Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You would prefer they pull an exact date out of thin air, then meet that whether or not the software is ready? Or not meet it at all and just keep pushing it back? It's pretty clear from the SDK timeline approximately when it'll be released: Summer 2009.
I'd actually prefer updated packages for diablo, since they have the fixes available now

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
This is exactly the point. What they say by "fixed in Fremantle" is something like "No, we won't fix it, because this part will be replaced anyway on a different OS and we guess it'll probably work there. We won't spend any more time fixing the bug you have meanwhile."

The Right Thing to do would be to close these bugs as WONTFIX, because they're about Diablo and will not be fixed for Diablo.

There's not one single bug about Fremantle, so it's not logical to close them for Fremantle.
Hi. I've been going around the public bugzilla for the last couple of days, wontfixing/assigning a bunch of bugs for Fremantle - I'll try to do more if I have the time - so perhaps I should also comment here.

Yes, assigned for Fremantle also means wontfix for Diablo, unless it's absolutely system critical. Yes, in many cases the fix in Fremantle is caused by Fremantle doing something different than Diablo, so on some cases it is hard to say between fixed and wontfix. I tried to do those judgments based on the whether the user need/feature in question that the bug addresses will be improved in Fremantle or now.

If the general consensus really is that it would be better for me to just set "Wontfix -> Diablo" instead of indicating that if the issues will be addressed in Fremantle (or in Harmattan) in some cases, please then comment. I personally assumed that it's of some ... aid to know that the issue in question will eventually get addressed or not, even though not in terms of a new Diablo release.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
O
Paymantle . . . clever. Mer is actually using a lot of the current Fremantle sources.

My own vision is to use Mer as a base for a Fremantle backport to OMAP2 hardware, and why would that even be possible? Because of Nokia's openness.
Since some people are speaking of Mer here, I'd like to do a little advertising:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer_Blueprint#Contributing_to_Mer
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
If the general consensus really is that it would be better for me to just set "Wontfix -> Diablo" instead of indicating that if the issues will be addressed in Fremantle (or in Harmattan) in some cases, please then comment. I personally assumed that it's of some ... aid to know that the issue in question will eventually get addressed or not, even though not in terms of a new Diablo release.
Yes, of course it's somehow nice to know Fremantle will fix it. Better than nothing to hope for at all.

Still, this can be communicated in the comment when closing the bug.

See, when I actually *read* the bug, the information is the same, no matter which status you use for closing it. I read the last comments and see what's going on.
The point is that when I only follow things via the bugjar for example, I'm always happy how many bugs are being fixed lately and how wonderful and great the next SSU for Diablo will be... until I find out.
So for these kind of things WONTFIX is more useful; you can click and read why it won't be fixed and then there'll be a comment saying the situation will improve with Fremantle.

As a side note, I find this admittedly small issue so irritating partly because what actually bugs me is
  1. the fact that it will not be closed for Diablo (which I don't quite understand) and
  2. the growing suspicion that I'll never see Fremantle on my N800.
I had all this before with my 770, and now history might be repeating itself. My head tells me this time maybe there are very good reasons for it (which I still can't see for the 770-disaster), but my heart says it's just not fair and I want my share of happiness here and now. So I just keep whining about everything that's remotely connected to this whole backward compatibility thing...

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Hmm, so that's two of us diehards. How comforting :-)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i guess that if we could agree that the "fixed in fremantle" tag would only be used on bugs that come out of a ground up rewrite that would require solid efforts to get working on diablo, then things would calm down.

basically, the community is not told the context of the fix, and is left wonder if it was a simple one liner or some kind of whole-sale replacement of the problematic system.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
So for these kind of things WONTFIX is more useful; you can click and read why it won't be fixed and then there'll be a comment saying the situation will improve with Fremantle.
No, because that's not how Bugzilla works. Now, please, stop trying to make everybody's lives more difficult by breaking the system, thanks.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-11-28 at 12:26.

As to the argument about "embedded" vs. "desktop", I absolutely don't buy it. There's nothing conceptually different between my laptop running Debian and my N800 running, for all practical purposes, a Debian derivative.

The NIT series are not embedded devices by any definition, period. Some drivers are closed, but that doesn't make it embedded - if so my desktop computer would be an embedded device, with its NVIDIA graphical driver.

So yes, I expect a software update regime quite similar to a desktop system update regime, and not an embedded update regime.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
As to the argument about "embedded" vs. "desktop", I absolutely don't buy it. There's nothing conceptually different between my laptop running Debian and my N800 running, for all practical purposes, a Debian derivative.
Then you seriously don't understand the platform.

Ask the Deblet guys exactly how much of a difference there is (I'd start with: "How many hours idle battery life do you get?").

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
so maybe laptop rather then desktop

anyways, i had a look at the number of bugs with milestone fremantle.

and the ones that i found most puzzling was the ones that looked like simple ui tweaks, like the size of dialog windows and so on.

these are bumped on to fremantle with no clear explanation why, unlike something like media player being able to remember where in a file it was closed, where the fremantle message holds a explanation as to why it was moved (rework of the media framework or something similar).

Tags
firmware, fremantle, rant