Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Like micro$oft would say
We are sorry but 770 and 2007HE are not supported.

No, just kidding

I need to have more information on this kernel.

Thanks!

edit:
Okay I didn't know 770 and 800 are not using the same processors. So I guess the error is a "real" Illegal Instruction. I need to get a bit in touch with some packagers to know how to handle this. I'm not really keen on making a 770 version for all of xmms dependencies..

Last edited by free; 2007-11-21 at 21:46.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Free- Understand I'm just trying to give it a wide testing "base" is all. My n800 has more room for music after all. Most likely the binaries will need to be compiled on a different scratchbox to solve the problem. But what the heck it was a test.

Ok, figured out something ... if you install the xvkb (another thread in the apps forum, about 3 threads before this one.) You can use it to input text into the config/etc files of XMMS.

Originally Posted by linuxrebel View Post
Free- Understand I'm just trying to give it a wide testing "base" is all.
And that's why I thanked you because you tried it on the 770 and gave me feedback. I want it to run on all devices. It's a small program, doesn't require a big effort. At the moment I have a solution but it's not good enough. Probably this evening I'll give a version for the 770.

New packages available.
Tested on OS2007/n800.

Please try it on the 770.

Also n800 packages have been updated.
Changes:
More optimizations (still some missing). I have the feeling ogg is a bit quicker.. ??
Smaller packages (no man, no doc)

ps: -dev packages missing (although old one still present) as I think there were missing dependencies. Later, sorry.

Have fun!

On my 770 w/ 2007HE:
The user interface opens ok but playback of a 128kbps mp3 file plays for 2 - 3 seconds then the audio breaks up severely. CPU appears to be pegged. Controls are still responsive; I can stop and play or skip to the next track but after a few seconds it's all clicks and pops.

The Following User Says Thank You to BanditRider For This Useful Post:
Thanks BanditRider.
Are you listening to electronic music? More than 200bpm is not supported

I would like to have at least another confirmation from somebody with the 770. 2007HE or 2006..

At the moment, I have no clue why this would happen. Could you try with ogg? But don't do anything else!! And no other window open (Ogg support is still very slow). Otherwise the result wouldn't be relevant. Also no wireless activated for testing! Don't breath also

I'll be out for the whole weekend.
Nice weekend to all.

Last edited by free; 2007-11-23 at 09:58.

I played with it some more on my 770. Ogg files act the same as mp3s.
I experimented with the eSound output plugin configuration buffer size and pre-buffer %.
The defaults are 3000ms and 25%. When I press play, it pauses for that percentage of the buffer size (in this case just over 1 second) then plays perfectly for that same amount of time then plays at half speed after that. I set the buffer to 10000ms (10s) and the pre-buffering to 100% and it pauses for 10 seconds then played perfect for about 15 seconds then it plays at half speed.
Nothing else running, no wifi, no desktop applets.
I even tried streaming an internet radio station but no luck there either.
It's a shame because xmms is my preferred media player on my Fedora 7 desktop PC.
Thanks for your effort.

BanditRider

Latest version (I hope) on my n800 no problems, or rather, no new ones. My 770 won't be back until tomorrow will try then.

For the 770 your illegal instructions are the floating point instructions (which on the soft-float 770 should be compiled as function calls - this is done by default in the toolchain, just remove the "-mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=soft-float").

With regard to slow mp3 and ogg playback, are you using Tremor yet for ogg? Tremor (integer only) is faster than vorbis (floating point) even on the floating point-enabled N800, the soft-float 770 will certainly be very very slow having to simulate all those fp instructions. Same goes for mp3, are you using mad (integer only) or did you choose a floating point code?

Simon

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: