just wanted to say thank you penguinbait, installed KDE tonight and all went well. can't wait to play with it more.

I have been searching for a way to uninstall KDE from my IT WITHOUT REFLASHING THE UNIT !! I am Dual Booting and runing KDE 4 . But i Am in need for space and i like to remove/uninstall . I went to app's and removed the KDE-install deb but as you know it did not remove KDE.. Is there a set of commands i can do to delete KDE ? Please someone help me .. I am going away this week and i need the space.. recloning or reflashing is a pain as i have to much stuff setup to start playing like that befor i go.

Thanks
Computerfreek

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by computerfreek View Post
I have been searching for a way to uninstall KDE from my IT WITHOUT REFLASHING THE UNIT !! I am Dual Booting and runing KDE 4 . But i Am in need for space and i like to remove/uninstall . I went to app's and removed the KDE-install deb but as you know it did not remove KDE.. Is there a set of commands i can do to delete KDE ? Please someone help me .. I am going away this week and i need the space.. recloning or reflashing is a pain as i have to much stuff setup to start playing like that befor i go.

Thanks
Computerfreek
If you used this process, just uninstall in the reversr order you installed.

Are you booting from SD? If you are booting from SD, then you did not install via the tree deb process?

If you installed boot from SD and need the space.

rm -rf /usr/local/kde
will remove KDE for the most part

I am just not clear what your position is?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
If you used this process, just uninstall in the reversr order you installed.

Are you booting from SD? If you are booting from SD, then you did not install via the tree deb process?

If you installed boot from SD and need the space.

rm -rf /usr/local/kde
will remove KDE for the most part

I am just not clear what your position is?

I am booting n810 from SD with the updeted boot menu for the newest os 2008 . on a 4 gb card I did not use the install-tools deb i set that part up my self " bootmenu / partion and stuff.."

All i used was one deb the KDE 4 installer . Just like to remove it to give my space back.

rm -rf /usr/local/kde worked gave me back some space

Thanks

computerfreek

Last edited by computerfreek; 2008-06-29 at 01:13. Reason: Update

Originally Posted by computerfreek View Post

I am booting n810 from SD with the updeted boot menu for the newest os 2008 . on a 4 gb card I did not use the install-tools deb i set that part up my self " bootmenu / partion and stuff.."

All i used was one deb the KDE 4 installer . Just like to remove it to give my space back.

rm -rf /usr/local/kde worked gave me back some space

Thanks

computerfreek
http://penguinbait.com/kde-remover-v4.deb

Description: This will remove KDE v4
This process will leave behind files and is not clean
If you really want to completely remove the files left behind
you should reclone your OS. I cannot completely remove everything
So some files will be left, but the majority of the space will be regained

That is the description from the deb.

I am sorry but thats the best I can do. I tested it one time. I was still able to boot afterward. I cannot promise this wont break anything?

Just install it and then uninstall it
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
http://penguinbait.com/kde-remover-v4.deb

Description: This will remove KDE v4
This process will leave behind files and is not clean
If you really want to completely remove the files left behind
you should reclone your OS. I cannot completely remove everything
So some files will be left, but the majority of the space will be regained
Just install it and then uninstall it
That worked great !! Thank you it uninstalled and removed the icon from my menu .. n810 still boots up too .. I will reinstall KDE when i get a new bigger SD card ..

Thank you

Computerfreek

The Following User Says Thank You to computerfreek For This Useful Post:
I decided to give this a try, but when I try to install local-mmc2 I get an "Unable to Install message."

I have the MMC2 files on a 2GB External card and the Internal Card is also a 2 GB.

I am running Diablo on an N800

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

Nevee
Never mind, I decided no to try this.

Last edited by jcherepy; 2008-07-07 at 01:29. Reason: Changed my mind

OK, I got bored and decided to try this again on my N800. I made two more attempts and, of course, both failed. Once for not enough memory and the second time for several pages worth of messages in the App Manager log. Perhaps I'm just not smart enough to understand the installation instructions. If I want to install to MMC1 do I download and run the MMC1 files on MMC1 or MMC2? I tried reading this forum, but 40 pages worth was just a bit much.

I'm going to reflash again as soon as the battery is charged. The N800 is just a toy (my Asus Eee is my main carry-around machine), so if I @#$%^ it up, no biggie.

Thanks,

Bill

Originally Posted by jcherepy View Post
OK, I got bored and decided to try this again on my N800. I made two more attempts and, of course, both failed. Once for not enough memory and the second time for several pages worth of messages in the App Manager log. Perhaps I'm just not smart enough to understand the installation instructions. If I want to install to MMC1 do I download and run the MMC1 files on MMC1 or MMC2? I tried reading this forum, but 40 pages worth was just a bit much.

I'm going to reflash again as soon as the battery is charged. The N800 is just a toy (my Asus Eee is my main carry-around machine), so if I @#$%^ it up, no biggie.

Thanks,

Bill
This is not working with Diablo, and will not be updated, please use boot from SD installers

Boot from SD is the preferred method of installing KDE.

DEB to make your system boot from SD
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19639

KDE boot from sd installer
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20317

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-07-07 at 22:26.

I decided to give this one more shot. Of course, it failed. I tried installing Install Tools and I received a "Can not Install" message. I tried to send you a Private Message, but the log was over 7,000 characters, too long to include. So, the N800 goes in the drawer.

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35, koffice