Active Topics

Notices

I still don't see where the comparisons between this and the iPhone stand.

First there were pc's... apple produced a restrictive alternative

Then came mp3 players.. apple produced a restrictive alternative

Now here are iphones... and guess what, they're no different.

To get back on topic, it's a 3 month old machine ffs, you gotta learn to walk before you can run.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
"I think the most important thing to me is the fact that you have to jailbreak the iphone to get what the n900 has out of the box. That voids the iphones warranty."

smash it up and claim insurance.

isnt joe average not normal.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
OP, I agree with your frustration wholeheartedly.

Who needs the mindless 80s game ports that Maemo has to offer? Or apps that has names like liqtorch, liqxxx, liqxyz?

Maemo needs to get professional (profit making) software houses on board to develop software to the N900. We don't need people that call themselves hackers or geeks to do up software that looks ugly and nobody wants

(looking through extras-testing and extras-devel I only found 10 apps that I found worthy to download out of the thousands)

What we want is:

professional office productivity tools
professional games (minimum N-gage quality)
a good map (hello, where is GarminXT etc?)
cool apps (like the iPhone sleep pattern monitor)
voice recognition app
live voice translation app
better camera app
better phone app

I wouldn't mind paying $200 right now on 20 high quality professional, not open source apps - if there were any. $10 a piece is reasonable with 80% of people. Just look at the average price of apps in App Store.

Last edited by OrangeBox; 2010-01-08 at 15:55.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think there are two different ideas and methods here. Official iPhone apps have to go through Apple and updates have to go through Apple.

Community developed Maemo apps (that aren't in Nokia or Ovi's repo) don't go through as draconian (as in one company or organization)and random process. Often the focus is more on functionality first, aestheics second. Take dialcentral for example, it's being updated frequently for functionality reasons (to deal with problems as they come up) and its aesthics haven't changed much from release to release and isn't likely to in the future. It may never be as pretty as it's Android or iPhone equivalents.

There's also several more reasons (money, don't care about apperance, etc..)but I won't go into much depth. So will you always see the graphical polish Apple look Apple loves from community developed apps? Probably not. Though I would expect more from Ovi Store apps.
Maybe I'm just weird but I have no issue with Dialcentral's look

That is something I'm wondering about with the OP. There are many apps I would pit against iPhone equivelants like OMWeather, Dialcentral, Gonvert, Conboy, eCoach, Xournal, HP Calculator, and many others. These to me are all very polished professional applications. Am I missing something with these apps? Is it a lack of bling?

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Hi all,

I don't think such kind of comparisons are useful or justified.

I for myself have chosen N900 for the following reasons:
- 32 GB mem +16/32 MicroSD
- Sip continuously reachable
- ssh server to enable wireless access to my data
- FM transmitter / IR transmitter
- subversion for synchronizatioini

I know that there are some downsides such as less games/apps, a
resistive display, ... where other phones from other producers are better.

Guess, everybody has to make his choice!

yes wiener you are right- this phojne is good as some things- worse at oyjthers there are to many fanboys on all sides that cannot handle the truth.

im a fan-boy i'll admit it lol, long live nokia.

However i have tried other devices like htc touch diamond/diamond 2, the iphone 3gs (for a week) and always come back to nokia, don't know why i just love there devices.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
im a fan-boy i'll admit it lol, long live nokia.

However i have tried other devices like htc touch diamond/diamond 2, the iphone 3gs (for a week) and always come back to nokia, don't know why i just love there devices.
Maybe it's wired in your DNA, dunno

--------<<<<<Donīt know why I too keep feeding the troll>>>>>--------

What exactly IS a "quality" app?
Please enlighten me, or...
... buy an itouch during the N900 early days, silly cheap and you donīt have to worry about being r%Ī#d by apple and the phone company for years and years...

....And use your excellent N900 for everything useful as email, IM, surfing, working on home comp, blogging and all other things that wouldnīt work on the iphone or would be a major pain due to the inferior touchscreen input...

Thatīs a short survival guide till then the N900 will be flooded with "useless" aps for the masscrowd (if there ever will be before maemo6)

Since I LOVE good quality sound itīs the same discussion in certain forums, Cowon S9 for itīs superior audio quality and crap apps or the "much more versatile" itouch with so crappy sound out it makes my tuned hearing scream of pain.

Well there we have the "stock ear-bud people" that just LOVE how good the itouch is and how crap the cowon S9īs are since they donīt see or understand what other people value the most in awesome machine like the S9.
Itīs also totally configurable down to every single pixel and no person in their right mind use the stock UI, they use claw UI since it gives em freedom.
Itouch canīt even spell freedom...
Same with the phones, N900= open, Iphone= closed.

We just want a kickass sound or phone like the N900 that we can configure in any way we want, becase we can.

Hell, the N900 even without EQ sounds better then any iphone haha!
But I wouldnt mind to have a working EQ in it as default

And why buy into a 3 year old system like the iphone that so far hasnt shown much interest in evolving, just refined and tuned.

my 2 cents.

long live nokia as well. i go for the best phone at the time mind. tried the 3gs for a week(not enough diff from my 3g- to warrant it)- tried the hd2 - winmo puke. n900 i still like and to be honest none of the other phones gave me as much hassle- but also not as much joy

Tags
app quality, application, application quality, applications, fremantle, iphone quality, maemo, maemo 5, quality