Active Topics

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
A little OT:

S*itPhone 6+ bends and breaks in your pocket...

Am I hearing someone to be still complaining about Jollas build quality?

The Following User Says Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I have no complaints on the hardware, given the price. I was very disappointed by the lack of NFC though and the price for a replacement screen, the latter is of course a volume thing, the more sold the cheaper replacement parts will be.

The fact that Jolla would not do repairs outside of Finland for a while was very poor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
the funny is... jolla repair your broken screen for 210-230€? (i think i remember to read this price here)

and in India, you get over snapdeal, the complet phone for 210€ ... of course, no shipping incl.

Jolla is not the only one having expensive replacement screens. In the past I was in position where I was handling all phone related issues in company. We were using mostly Lumia's but also some Android stuff. There were cases where phones were dropped and screens were broken. Asked for replacement, and it cost more than buying a new phone, so those never got repaired. Basically, if warranty or insurance doesn't cover it, throw it away and buy a new one if you are not prepared to repair it by yourself using some cheap replacement parts from eBay...

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I have no complaints on the hardware, given the price. I was very disappointed by the lack of NFC though and the price for a replacement screen, the latter is of course a volume thing, the more sold the cheaper replacement parts will be.

The fact that Jolla would not do repairs outside of Finland for a while was very poor.
Jolla phone has NFC.
And sure, not doing repairs outside of Finland can be a bummer. But even big companies do it that way. My mum had a Nokia Lumia 820 1,5 years ago. Screen broke without doing anything to make it break and she had to send it for 200 euros to some Nokia Repair Facility in Finland.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Jolla phone has NFC.
No it does not, not in a usable way. The NFC chip is low power and only used for TOH identification it will not penetrate the outer case.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
No it does not, not in a usable way. The NFC chip is low power and only used for TOH identification it will not penetrate the outer case.
NFC payments are possible with Jolla phone so yes, it does penetrate.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
That news may surprise Jolla the company, given the following very explicit comment by Jolla engineer Jonni Rainisto

"... no, NFC hardware antenna has limited range reserved for TOH only"
when specifically asked if any additional NFC functionality might be made available.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland

Originally Posted by strongm View Post
That news may surprise Jolla the company, given the following very explicit comment by Jolla engineer Jonni Rainisto

"... no, NFC hardware antenna has limited range reserved for TOH only"
when specifically asked if any additional NFC functionality might be made available.
Well, it might be that the NFC is specified low-power, enough just to read the tag next to it but there's nothing that prevents it to be a bit more longrange.

Actually I would be really surprised if it was even possible to tune the output power so precisely that it would reliably read the TOH tag and at the same time be incapable of reading an external tag.
(NFC's designed to be able to read multiple tags in the vicinity simultaneously, BTW)

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, it might be that the NFC is specified low-power, enough just to read the tag next to it but there's nothing that prevents it to be a bit more longrange.

Actually I would be really surprised if it was even possible to tune the output power so precisely that it would reliably read the TOH tag and at the same time be incapable of reading an external tag.
(NFC's designed to be able to read multiple tags in the vicinity simultaneously, BTW)
Odd that no one has managed to do that, then, eh?