Active Topics

Poll: What would you pay for the N810 (USD)?
Poll Options
What would you pay for the N810 (USD)?

That question depends a lot on whether you already bought a similar device. I bought a used n800 for $300....a month before new ones were available for $235 darn it. I also have an auto GPS that works very well ($300.) Have a Treo, smart phone ($250.) Have a portable bluetooth SirfIII GPS to go with both ($70.) Also have a small Dell 700m small laptop ($1100.)

If I didn't have either the n800 or auto GPS I'd be very inclined to pay close to list for the n810, but since I have those devices (and I imagine many other people do, as well) I am more inclined to look at the n810 as an expensive toy. My expensive toy budget is a little tapped right now. When and if the n810 drops to the sub-$400 range, or if I can get a used one for the same $300 or so I paid for the n800, I may be inclined to buy one.

I do like the idea that I can "trial" the n810 by installing it's operating system on the n800. However, I'm concerned with losing the few apps I've grown to love because of compatibility issues so I'll probably take a wait and see attitude and let other people work out the kinks first.

In the meantime I have been salivating over the UMPC's or MITs or whatever they are being called now. I really like the form factor and runtime of the Everrun. Very interested to see what Ubuntu mobile brings to the table.

Last edited by ImDisaster; 2007-10-19 at 11:04.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by ImDisaster View Post
That question depends a lot on whether you already bought a similar device. I bought a used n800 for $300....a month before new ones were available for $235 darn it. I also have an auto GPS that works very well ($300.) Have a Treo, smart phone ($250.) Have a portable bluetooth SirfIII GPS to go with both ($70.) Also have a small Dell 700m small laptop ($1100.)

If I didn't have either the n800 or auto GPS I'd be very inclined to pay close to list for the n810, but since I have those devices (and I imagine many other people do, as well) I am more inclined to look at the n810 as an expensive toy. My expensive toy budget is a little tapped right now. When and if the n810 drops to the sub-$400 range, or if I can get a used one for the same $300 or so I paid for the n800, I may be inclined to buy one....
^That's what I'm saying...

The N810 may offer little over and above what current N800 users will experience with the new firm/software.
So for current owners the value question would be "How much more would you spend for a slide out keyboard and on-board GPS?"

However, for a person deciding on what Car navigator in the USA to buy that works out of the box, anything under $500 for one with the N810's features is an exceptional value.

>> https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....t=9122&cID=134

>> http://www.tomtom.com/products/categ...D=0&Language=4

The n810 can't do car navigation straight out of the box. You need additional software for that:

Can I do routing and navigation with my Nokia N810?

Navigation is a premium service provided by Wayfinder and available for purchase on top of Map application. You can purchase the navigation feature and Wayfinder Navigator licence online with a credit card directly from the Map application. As a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet user you can also try navigation for 7 days free of charge.
http://www.wayfinder.com/?id=5365

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So Maemo Mapper it is.

RobMtl: I'm in Toronto, and I've had my 770 since Dec 2005. I had to go to Michigan to get it. In mid 2006 I saw someone listening to music on one in the subway, but haven't had an organic sighting since. My friend at work picked one up after seeing mine, and his friend bought a lot of 10 to give out as 'gifts' when people shelled out a few grand for his 'learn english' course.

Have you seen any others up here in the great white north?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
So Maemo Mapper it is.

RobMtl: I'm in Toronto, and I've had my 770 since Dec 2005. I had to go to Michigan to get it. In mid 2006 I saw someone listening to music on one in the subway, but haven't had an organic sighting since. My friend at work picked one up after seeing mine, and his friend bought a lot of 10 to give out as 'gifts' when people shelled out a few grand for his 'learn english' course.

Have you seen any others up here in the great white north?
I'm in Quebec City and I haven't seen any others in the wild yet. I do, however, keep getting asked while I'm on the bus if "that is the iPhone", to which I laugh and say, "no, it's something better."

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
The n810 can't do car navigation straight out of the box. You need additional software for that:

http://www.wayfinder.com/?id=5365
So... then under $400 US is an exceptional value.

At its currently expected MSRP, the N810 is priced just right for the holiday season.

If it captures just 5% of the expected 2008 market, the N810 will surpass N800 sales many times over.

Thales Navigation, which makes Magellan GPS products, predicts the global market for navigation devices will reach $5.4 billion by 2008.
Perhaps one of the flaws with regard to iPHONE's expected market is its lack of on-board, off line, navigation.

Civilians (non-geeks ) seem to have a limited "gadget" budget and may have to make the choice between a device that pairs to their existing cell phone/service and has a usable in car navigator VS. spending the same amount of money for a device, changing service providers, and not have a usable off line navigator.

...On top of that, they will be locked into a 2 year commitment because of the latter decision.

(The above is just my observation and the logic I would use.)

I think Nokia has done right with this one at it will also enhance the user experience of existing N800 users. On the same page you pointed to I found:

Internet Tablet OS 2008 includes an integrated Map application. You can use your old Navicore Personal 2007 license key to activate navigation features of the map application. After entering your license key, the activated Wayfinder Navigator application provides equivalent navigation features compared Navicore Personal 2007.
What more can we ask for?

I would suspect come January 2008 this site will explode with new members.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Nice analysis, YoDude.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I would have been willing to pay more for the N810 if I didn't already have the N800 and I think a lot of people here are in the same boat, so that's why the numbers are skewed lower than, say... the average random person that's never heard of them before.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, zero, I expected the N800 situation to have some influence. Imagine the different responses if the price had waited another 2 weeks to drop.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I would have been willing to pay more for the N810 if I didn't already have the N800 and I think a lot of people here are in the same boat, so that's why the numbers are skewed lower than, say... the average random person that's never heard of them before.
Maybe, but just as likely the average person would not be inclined to pay $400 to $500 for an internet "toy." The geeks on this website are skewing the price higher.