Active Topics

its anyways more than this driver. but 2.6.28 i'd say really is a no go. unless you realy copy half of maemo and even in this case expect problems. i mean: you can get it to work but the result will be either a maemo or somthing that is neither maemo nor ubuntu.

usable kernels start with 2.6.35(thats what ubuntu uses) together with bugfixes. 2.6.36 slowly becomes usable, still needs patches.

btw: i still need a frontend for the phone.

EDIT1: i think 2.6.33 was the first kernel that was able to boot but thats more like: "hurray we booted it".
EDIT2:2.6.37 might be tempting but i didn't see a lot of improvements so 2.6.36 with patches still seems the best to go atm.

EDIT3:segfauts and oopses are to expect unless everything is sane. and maemo kernel on ubuntu sure is not.
EDIT3: whatchout for thumb code as well....

Originally Posted by preflex View Post
I'm still having trouble with bluetooth on 10.10 and 2.6.28.10-power45.

I copied everything in /lib/firmware and /lib/modules,
but the system->settings->bluetooth says I have no bluetooth hardware.
I tried:

but still nothing

Any hints?

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-23 at 09:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to lunat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
usable kernels start with 2.6.35(thats what ubuntu uses) together with bugfixes. 2.6.36 slowly becomes usable, still needs patches.

btw: i still need a frontend for the phone.

EDIT1: i think 2.6.33 was the first kernel that was able to boot but thats more like: "hurray we booted it".
I haven't had any trouble booting, logging in, and getting online with firefox (once everything is set up). I would describe it as mostly usable on 2.6.28-power45.

Unfortunately, the new microSD i just got in the mail today is garbage and has already failed, so i'm still installing to the emmc.

I've got bootmenu-n900 loading after uboot. Can I use uboot to dual-boot a different kernel from the emmc? Sorry for the lame question, but I don't really know where to begin with that one.

I would try karmic, but I've never been able to get around the inverted touchscreen when using kernel-power. Perhaps now that I have a BT mouse, it'd be worth giving it another shot.

Anyone know the command to run the bluetooth settings from the terminal on karmic?

a) uboot: yes. works fine. just point it to the kernel and the rootpartition and it boots.

b) your problem with bluetooth has little to do with ubuntu but something to do with maemo and how to set up bluetooth under maemo. as you are not using ubuntu but maemo you should be able to use the maemo stack for bluetooth and have no problem at all.
c) login: did you realize that it is a unfinished ubuntu setup or did you finalize the ubuntu setup? how did you get your useraccount? i guess you did a chroot and never came across the real problems...
d) networkmanager: is it working? powermanagment applet(any from ubuntu): does it work? or do you have the bme in the background? how does ubuntu interact with bme? could you successfully make a call with ubuntu?

EDIT: to that networmanager: ubuntu needs something to enable the phone. so what do you use? ubuntu's phonstack is telepathy-ring with ofono and on top maybe empathy. try it and look into you logs. and you'll see!

I haven't had any trouble booting, logging in, and getting online with firefox (once everything is set up). I would describe it as mostly usable on 2.6.28-power45.

Unfortunately, the new microSD i just got in the mail today is garbage and has already failed, so i'm still installing to the emmc.

I've got bootmenu-n900 loading after uboot. Can I use uboot to dual-boot a different kernel from the emmc? Sorry for the lame question, but I don't really know where to begin with that one.

I would try karmic, but I've never been able to get around the inverted touchscreen when using kernel-power. Perhaps now that I have a BT mouse, it'd be worth giving it another shot.

Anyone know the command to run the bluetooth settings from the terminal on karmic?

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-23 at 12:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to lunat For This Useful Post:
a) uboot: yes. works fine. just point it to the kernel and the rootpartition and it boots.
Thanks! I'll have to look that up.

b) your problem with bluetooth has little to do with ubuntu but something to do with maemo and how to set up bluetooth under maemo. as you are not using ubuntu but maemo you should be able to use the maemo stack for bluetooth and have no problem at all.
Sounds great. I'll have to look into that too!

c) login: did you realize that it is a unfinished ubuntu setup or did you finalize the ubuntu setup? how did you get your useraccount? i guess you did a chroot and never came across the real problems...
naturally. After setting up the user account in the chroot, I remove linux-image* (to avoid problems with updates), and then install openssh-server and wicd.

d) networkmanager: is it working?
No, but wicd works.

powermanagment applet(any from ubuntu): does it work?
haven't checked.

could you successfully make a call with ubuntu?
I'm really not too worried about phone stuff at the moment. Presumably, if i can get my BT headset working, i could just use ekiga and sip over wifi. This would be find for me.

