Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I spoke to Urho on IRC, apparently Catorise is OK - it's the edit mode that hildon-desktop will get that'll break. So, the situation (AIUI) will be:
  • No more "More..." menu, everything will be in one big long list.
  • You'll be able to reorder that list anyway you like (through some kind of edit mode), but not create sub-folders.
  • Catorise will continue to work the same way. Meaning if you use hildon-desktop's edit mode, it won't do anything - and it'll show you the full list of things to sort.

What exactly happens when you resave out of edit mode with Catorise installed remains to be seen. I'd guess it either overwrites (until you run /opt/catorise/catorise or install a package), or rearranges things within the categories based on your order but showing you all the categories munged into one for editing.

Neither sounds particularly catastrophic, TBH.
I'm using catorise, and I think the safest and easiest way is to uninstall catorise before updating PR1.2. If catorise somehow brakes the whole menu system, I would have to reflash the phone.. no thanks.

It would be cool if you could make a sub folder to desktop and place bookmarks or shortcuts into it. You could save more space on the desktop and enjoy beautiful wallpapers

The Following User Says Thank You to j-mi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Qote Andre Klapper
"This has been fixed in package
hildon-desktop 1:2.2.132-1+0m5
which is part of the internal build version
10.2010.07-3
(Note: 2009/2010 is the year, and the number after is the week.)"

We have got a week 2 release (3.2010.2-8) in week 7 Feb 16th. So following that timescale a week 7 release wil be in week 12. Which is week commencing Mar 22nd..

Last edited by casper27; 2010-02-25 at 09:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
thx for the info. i just hope you are wrong . 22 march is far away. hoping for release before the end of feb.
Me too, arn't we all

However it will not be Feb now IMHO. I doubt it will be released today and as an IT project manager you would never release new code on a Friday as it would upset weekend support too much.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by j-mi View Post
I'm using catorise, and I think the safest and easiest way is to uninstall catorise before updating PR1.2. If catorise somehow brakes the whole menu system, [...]
Right, I shouldn't have used the term "break". I used it in the s/w engineer sense of "the feature I described [editing the order of the menu] doesn't work correctly [i.e. the order you choose isn't shown]"; not the layman "oh noes, my device is teh broken".

I would have to reflash the phone.. no thanks.
Or disable the lifeguard reset and just uninstall Catorise. <shrug/>

But anyway, as I said, I'm fairly confident from what I've heard that a catastrophic reboot cycle wouldn't occur.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
However it will not be Feb now IMHO. I doubt it will be released today and as an IT project manager you would never release new code on a Friday as it would upset weekend support too much.
Pfft; Nokia usually release large firmware upgrades before going on holiday. A weekend's nothing!

And, in semi-seriousness, if you buy into the school of thought that tmo provides most "end-user support" (I don't); most people here have more time to post at weekends and so support cover would increase ;-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdom
They had better make sure the UK (rolled up?) firmware update is available concurrently with the Global update this time.... or else

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by El Amir View Post
Am I the one that thinks that this is a step forward but two steps back?
a step forward and 5 steps back.

they really hate their users. first they ruin the virtual keyboard, now they make the application menu even worse.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I am pretty sure it is going to be this friday.....

i don't understand this. am i being punished for not paying enough money to nokia or something??

the last keyboard update was annoying, but this is something else.
from what i'm understand, our menu will end up almost no better than iphones. what happened to effective organisation? if we installed a few apps it won't make much difference. but what if we installed a whole lot of apps?

how many flicks does it take to get to that certain app when we need it every once in a blue moon?

why is there nobody there to stop them from doing things like this?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kazuki For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
In theory El Amir, you only spend time looking for the application once, since after you find it, you should be able to relocate it to a more convenient location.

Actually, if everything is on one panel, I hope the alphabetize the default list, which will make things that much easier to find. As it stands now, if I don't use MyMenu or Catorize, the menu seems to be randomly generated with the only pattern being that core apps are on the first panel.
it's not random
it's alphabetized after the standard apps. Check all your apps after x-term
________
Easy Vape.Com

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:25.