Active Topics

Poll: What is your religion?
Poll Options
What is your religion?

Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
wouldn't it solve many problems if we had only one.
That is by definition impossible. At least in the way the term "religion" is usually used.
Because while no religious advocate can proof that his way of believing how things are is the only correct one, there will be other opinions. And valid ones, too.
However, if god/allah/spaghetti monster/invisible pink unicorn actually decends and claim their "right", it wouldn't be faith anymore, it would be fact.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by itschy View Post
it wouldn't be faith anymore, it would be fact.
You think something like FACTS are gonna stand in the way?

Even people viewing things with their own eyes have trouble believing them sometimes.

Unless the god was infact omnipotent and able to slap every nonbeliever into submission it will continue.

I've never understood this argument:
Actually it doesn't. Atheism IS a belief system: the belief that there is no God.
It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Speaking for myself, I can't grasp the concept of a belief system to start with: I don't have the gene that makes it possible. I don't run around "believing", as in faith, this or that.

It has been argued elsewhere that saying that atheism is a belief system is as when someone asks 'what kind of stamps do you collect', and, when the answer is 'I don't collect stamps', stating that this is also some kind of stamp collecting. And I agree with that analogy, it's certainly the only analogy that makes sense to me about the whole "atheism is a belief system" (or as some says: "Atheism is your religion" ) argument.

But I've also understood that the question of "Atheism" vs. "Religion" is something hugely different in the US compared to, e.g, northern Europe. Being an atheist in the US is apparently a big deal, something that people care about. Around here it's instead like, say, owning a grey-blue jacket. It's not something you think about very much, it's certainly not something you go preaching about, but if someone asks you will know what to answer.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by itschy View Post
Please somebody explain to me how beeing christian goes along with beeing not religious!?
If you mean beeing baptised but not believing, than you are not christian in my POV. Why should I call myself "duned" just because someone threw sand in my face when I was a baby if it doesn't mean anything to me!?

edit: also, "scientist" and "scientologist" have nothing in common!
I'll give it a shot.

"Religion" in the strictest sense of the word is adhering (or attempting to adhere) to a set of guidelines, rules, commandments to please a deity well enough that the deity rewards you in some way.

BTW, I used to believe that atheism was a religion, but I've since decided to redefine it (if only in my mind) as a "belief system". To be absolutely certain that there is no God, one would have to be all-knowing, and all-present. In short, a god himself. Since no man is all-knowing or all-present, he cannot, by definition argue against the existence of God. People who state they are atheists do still worship a god, of sorts: themselves or their intellect.

Being a Christian means admitting, both to yourself and to God, that there's no way possible for you to ever be good enough to be acceptable. You just can't. But, you also accept that God's Son, Jesus, came to Earth, lived a perfect and sinless life, and then took the punishment reserved for you upon himself. By accepting this perfect sacrifice, you become acceptable to God.

It's really that simple. Christians should do their best to live good lives, improving themselves and helping others, but knowing that that alone does not get them into Heaven.

Everyone has a God-shaped hole in their lives. This hole needs to be filled with something. Most fill it with material things: alcohol, drugs, sex, intellectual pursuits. None of those quite fit, though, and we're left with an empty feeling. Only the Being for which the hole was designed can fill it properly.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Last edited by deeteroderdas; 2008-10-22 at 13:41.

One question:

does god have an internet tablet, and has he managed to get a GPS lock yet?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
Unless the god was infact omnipotent and able to slap every nonbeliever into submission it will continue.
Nope, this can be disproved by logic.
If god was omnipotent, he could create a rock that he cannot lift. But if he cannot lift the rock, he is not omnipotent.
Don't take it too seriously, though.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
One question:

does god have an internet tablet, and has he managed to get a GPS lock yet?
God is everywhere. What would his GPS location be?

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
he could create a rock that he cannot lift. But if he cannot lift the rock, he is not omnipotent.
He does not need to lift the rock, he simply lowers the earth

Oh, he's cheating to create the illusion of omnipotence. Not bad. Really clever.

I consider myself an agnostic.

Typically speaking you can't be "just" agnostic.. since that simply means "without knowledge".. normally you would be an Agnostic Theist, or an Agnostic Atheist... stemming from whether you do (theist) or don't (atheist) believe in a higher power.. but admit that the belief can't be proven..

But in my case... I not only understand that the existence of such a thing cannot be proven; but I also simply don't care whether there's some masterful paternal figure shaking his finger at me.

So; I'm about as truly agnostic as one could be. If there's a God.. I'll die - and see what happens - if he doesn't want me; well - I don't wanna be part of his crew either. If there isn't.. I'll die; and have lived how I wanted.

Of course.. none of the above applies to the great Linux God. I am a devout... Linuxist.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Closed Thread

Tags
druid, eris, jedi, religion