Really, my main reason for wanting to do this is to get a normal window manager and full keyboard support. I know i could just use easy debian for a window manager, but ctrl and alt don't work even with the bt-hid scripts. And my bluetooth keyboard performs even worse inside easydebian.

Thanks for your help. I'm not really bothered if the OS i use is some sort of Frankenstein hybrid between ubuntu and maemo, as long as it meets my needs.

naturally. After setting up the user account in the chroot, I remove linux-image* (to avoid problems with updates), and then install openssh-server and wicd.
yeah. the real fun starts if you realy do the first boot. it initializes the system askes you for login, for your locals(keyboard), the timezone...
and somwhere in the process... it crashes(while you are going through the wizard, networkmager probes the devices and ... ). thats what i ment with you missed a lot of fun.

you could simply chroot from maemo. some "easy ubuntu" (like the easy debian only with ubuntu ) in that case you have everything set up from maemo and the desktop from ubuntu(not completly stable but not too bad a solution if it is for the apps or the windowmanager and omitting a lot trouble ).

yeah. the real fun starts if you realy do the first boot. it initializes the system askes you for login, for your locals(keyboard), the timezone...
and somwhere in the process... it crashes(while you are going through the wizard, networkmager probes the devices and ... ). thats what i ment with you missed a lot of fun.
Why doesn't it do this when running the maemo kernel? I would have figured gdm would just launch that if there were no user accounts or something. This is a kernel thing? I suppose it's more complicated than i'd thought.

you could simply chroot from maemo. some "easy ubuntu" (like the easy debian only with ubuntu ) in that case you have everything set up from maemo and the desktop from ubuntu(not completly stable but not too bad a solution if it is for the apps or the windowmanager and omitting a lot trouble ).
For me, the problem with this is the poor BT keyboard support inside maemo (no ctrl, alt, fn, or key repeat). I was hoping it would be better in ubuntu.

Why doesn't it do this when running the maemo kernel? I would have figured gdm would just launch that if there were no user accounts or something. This is a kernel thing? I suppose it's more complicated than i'd thought.
the crashing and nm working or not is a kernel thing. that the dialog doesn't apear is not: the image as is, is not prepared to pop it up. meaning in essence if you don't use a chroot you end up with no login and if you use a chroot the setup is not finalized.

For me, the problem with this is the poor BT keyboard support inside maemo (no ctrl, alt, fn, or key repeat). I was hoping it would be better in ubuntu.
sory can't help you with that, my tries with bluetoth go as far as to pair with another machine. don't know anything about the keyboard issue. but as an idea: did you try to fuss with the xconfiguration of maemo? i can imagine that it just uses the keyboard definition it was told to use with the n900 keyboard and you need a second section for the other keyboard with a different kb type? but i don't know what i am talking about in this regard so thats only an idea ..,

Originally Posted by lunat View Post
sory can't help you with that, my tries with bluetoth go as far as to pair with another machine. don't know anything about the keyboard issue. but as an idea: did you try to fuss with the xconfiguration of maemo? i can imagine that it just uses the keyboard definition it was told to use with the n900 keyboard and you need a second section for the other keyboard with a different kb type? but i don't know what i am talking about in this regard so thats only an idea ..,
I'm using the bt-hid scripts on maemo to handle the bluetooth keyboard, and others have also had similar complaints. 100% keyboard support seems to be a no-go, at least for now. This thread looks promising: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...548#post872548

Inside ubuntu, after actually entering the right command, (i'd goofed up on previous attempts, leaving out the first "modprobe;")I was able to pair the keyboard, but it didn't seem to actually do anything. I guess i'll be messing with the ubuntu xorg.conf this weekend.

My usb bluetooth adapter for my laptop should be arriving tomorrow, perhaps that will help me gain some insight on to how to handle this in ubuntu.

Last edited by preflex; 2010-11-24 at 11:06.

i finished all mission
when i choose ubuntu from multiboot the phone stay in white screen in multiboot and phone freez

what is the problem ??

sorry for my bad english

Last edited by sajjji; 2010-11-24 at 15:55.

Originally Posted by sajjji View Post
what is the problem ??
try with frambuffer enabled and see what causes the trouble.

Tags
bada rox