Active Topics

Poll: Does Maemo.org need more Moderation?
Poll Options
Does Maemo.org need more Moderation?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Yes it needs! so I learn to shut up and dont start flamewars...

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
I agree with everything you said.

My initial point however, which I'll say again, there is a difference (to me) with a little, some, a lot, and overboard moderation. I'm not calling for more moderators (bodies), but a little tighter standards on the Chuck Norrises () that run wild here.

Again, if I’m being too stuffy I'll admit the error of my ways, and beat myself accordingly.
Agreed. As I'm typing this approximately 32% of the voters are requesting more moderation, 11% claim they didn't realize there are moderators, and 56% presumably think it's fine (28% No, 28% relax). I expect the beating to commence forthwith

On a more serious note, I understand where you're coming from. Texrat could confirm that I reported a couple of thread recently that I thought were over the line. Once upon a time I even started a thread specifically for speculation on the N900 because many people were whining that speculation was cluttering up other threads and burying the few useful tidbits that were out there. I started it based on my belief that the people interested in speculation could do so there, and the people that weren't could ignore the thread. I believe it ended up being a rather long thread (short by today's standards) and served the intended purpose. While I occasionally disagree with some of the moderation (or lack of), on the whole I feel they do a pretty good job, for what is a pretty thankless task.

Now, if I can ask a serious question:
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
I was reading a thread that asked "Is Meego dead for Nokia?" . In the first 5 posts the initial, honest question was answered politely and accurately.
Which of the first 5 post (excluding the op) are you referring to?

1)Nope. Still going. Be patient.

2)Yeah yeah, "patience." How long will that take?

3)As far as Nokia is concerned MeeGo IS dead as they gave up on that idea to join with Microsoft.

4)sry but when you think you can make a better company, then create your own [cut] because everyone hacks on nokia. other companys are not better.

5)Not true, MeeGo is changed from a "next generation OS to succeed high end smartphones thus pushing Symbian to mid-tier and low-end phones" to a "project in Nokia" aka "we are going with WP7 but will keep MeeGo in case WP7 turn into a turd..."
The information that I've read (elsewhere) doesn't exactly equate to being "dead", but it sure doesn't give me the feeling that MeeGo (for Nokia, not the N900) is alive and kicking. In fact, after reading through post #20, I didn't see anything that convincingly answers the original question (for me). It's really a matter of interpretation and opinion.

But more importantly, probably something like 75%+ of the threads here don't interest me, and oddly enough, I haven't read them (nor have I commented in them or on them). If you find a thread doesn't interest you, or you think has gone past its' prime, feel free to ignore it. Contrary to your opinion, others here may still find the thread useful.

There are plenty of examples of threads that based on initial responses could have been closed, but remained open, and proved the initial responses were wrong (overclocking, usb port problems, usb host, just to name a few). There are also plenty of threads that veered off-topic for a while, but eventually wandered back to either the original intent, or a similar intent, and remained useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
All the recent departures? I can only recall two recent departures - one was voluntary, the other not.
Did I miss something while I was away? Who was it?
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
We try to encourage at least a little bit of this thing we call "fun" here.
Never heard of it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
EDIT: How about adding an option to vote the thread to off topic or vote to closed the thread? That would be great.

I vote for this thread to be closed.

1 vote for closing down this thread.
39 votes left before closing time.
The problem with this option is that there are literally mobs of people on this site who would join a thread only to close it down (because it discussed Android, for example). A mob with a majority is still a mob.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Never heard of it.
I blame the PR outfit.