Active Topics

Opengl es != opengl. A lot of code must to be rewritted to port an opengl game to opengl-es. Opengl-es 2.0 is more like opengl 3.0. I have a cool 3D game that i developed for iphone some months ago. I am awating for the release of the new maemo device to port it to freemantle.

Sorry for my english, i know it is bad

The Following User Says Thank You to kkito For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
actually today Kate was saying that OpenGL ES 1.? (too late & lazy to recall now) works as well and there is a version available internally that seems to work. I don't know more details but surely she and knikkane do know more.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
and speaking of iPhone developers, it's interesting to see that iPhone is moving to OpenGL ES 2.0. I wonder how easy/complex will be to port such apps between both platforms.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
and speaking of iPhone developers, it's interesting to see that iPhone is moving to OpenGL ES 2.0. I wonder how easy/complex will be to port such apps between both platforms.
Games shouldn't need any specific changes to the game core, because OpenGL handles almost everything (events, key presses,...), although some specific iPhone code might need to be ported (just guessing here, don't know the iPhone platform).
I guess that should be easy to do such ports .

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I'm also guessing, but I suspect that the core of most games on the iPhone may well be using underlying OpenGL ES technology; but they'll be written in ObjectiveC.

Notwithstanding whether or not ObjectiveC compilers are available for other platforms, the monetisation of the App Store discourages people from publishing their source code.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I'm also guessing, but I suspect that the core of most games on the iPhone may well be using underlying OpenGL ES technology; but they'll be written in ObjectiveC.
Yah probably, I forgot that this language* exists , but you can also write C or C++ OpenGL code that will run in the iPhone (xcode will do the required translation).

* "When you see Objective-C code for the first time in your life, your stomach will turn and your eyes won't know where to look and you will feel dizzy."

My iphone game is pure c++, not objective c. Iphone devkit comes with gcc, then any language supported by gcc could be compiled by the iphone sdk and runs on iphone with no problems. There are some changes with opengl and opengl-es, glbegin/glend/glvertex/glnormal... it is not suported on opengl-es, it only supports vertex arrays and vbo. That is faster than use glvertex or glnormal etc... but a lot of software that runs with opengl must to be rewrited for opengl-es.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL_ES

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kkito For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hmm, I wonder if this has already been patented....

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1847966.html

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I would assume that actually getting some decent games to the maemo platform will require paid content delivery model. Game development tends to require so much effort and time that getting paid is really needed. Now, trinket games is another thing. Fortunetely, for that niche (?) maemo has flash runtime. I would really not write trinket games on anything else but flash.

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
I would assume that actually getting some decent games to the maemo platform will require paid content delivery model. Game development tends to require so much effort and time that getting paid is really needed. Now, trinket games is another thing. Fortunetely, for that niche (?) maemo has flash runtime. I would really not write trinket games on anything else but flash.
You can also have some cool linux games and emulators running in maemo5 that don't run smoothly in the current devices. I've tested some inside SB, some of them has a lot of issues and a lot of external dependencies, others run with some glitches (colours, fullscreen issues), if someone with a device and some linux/terminal knowledge offer to test them, I can create a package and send those to extras, if they work well

Tags
fremantle, n900, nanogl, opengl