Active Topics

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
No need to wait for harmattan. You can do PyQt on the NITs today ! Diablo is unfortunately a bit of a stepchild in that regard, but PyQt *is* available for it (for users willing to clone to SD/internal). But from Fremantle/Mer on, it's plain sailing.
Any links with a guide on the how-to ? Thanks to you .

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Any links with a guide on the how-to ? Thanks to you .
Until the material for the Summit PyQt presentation is ready, the quick'n'dirty way of doing it (on Diablo) is:

1. Clone to SD or internal card (you'll need the space)
2. enable extras-devel in the Application Manager if you haven't done so yet
3. (as root from console) apt-get install python2.5-qt4-gui

It'll pull in the python/qt4/pyqt dependencies and after a minute or two of munching, you're good to go !

PS. Be sure to check http://wiki.maemo.org/Qt for generic Qt on Maemo stuff, most of it is directly applicable to pyqt, too (except for scratchbox, which you don't need ).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
PS. Be sure to check http://wiki.maemo.org/Qt for generic Qt on Maemo stuff, most of it is directly applicable to pyqt, too (except for scratchbox, which you don't need ).
Interestingly it says (emphasis mine):

Porting a Qt desktop application to Maemo requires very little effort. This because the Maemo Qt libraries will take care of giving the Hildon look & Feel and enabling the virtual input methods for your application.
and

Maemo Qt is based on Qt for X11. It shares the same API avoiding API breaks. In this way every Qt application that runs in other platforms (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, S60, etc.) can run also into the Maemo devices.

If I interpreted it right, it's just a matter of recompiling a qt application (and is that necessary if the application is already compiled for arm, say, coming from a debian repository?), adding maemo specific things is completely optional.
If so, why on earth didn't nokia do the same with gtk? (instead of requiring specific hildonization to make it work right)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Most of the work on qt was done before nokia picked up trolltech, iirc...

as for GTK, its what, 3 years ago now? long time in the tech world, that...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by luca View Post
If I interpreted it right, it's just a matter of recompiling a qt application (and is that necessary if the application is already compiled for arm, say, coming from a debian repository?), adding maemo specific things is completely optional.
If so, why on earth didn't nokia do the same with gtk? (instead of requiring specific hildonization to make it work right)
You are correct, Qt hildonizes stuff transparently, by default you don't have to change your code. Qt, with it's Mac/Win/X11 multiplatform heritage has quite a history of customizing dialogs and inputs depending on platform to make the application look and feel more native. As for GTK, no idea why didn't they did not do the same but I'm no GTK wizard so I'll let someone with more GTK experience speak up and present the gory details

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
I think another aspect has to be taken into consideration.

As a recently made unemployed Senior Software Developer I am asking the question 'where should I be developing?'. Should I be looking at Maemo (I am a strong and long standing Maemo user) and Linux (I've been using Linux for 14 years!) or should I be looking where the money is? I see 15 year old iPhone developers making 100,000€ plus from a good idea, I'm full of good idea's! Would I get this from a Maemo app?

I love Maemo, I love what it all stands for and I get that the tablet is way before its time and in the future we will all look back and see it as the beginnings of a mobile (phone) revolution. What *I* as a developer of 10 years commercially (and more personally) see from the platform is a raw playground with nothing to entice me. I say that from the developer who has released *no* software under Maemo but I say that from a consumer who has bought every iteration of the tablet.

I WANT IT TO WORK, but how can we, as a community, entice developers? OVI at the moment isn't it so what is?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
I think another aspect has to be taken into consideration.

As a recently made unemployed Senior Software Developer I am asking the question 'where should I be developing?'. Should I be looking at Maemo (I am a strong and long standing Maemo user) and Linux (I've been using Linux for 14 years!) or should I be looking where the money is? I see 15 year old iPhone developers making 100,000€ plus from a good idea, I'm full of good idea's! Would I get this from a Maemo app?

I love Maemo, I love what it all stands for and I get that the tablet is way before its time and in the future we will all look back and see it as the beginnings of a mobile (phone) revolution. What *I* as a developer of 10 years commercially (and more personally) see from the platform is a raw playground with nothing to entice me. I say that from the developer who has released *no* software under Maemo but I say that from a consumer who has bought every iteration of the tablet.

I WANT IT TO WORK, but how can we, as a community, entice developers? OVI at the moment isn't it so what is?
Everyone is seeing those that make 100000€. No one is seeing the other people down below.

http://www.fiercemobileit.com/story/...y/2009-06-17-0
http://www.stromcode.com/2009/05/24/...pp-store-hype/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
It's a gamble. IMHO, anyone who goes in thinking that they will make ton of money from the App Store, for sure, no questions asked, are the ones who still believe in santa claus.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
It's a gamble. IMHO, anyone who goes in thinking that they will make ton of money from the App Store, for sure, no questions asked, are the ones who still believe in santa claus.
But ...

As a developer, what are the chances?

1) Develop for Maemo and hope the money comes in some way?
2) Develop for Palm and hope the money comes in some way?
3) Develop for iPhone and hope the money comes in some way?

Where would you bet the money if all you had was development income?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I would probably choose again 4) the web...

There's not much money in the mobile business yet, at least as independent application developer. If you work for one of those 3 companies though, you'll have more chance to feed your family.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-06-29 at 21:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:

Tags
development, market place apps, palm