Active Topics

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Yes, you are correct.

Ubuntu will release their version first, but jolla will be way ahead with device. Will be a hard battle. From the gui, I think I favor ubuntu atm.
The one big advantage of sailfish is alien dalvik... and there will be a device available when my second n900 dies so i have to buy a jolla phone

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes, that is the kicker for Jolla. Will be nice to see how this working out. If jolla shows up with a big screen device or even better: a keyboard. Their concept will sail up in top. The only thing we can do is looking for evidence of its existence and saving money. And waiting extremely impatiently.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I haven't done a lot of research but maybe you could help me.

I quite like the repository system and the fact that you can install debs no problem.
I very much dislike the appstore/market system that some os'es have. where everything is closed and attached to an account.

Now my question is: how will the new os'es take care of this?

Is mobile ubuntu is like desktop ubuntu?
And I think I read that Sailfish will use RPM?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Harmattan uses Qt Quick Components to create consistent GUI apps in QML. Nemo also use these, AFAIK, and (thus?) Sailfish as well? But what about Ubuntu Mobile?

I want to focus my reading/learning to something that will be applicable for the foreseeable future. I like QtQuick and QML, but without something like Qt Quick Components the fun is quickly over when you want to create a more traditional app.

Also, I'm in doubt whether to use Qt/C++ or Python as "backend" for QML. PySide is well supported on Harmattan, but what about the others?

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
1 OS, fitting for desktop & mobile & everything in between: exactly, what i've been waiting for, for years!

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Harmattan uses Qt Quick Components to create consistent GUI apps in QML. Nemo also use these, AFAIK, and (thus?) Sailfish as well? But what about Ubuntu Mobile?
IIRC Jolla officially mentioned somewhere that they will ship Qt Components with Sailfish.

Ubuntu-phone has its own set of components based on Qt5 & Qt Quick 2.0. Probably shouldn't be too difficult to also port regular Qt components though.

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I want to focus my reading/learning to something that will be applicable for the foreseeable future. I like QtQuick and QML, but without something like Qt Quick Components the fun is quickly over when you want to create a more traditional app.

Also, I'm in doubt whether to use Qt/C++ or Python as "backend" for QML. PySide is well supported on Harmattan, but what about the others?
PySide is available for Nemo and some Nemo applications are already using it (at least mine & Khertans).

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
For C++ go through these:

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/...ngInCPP2e.html
http://www.amazon.com/C-Templates-Th.../dp/0201734842
http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Design-.../dp/0201704315
http://www.manning.com/williams/

There aren't much books on C++11 yet, so try to look out for those and look for on-line tutorials.

I'd recommend to use QML for the UI, and C++ for any actual program logic.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-06 at 23:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by flotron View Post
- Ubuntu is too far
- Jolla UI and graphics looks ugly
- Tizen reminds me android and i hate android
- BB10 looks awesome, it looks like harmattan but it is out of linux

So i'll wait for jolla to enhance its crappy look
It's so easy to do your own UI on QML (even the homescreen) and to theme qt-components that looks don't really matter. There will be IMO full phone skins from day one, and alternative home screens a bit later. That is if it's the same things used in nemo.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
1 OS, fitting for desktop & mobile & everything in between: exactly, what i've been waiting for, for years!
Sorry to break it to you, but WIN 8 has done this. Just saying.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but WIN 8 has done this. Just saying.
So, Win 8 RT & Win 8 (x64) is the same? I can use the same "apps" on the desktop as well as on the ARM-powered crap (Surface)? Totally cool!

/sarcasm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: