Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
I have a good feeling about this.

I understand how some people here may be suspicious about the Americans suddenly managing Nokia -- don't get me wrong, I have friends from Finland (I've lived VERY close by), and I have great respect for Nokia; however, I think it is great that Nokia is acquiring competence worldwide -- this just looks like a serious commitment for the future.

Everyone thinking that a past experience at Microsoft or Palm would necessarily taint the work these people do at Nokia is oversimplifying things, IMO.

PS. In before "He's Canadian!", I am talking about the continent!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by JamesDownWell View Post
Who was in the job previously... if anyone?
One of the most relevant points in the whole dang thread so far.

The answer is no one...
... and it's about time don't ya think?

Regardless of who is hired, the fact that there is now a helmsmen, finally says something about Nokia's commitment.

Some of us have been waiting for an executive reorganization since the N900 dropped.

While the Symbian side of Nokia's house had executives in charge of minute, look and feel details, the Maemo side (if you could call it that) was 3 guys and a server in the closet somewhere.

SLN member # 009

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This is a damn good thing.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Regardless of who is hired, the fact that there is now a helmsmen, finally says something about Nokia's commitment.
Not sure about commitment, all of Nokia seems to me to be about half-hearted attempts. But it is a step in the right direction.

While the Symbian side of Nokia's house had executives in charge of minute, look and feel details
They really aren't doing their jobs. One of many examples: why doesn't the qwerty E series have more "long-press keyboard-shortcuts" to enter symbols?

the Maemo side (if you could call it that) was 3 guys and a server in the closet somewhere.
Again they weren't doing their jobs either, where is keyboard support in hildon? Why can't the cursor keys be used to scroll thru a list, or select an app in the app menu, or select a task in the task selector, etc. They've had a generation of N810 to perfect keyboard usage but instead have done practically nothing to promote the use of the keyboard, and they call this a mobile computer?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
JunOS is based on FreeBSD, and a viable competitor to Cisco.
So he gets to fight IOS twice ;-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
So he gets to fight IOS twice ;-)
Yup, but with a full size, Major League bat this time instead of a cut down broom stick.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Go Elop and Skillman A combo to kill Steve Jobs just like in the game Mortal Combat finishing blow!

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Go Elop and Skillman A combo to kill Steve Jobs just like in the game Mortal Combat finishing blow!
I was trying to conjure up an image of someone facing the 90 MPH pitch of Apples IOS fastball and not a street fight, LoL.

It is hard to knock one out of the park if the only thing your team can provide you with is a broomstick.

That Palm OS and the Palm Pre were pretty dang elegant if you ask me. A hit that should have at least got them on base... but it didn't.

I don't know what his role was in the OS but the design certainly didn't take a back seat to or was dictated by hardware decisions made by others.

It is good to know someone with that kind of experience is finally on board. It will be some time before we know if Nokia gives him access to the resources he needs or he just ends up banging his head against Nokia's walls.

The downside of all this is that whatever he did for Palm is now a work product owned by HP. I'm sure they have a Sauron like eye focused on MeeGo and an army of Orcan lawyers may now be sharpening their weapons.

Howzat for a mixed metaphor?
...Baseball and Middle Earth

SLN member # 009

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
If he's gesturing the approximate ideal size for a tablet in that picture, then I'm with him.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!