Active Topics

I went with the Martin Fields protectors. They're from japan, are very clear, and have a shiny smooth texture like the normal screen surface.

I've used them on my palms, and treos with great results. I have one for my 770 and one for my SLVR on order (should be in the mail soon).

I think they're the ones overlayplus sells.

Originally Posted by adl99
I'm in the UK so I might try out the Jessops protectors but I have to say I'm going to see if I can get an 'invisible shield' protector. My iPod nano got one as soon as it was taken out of the box a few months ago, and it has been absolutely fantastic. It's true when they say you can key it and it's fine. wipe-clean etc. It's worked fantastically.

More info here!
I'm using the Jessops protectors. They're ok (certainly better than nothing) but they aren't invisible. They are quite easy to apply and I've vritually no air bubbles, but the surface isn't perfectly smooth. There seem to be vertical imperfections in the film, which slightly detract from the screen quality.

Originally Posted by partridge
I went with the Martin Fields protectors. They're from japan, are very clear, and have a shiny smooth texture like the normal screen surface.

I've used them on my palms, and treos with great results. I have one for my 770 and one for my SLVR on order (should be in the mail soon).
I bought a M.F. protector for my lady's iPod nano (I bought her a pink one from Colorware and the MF protector for comparison to mine. I have to say I wasn't overly fond of it. It did not stick well, but BIG DISCLAIMER I am pretty sure that this was due to the surface of the custom nano not being flat. The paint becomes slightly raised around the edges (by the clickwheel etc.) and so the surface isn't perfectly flat (just how the paint goes on). THUS I imagine that with a flat surface it sticks perfectly. After all many people recommend them. That said, they did look to be a little too 'easy-remove'. The invisible shield is very sticky when set (you have to apply it properly by moistening the adhesive).

I was surprised at the stiffness of the MF protector -somewhere between a credit card and a sheet of OHP plastic. The Invisible Shield one is a lot more malleable. I can't honestly say what it would be like for long-term stylus use, but I also imagine the I.S. protector would be a lot more pleasant to use than the M.F. one. The best analogy I can come up with is writing on a sheet of paper with a few sheets of paper underneath (invis shield) or a sheet of paper placed on a hard surface (MF).

Originally Posted by adl99
I bought a M.F. protector for my lady's iPod nano (I bought her a pink one from Colorware and the MF protector for comparison to mine. I have to say I wasn't overly fond of it. It did not stick well, but BIG DISCLAIMER I am pretty sure that this was due to the surface of the custom nano not being flat. The paint becomes slightly raised around the edges (by the clickwheel etc.) and so the surface isn't perfectly flat (just how the paint goes on). THUS I imagine that with a flat surface it sticks perfectly. After all many people recommend them. That said, they did look to be a little too 'easy-remove'. The invisible shield is very sticky when set (you have to apply it properly by moistening the adhesive).

I was surprised at the stiffness of the MF protector -somewhere between a credit card and a sheet of OHP plastic. The Invisible Shield one is a lot more malleable. I can't honestly say what it would be like for long-term stylus use, but I also imagine the I.S. protector would be a lot more pleasant to use than the M.F. one. The best analogy I can come up with is writing on a sheet of paper with a few sheets of paper underneath (invis shield) or a sheet of paper placed on a hard surface (MF).
There's actually a thread somewhere about the new nanos having raised edges to help prevent scratches, and how that interferes with screen protectors, so that's probably the problem you're running into.

I've never tried the invisible shield ones. Are they shiny too, or matte?

I've never tried the invisible shield ones. Are they shiny too, or matte?
They're, erm, in between? If I had to plump for one, I'd say matte, though. Certainly a lot more so than the MF ones. They're quite cheap - it's probably worth ordering one & trying it out on your coffee mug or something, just so you get a feel for what they're like. It will be protecting your £250 baby, after all.

There's actually a thread somewhere about the new nanos having raised edges to help prevent scratches, and how that interferes with screen protectors, so that's probably the problem you're running into.
If they are doing that now, it's certainly a problem you'd run into, but it's not that...

If you [look here] you'll see that just below the click wheel there's a reflection that curves up around the outside of said wheel. It's just where the paint had 'pooled' slightly when it was wet. This happens on everything where there's an edge. In practice it's not really noticable. The only response my girlfriend has had to a pink nano is jealousy =] Certainly worth the extra I paid!

I found that the PSP screen covers are the same height, and just a few mm wider than the 770 screen. So I just trimmed the edge and slapped it on. Turned out great, and provides excellent protection.

Good news. I sent an inquiry to the nice folks at boxwave.com asking them to
add a 770 screen protector to their lineup. Their first response was to use their
universal protector and cut it myself. ( which I'm far too inept to do )

BUT, I just received another message from them saying that they added a 770 screen protector to their lineup. ( actually they added two models - one anti-glare and one crystal clear )

ClearTouch Crystal Protector

Anti-Glare

I've had really good luck with one of their protectors on my palm one lifedrive. It was easy to apply and looked great. Hopefully the 770 protector will work as well.

Thanks for the heads up, waddell. I have used the anti-glare protector on a Treo and the cleartouch on another palm and they both work well. I like the cleartouch more, personally.

Originally Posted by Jeffgrado
Thanks for the heads up, waddell. I have used the anti-glare protector on a Treo and the cleartouch on another palm and they both work well. I like the cleartouch more, personally.

Me too. The anti-glare isn't as sharp and for my circumstances isn't really necessary.

The thing I like most about these protectors though is that they are stiff enough that even a klutz like me can put them on without leaving any bubbles - something I haven't been able to do before with palm or brando workshop protectors.

It almost goes without saying, but even though we like them, lots of other people may really dislike them. ( but I doubt it )