symbian windows mobile

edit: And you're being disingenous, they did inform their investors that they are changing model, it wasn't like google (ok we got the users, now what? make ads the blessing of new era!), they just adapt, google/MS couldn't

Last edited by szopin; 2015-06-04 at 18:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
I can't stress enough how jolla NOT going for low hanging fruit of advertisements in post google world is awesome, just create a page and put a lot of links to it and 75% covered by ads, this is post-google model, thank you god/google, internet would die without you (thing people actually believe in)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
i know next to nothing about jolla man but i hate waiting.
I had to laugh at that! If you don't like waiting, Jolla is not for you

I can only presume Saarnio has some mega profitable licencing deal up his sleeve or they're looking to sell the company to some big mega-corp with more money than they know what to do with just to get an OS for their smart TV.
I can just see it now... 'one thumb' interface on your 1000" flat-screen TV!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
That's the dumbest argument I heard, WHY would google start just being a search engine, hotbot and altavista did it before, just WHY?
With putin(hopefully braziian poresident too) they have suddenly changed from: expensive device with shitty stats into, platform
Ask WHY EVEN android? Google is STUPIDo, why reinvent the wheel, still using hotbot and symbian windows mobile

edit: And you're being disingenous, they did inform their investors that they are changing model, it wasn't like google (ok we got the users, now what? make ads the blessing of new era!), they just adapt, google/MS couldn't

Back when Google launched it was better than the competition and the internet and it's users was a very different place. I'm old enough to remember using gopher and Archie and having to wait hours for search results BTW.

Jolla isn't at that stage of a technologies development. The market is mature and there are massive competitors. They don't need to reinvent the wheel, they need to invent the hoverboard.

Jolla are looking more like Be than Google. I almost bought a BeBox and used BeOS as my primary OS on a custom built dual celeron for a while before they imploded with their ever changing business models towards the end.

Yes, Jolla have announced (sort of) their new model but do the maths, it doesn't make sense given the current user base. Where are they expecting to get the increase in users, developers, apps, content? Russia? How long is that going to take?

It sounds more like ”Jolla 2" is the second iteration of the company rather than the second phone model.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
It sounds more like ”Jolla 2" is the second iteration of the company rather than the second phone model.
Yeah, they are agile enough to be able to afford refocus when their HW numbers don't meet expectations. At least the naming part is easy (to all who complained about jolla being a phone name(and a tablet))

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Google did just the same as ie. Altavista did, but they did it better (without annoying ads and better search engine). Android entered the market when Nokia was dominating and there were only few touchscreen devices that were distantly pleasant to use. However, it emerged to dominate the market.

As for Jolla, their business model has not been overhauled. From the day one they have been talking about spearhead devices and that they first and foremost are SW, not HW company. But they needed the phone and tablet to gain visibility. Without HW partners willing to launch Sailfish-based devices chances to scaling up are pretty slim. In any event it will take time for Sailfish to gain traction.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Google did just the same as ie. Altavista did, but they did it better (without annoying ads and better search engine).
This sentence
(was hotbot user, so can't confirm the annoying ads)

Last edited by szopin; 2015-06-05 at 07:38. Reason: verify->confirm

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
It is ok to be a believer, that's important and that's how something new comes to life, its like movements that just grows bigger until they hit a critical mass.
But what disturbs me a little is that Jolla actually CAN do better. I love their ideology and all that, but I have become a little irritated over their priorities. Fixing bugs and usability stuff is very very important, yes adding features and glossy stuff too, but without quality they will never pass that threshold of trust. And, like I said, the paid apps thing is very important (if not for me or everyone in the open/free community, I think it is very important for the Jolla to sustain its own life).

I understand they focus a lot now on the tablet and that they have limited resources. But for goodness sake, if doing anything on the phone it is mostly these recurring quality and usability issues that must be managed before anything else on the phone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
I just wanted to say here, after reading so many complaints about the browser, the RAM of the Jolla and so on - I've just tried to use my android phone, which is slightly faster than the Jolla and has the same amount of memory with _only_ the email application open (it can only store up to 25 emails, as opposed to Sailfish's one) and firefox with one very simple page open - I put it back to sleep, I opened it again and it had to reload the web page.

Just saying... the Jolla with Sailfish can deal with _a lot_ more than that, and arguably android is a "market leader", whatever that means ("They chose me to lead not to read" related?).

Anyway, just saying... let's put things in perspective from time to time ;-)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Anyway, just saying... let's put things in perspective from time to time ;-)
Indeed, let's!

My old laptop, purchased in 2004, with Pentium 4 CPU and the same amount of RAM as the Jolla, can handle Firefox with 10 pages open (maybe more, I never had a need to try that, too messy on the screen) without reloads, Firebird email client with 7 active accounts, OpenOffice and DVD Author, all running at the same time. And it still reports 480 MB RAM free.

Just sayin'

Obviously, it is not running Unity or Gnome 3. It is running LXDE. Because that's what you do in a resource-restricted environment. You reduce the bloat.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2