Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Educate others, fine. But what makes you, me or anyone right? Too many people think they know the right answer. Very few do.

Tell an American you can't have a gun at home because the number of guns available trigger more shootings....You might get the answer: I must be able to protect myself

right? wrong?

staying within EU...

right? wrong?

Both cases are impossible choice to know. But to me it's about if you think about others or only think about yourself.
From watching what transpired across the pond, it seems like the vote was more about being in control of your own destiny. I also think all the panic will diffuse. Stocks will go back up and things will pretty much get back to normal although there may be a few small bumps along the way.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

We're ****ed.
The Following User Says Thank You to gerbick For This Useful Post:
pichlo

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
From watching what transpired across the pond, it seems like the vote was more about being in control of your own destiny. I also think all the panic will diffuse. Stocks will go back up and things will pretty much get back to normal although there may be a few small bumps along the way.
This is not what I'd label taking control of ones destiny but just outright bigotry and ignorance. I've seen more shock, horror and misunderstanding than I'd expect from this vote. Farage has withdrawn his statements of the £350 Million per week to NHS claim, Hannan retracted the statements of reduced immigration. The rest of the promises are being retracted and a harsh truth is unfolding... this decision made things harder for the layman and (honestly) lesser educated.

It's easy for me, as an American to point the finger at this moment; we've yet to fulfill our own situation where the divisions and prejudices have yet to become that apparent.

Yet.

But rest assured, it will happen.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
From watching what transpired across the pond, it seems like the vote was more about being in control of your own destiny.
Yes, those were the exact words the demagogues used. Take back control. That empty phrase has won the public vote.

Here is a lesson for you guys on the other side of the pond. Do you want to win an election? If you want to beat Trump, you must speak like Trump. Speaking like a university graduate will in the best case only confuse, in the worst case alienate Joe/Jane Public. Do not use logic and hard numbers. If the other side does, just dismiss them off-hand ("we are all tired of experts"). You do not need to provide a different set of numbers to contradict them. Just keep telling the common people what they want to hear and you are golden.

I also think all the panic will diffuse. Stocks will go back up and things will pretty much get back to normal although there may be a few small bumps along the way.
No one argued that it would be the end of the world. Only that the growth rate would be different one way versus the other.

The main concern is now not the economy. It is the rising tide of open xenophobia. Not only on this increasingly isolated island but, unfortunately, worldwide. Yes, I am worried. We have seen what that lead to 80 years ago not so far from here.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Farage has withdrawn his statements of the £350 Million per week to NHS claim, Hannan retracted the statements of reduced immigration. The rest of the promises are being retracted and a harsh truth is unfolding.
Wow. I am deeply impressed. I did not realize you had access to such details. Did you follow the events specifically and directly from the source?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, those were the exact words the demagogues used. Take back control. That empty phrase has won the public vote.
I'm no expert in the UK political system, but wasn't that phrase even worse than empty? You'll get a new prime minister eventually, but won't he or she be chosen by the ruling party, or actually the elite of the ruling party? Someone's taking back control, but the new boss is same as the old boss -- except more so, I'd guess.

At least that's what I pieced together from John Oliver and the analysis they did on the local alt-rock station afternoon show.

Good luck. We'll need some here, too.

Wow. I am deeply impressed. I did not realize you had access to such details. Did you follow the events specifically and directly from the source?
I have deep ties with Britain. Lived there twice, felt like it was more of a home to me than even America at times. I still have friends, family and business partners/contracts there.

Was looking to move back to Britain perhaps in 2017. That's been pushed back indefinitely now.

I've been following along by proper media outlets (read: absolutely nothing from the US) and by discussions with the aforementioned lot.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Here is a lesson for you guys on the other side of the pond. Do you want to win an election? If you want to beat Trump, you must speak like Trump. Speaking like a university graduate will in the best case only confuse, in the worst case alienate Joe/Jane Public. Do not use logic and hard numbers. If the other side does, just dismiss them off-hand ("we are all tired of experts"). You do not need to provide a different set of numbers to contradict them. Just keep telling the common people what they want to hear and you are golden.
That reminds me of this. The sad thing is that it's actually not far from reality.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Wicket, it just hit me. You have Viktor Vaughn as your avatar. Should have picked that up ages ago.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
I wasn't really sure that anyone on this forum would pick that up. Well played.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Do you think UK leaders actually have the balls to leave EU(even with the votes to back it up) and be the Ones responsibility for breaking up UK in the process?

Or do they chicken out and stalling

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-06-26 at 18:09.

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson