Active Topics

Poll: Do you agree to recommend to talk.maemo.org admins that abill_uk should be permanently banned?
Poll Options
Do you agree to recommend to talk.maemo.org admins that abill_uk should be permanently banned?

Closed Thread
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
If i am banned then bang goes any work i would do for this Community so one way or the other it will take its course.
Wow, and at the same time bang goes any invention that would have ended all wars on earth that you also would have worked on here. A shame really.

Totally bizzare situation and if it carries on like this then to be honest i am out of here anyhow.
This and the N9. I can't wait for all this to happen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
All you seem to do on here Carsten is bash Maemo and tell everyone how wonderfull MeeGo is and why devs should join MeeGo and not develop for Maemo !.
Did you ever stop to wonder why I might be having my opinions?

* The Hildon and Maemo GTK+ line is a dead end and has been announced as such, long ago. The 50k EUR effort by Igalia to bring it up to date seems to give no benefit to maemo.org and Maemo5 which upsets me too.
* There is next to zero chance that Maemo5 applications would be open source, as this requires significant time and effort to clean up code, do legal checks, etc. Time that is better used for other things. In addition to that, the amount of people that can reasonably deal with that code here is greatly diminishing.
* I have intimate knowledge of Maemo, this community and my opinions stem from there.
* I have nothing against CSSU, in fact I was among the first to suggest it for Maemo4 and I've helped when people asked me questions. I use CSSU myself.
* I am of the opinion that we shouldn't push people towards dead ends as it wastes valuable community resources. People can contribute fixes and perhaps new features to CSSU but honestly, if you want a long term solution, MeeGo is the way to go.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I stand for the people and owners of the N900 and as it runs Maemo it is the best way forward.
Even if I were to agree with abill_uk's point (mostly due to subconscious "the devil you know" desire), his posts do not really rightfully represent such point of view and are more of a chaotic nature. And he has got way too many chances to prove he's really a contributing member of this forum.

He stands for no one. Do not be fooled.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
In response to Acidspunk,

I think that is the crux of the matter. Apart from the senseless petition to Nokia, how has abill balanced his posting with positive contributing actions? i can accept his postings and negative presence if he balanced it up with being a tester or developer.
I would even go so far as to not support this vote if he had contributed meaningfully but for all his posting, and for his presence, i cannot find one instance where he has contributed in terms of development (app, etc) or as a tester.

If you are actively developing/testing or contributing in a constructive manner, then you can be excused for the occasional rant and rave.

but then again, he is part of our resident troll zoo...
My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gryedouge For This Useful Post:
Before going all high and mighty, justice, procedure and all that jazz on Carsten you might want to acknowledge the impact abill_uk rants have had on this community.

I'm personally aware of his trash pushing away at least to people who actively developed for Maemo.

You know, sometimes in order to fix things you might need to get down and get dirty, going according to the book does not cut it.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I didn't say and didn't mean to imply that discussion should not continue. But if you want disciplinary action against a member who you think is abusing the forum, then there is a procedure already in place for you to utilize.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
I can understand frustrations, but honestly I think banning someone should not be done by a member petition. IMO it should be a matter for disciplinary action by mods, and because an user has seriously flaunted forum rules.

I havent been following the situation with abill, although we have clashed in the past, but I have to assume if he had done anything so serious as to deserve a banning he'd be already gone by now.

I wouldnt really like to be involved with the vote so I havent voted either way.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
So what is stskeeps doing on this forum? why is he not on MeeGo.com where he should be concentrating his efforts as this IS after all MAEMO.ORG and always will be !.

Totally bizzare situation and if it carries on like this then to be honest i am out of here anyhow.
I am here for three reasons:
* Been here since forever, was maemo.org distmaster as well, long standing community member. Have a N800, N810
* People were missing MeeGo info here and were glad to hear accurate information.
* This community used to be a communy of doers, not moaners.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Did you ever stop to wonder why I might be having my opinions?

* The Hildon and Maemo GTK+ line is a dead end and has been announced as such, long ago. The 50k EUR effort by Igalia to bring it up to date seems to give no benefit to maemo.org and Maemo5 which upsets me too.
* There is next to zero chance that Maemo5 applications would be open source, as this requires significant time and effort to clean up code, do legal checks, etc. Time that is better used for other things. In addition to that, the amount of people that can reasonably deal with that code here is greatly diminishing.
* I have intimate knowledge of Maemo, this community and my opinions stem from there.
* I have nothing against CSSU, in fact I was among the first to suggest it for Maemo4 and I've helped when people asked me questions. I use CSSU myself.
* I am of the opinion that we shouldn't push people towards dead ends as it wastes valuable community resources. People can contribute fixes and perhaps new features to CSSU but honestly, if you want a long term solution, MeeGo is the way to go.
Yes i see the point your trying to make but you do not seem to see my point in that MeeGo will just NOT run very well on the N900 because of lack of hardware criteria that MeeGo developers are gearing up for on future devices.

I say run with what we have got because Linux is a great tool used world wide and can be much further developed for the N900 than MeeGo can.

Maemo is running very very smoothly in comparison with MeeGo and even more the reason why it should be further developed, just because Nokia gave up through lack of coders to do the job properly does not mean this community should.

You clearly have a problem with Maemo now and i cannot dissuade you so you do as you feel fit.

I on the other hand have not said anything to you but my honest opinion and you seem to dislike it sooo much you started this rediculos Poll.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-05-28 at 16:01.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I didn't say and didn't mean to imply that discussion should not continue. But if you want disciplinary action against a member who you think is abusing the forum, then there is a procedure already in place for you to utilize.
Agreed, if anything, this collects arguments for disciplinary action. I do write 'recommend' for a reason

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I don't agree - this abill-case has a way too long history and way too many instances scattered all over the place, so a) it's hard to handle this with a normal request to the forum admins, and b) I bet there have been just enough of those in the last ~15 months

/j
I think you'd be surprised then - the moderator may agree with you, but if not it can be escalated. But it's hard to handle in this way. There are supermoderators...

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread