Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Described very clearly in the original post:
As I said earlier, it's not clear where the information would come from for the proposed wiki page. If it's no more complete or authoritative than existing sources, then it doesn't move us forward.

After reading that, why would anyone think there was even a remote suggestion to "stop people talking"?
It seems to me that Quim is attempting to stem or corral the FUD that is spreading around the place. It further seems to me that there are two ways you can do that:
  • Stop people talking about this stuff, or less drastically restrict such discussions to particular places,
  • Give people some actual solid facts, and let the fears and uncertainties naturally go away.

It's not clear which of those two approaches the proposed wiki page/thread is going to be taking.

Edit: typo

Last edited by ewan; 2010-03-01 at 17:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
It's not clear which of hose two approaches the proposed wiki page/thread is going to be taking.
It's clear enough to me that "discussion and summary" completely rules out the "stop people talking" path. Simple logic.

Your point about a fact-based approach depending on facts, however, is well-taken. There is certainly a void worth filling.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
So what about a "What can we realistically expect..." wiki page + thread under N900 subforum to discuss and summarize the flesh around this topic, and clean the many senseless arguments and noise we can read these days among valid and licit doubts and concerns?
Ok fair enough. May I create a page here : http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/ ?

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
It's clear enough to me that "discussion and summary" completely rules out the "stop people talking" path. Simple logic.
Well, you referred to "a discussion and eventual summary", which implies to me, talking about something, reaching a conclusion, summarising the position, and then stopping. Anyone and everyone is free to summarise the current position on the wiki if they think it would help, but that doesn't in and of itself stop people expressing their fears on the forum, and it does still seem to me that that is the underlying purpose of the proposal - if it isn't, what really changes?

Your point about a fact-based approach depending on facts, however, is well-taken. There is certainly a void worth filling.
Fundamentally I think that that is the only approach that will work, and it will work easily. There will be less expression of fear, uncertainty and doubt when there actually is less fear, uncertainty and doubt, and that requires facts, and that requires Nokia to provide them. Nothing else will help solve the problem that (if I'm understanding him correctly) Quim is trying to solve.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
THIS IS A CONSTRUCTIVE THREAD IN THE COMMUNITY SUBFORUM. Repeated rants will be moved elsewhere.
So what about a "What can we realistically expect..." wiki page + thread under N900 subforum to discuss and summarize the flesh around this topic, and clean the many senseless arguments and noise we can read these days among valid and licit doubts and concerns?
Starting a thread in CAPS LOCK makes it sound like a rant, too And yes, this is the first time ever that I don't fully get a post from Quim
IMHO, we pay the price of the N900 success - til the end of November, this was a place for developers and powerusers. Then, the masses of endusers started to pour in. This has massively shifted the balance of this forum.

In addition, Nokia themselves poured a lot of Uncertainty and Doubt over us, especially with the stepchild-feelings given to us related to the Ovi Maps (adding insult to injury, giving free navigation to Symbian while we can't even do an offline search), Ovi Store (this is simply ridicilous!), the limitations of Exchange support (come on, no Google sync?!?), the problems with the USB connector (we 3 apes don't hear, see or say anything) and the MeeGo announcement (which in itself is a very positive thing IMHO). The fears then started to creep up from these actions.

OTOH, for me, the N900 with Maemo 5 is indeed the best mobile device ever created and I look forward to PR1.2 with QT 4.6 to finally arrive at a stable platform level very much similar to MeeGo, hopefully also enabling Nokia to give us some real Ovi love.
MeeGo itself will be a fantastic platform to develop for, as it builds more momentum, targets a broader audience and offers a really mature framework/stack.
The offerings for development environments get better, too - hopefully attracting more and more developers and making "Hello world" (and its packaging) finally a bit easier.

Right now, I'm in love with python, d-bus, gstreamer and gtk - times coming, I'll move to QT to learn something new again (and for good finally I hope). Here is what the N900 enabled me to churn out in short time:
  • Sleeper widget (mediaplayer pauses after 15/30 minutes)
  • Recaller widget (record audio from microphone or calls). Autorecording function in prototyping stage :-)
  • Shutter widget (IR control of the Nikon DSLR digicam family)
  • Much improved Wiicontrol for easy gaming with DrNokSNES, with BT autostart and DrNokSNES autolaunch.
  • Bluezwitch widget to switch Bluetooth on/off
  • Ports of moodlight and mclock to Maemo 5

For me, the N900 offers most I ever dreamt of, and I'm very satisified with it. But still, Nokia should show at least SOME support and publish kind of roadmap of what we can expect during the lifetime of our device. Of course, their internal mindset is already fully focused on MeeGo/Step 5 and nobody volunteers for Maemo 5 work anymore. But Nokia must learn to treat this platform as a computer / OS, not as a phone!

I love the N900, Maemo 5 rocks, together the offer fantastic opportunities, but Nokia needs to make a final effort to finish their work on this platform. They are a part of this "community", too!

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
As far as I can tell, the negative vibes do not come from intentionally fabricated FUD, but they're real concerns from existing Nokia customers who've invested their time, money and heart into one of Nokia's best (yet) product: The N900.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Well, you referred to "a discussion and eventual summary", which implies to me, talking about something, reaching a conclusion, summarising the position, and then stopping.
But that's a normal process anyway! If the talk goes on forever what the heck was accomplished other than generation of hot air?

That was mostly rhetorical... I'm not looking to continue down that tangent. Rather, I'll wait for Quim to step back in and say what he can/will about the concerns thus far.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I think it's funny to see so many people being irritated that the super moderator are suggesting some moderation in this fora. Meamo.org is, in my opinion, a very useful fora with many helpful members, but it is, however, the least moderated fora I've ever been a member to. Elsewhere, deleted posts that are off topic are (for the great majority of the members) considered as a good thing for the sake of the fora itself and the diskussions held in it. Here, they are considered as censorship.

How about a sticky on how to get in touch with Nokia customer care? Becouse to me, all the ranting going on here right now, are more obstructive to me getting the full out of my n900, than Nokias inability to communicate.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Strutten For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Texrat, do you think we are looking for something along these lines either as a thread or wiki page?

Per discussion in this thread

USB connector issues
1) There is a *potential* design flaw with the usb connector (surface mount vs through hole.
2) There is no visible evidence of design changes in later production units vs early/pre-production units (possible changes to pads/bonding).
3) Nokia has made limited announcements (citation) regarding extent and warranty coverage.
4) Depending on damage and Nokia Care Center, this may be covered by warranty.
5) In some cases warranty coverage is being denied.
6) There may be up to several weeks before a new/fixed unit is received.

Now, this may not be the best summary, but it is a summary (hopefully as correct/truthful as can be). But, I don't see how this serves to alleviate any FUD. There have been no concrete statements from Nokia that would really alleviate FUD for current or potential owners.

As that is getting to be a lengthy thread, I assume it is on the same level as other issues. Currently the thread has been pretty well mannered, but that could change quickly. It's an issue that I have a lot of FUD about (Fear that it will happen to my N900, Uncertainty that I will get it fixed under warranty, Doubt that Nokia has really addressed the issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
But that's a normal process anyway! If the talk goes on forever what the heck was accomplished other than generation of hot air?

That was mostly rhetorical... I'm not looking to continue down that tangent. Rather, I'll wait for Quim to step back in and say what he can/will about the concerns thus far.
It will not go on forever. It will go on as long as there is a need for it.

What is accomplished is people express their concerns about how they feel they have been treated. They feel it is their only chance to be heard.

If Nokia doesn't like the noise, they should do something about it.

They used the N900 in the MeeGo PR campaign, but ask them if we(N900 Owners) are getting it and they are ambiguous at BEST.

The current crop of discord is coming from the seeds that they have planted.