Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Germany
First of all: Thanks a lot!

Nevertheless, I've got a (stupid?) question: I'm running OS2008 on a N800
and my "Device language" is set to "English (USA)", while my "Regional setting" is "German (Germany)". AbiWord starts with a german user interface, but how do I switch this permanently to English?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by arnd View Post
First of all: Thanks a lot!

Nevertheless, I've got a (stupid?) question: I'm running OS2008 on a N800
and my "Device language" is set to "English (USA)", while my "Regional setting" is "German (Germany)". AbiWord starts with a german user interface, but how do I switch this permanently to English?

Thanks in advance!
Edit your /home/user/.AbiSuite/AbiWord.Profile file with text editor
(I used emelFm2)

Near the end of the file is
<Scheme
name="_custom_"
... some commands, perhaps ZoomPercentage...
/>

Change that to
<Scheme
name="_custom_"
DocumentLocale="en-US"
MenuLabelSet="en-US"
ToolbarLabelSet="en-US"
StringSet="en-US"
ZoomPercentage="109"
/>

Save changes and start AbiWord. You should have now
English menus.

I don't know whether all those locale settings are necessary
but it seems to work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ism For This Useful Post:
dfinch: word perfect support is also in a plugin, so it's in the same boat with odt and ooxml. It's actually a bit trickier, since it requires a dependency - the order in which I'll add plugins will probably be odt first (no new deps), then ooxml (just a build-time dep), then perhaps wpd, possibly in its own package.

File format support: You should be able to set file format by typing the extension and it guessing, however, that doesn't work right now. If you must create docs on tablet in a specific format (and can't install abiword on your desktop to convert) create a blank document in the appropriate format on your desktop, copy it over, then open it and save as in tablet abiword. This is a filed bug - somebody might want to find it on that list and mention the current behavior if, for instance, you do save as and enter "test.rtf." This might also be a reasonably-easy bug for a new dev to try tracing down.

(RTF and word doc support for loading and saving should work fine in this version, so you can use the above workaround to save as those formats for now, too!)

FYI: the file open screen should be the same as every other ported (hildon) app, so like the notes program, etc. It is not the same as what you'd see in the debian abiword - this is one of the effects of the hildonization - native port.

Arnd: Could you file that language issue? We do our best to guess what language you want your stuff in, so I'm actually going to guess that this might be a Maemo weirdness (having the language be different from the locale in a non-standard way) but if you report it and can answer some basic questions in an xterm when someone asks them that would be useful
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

The Following User Says Thank You to megabyte405 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Ism View Post
Edit your /home/user/.AbiSuite/AbiWord.Profile file with text editor

I don't know whether all those locale settings are necessary
but it seems to work.
Thanks, that did the trick!

New upstream version released! AbiWord 2.6.4 has been released on all platforms. The release notes and changelog can be found here.

I am currently uploading new packages to extras-devel. Only the abiword package itself has been updated with the new source - this does not include the packaging changes to bring in plugins like I mentioned I need above. You can upgrade through the application manager.

Enjoy! Keep the feedback rolling!

Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Derek,

Do files on your external card show up in the file>open dialog?
Yes! Every file on the card shows up including mp3's and of course doc files which open without problems.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
A cool side effect of this package is that it provides icons for my Debian version

Ryan, do you think you'll be able to have any time in the near future to address any of the bugs in the list?

I'll be able to get the packaging (see: plugins for file format support and real-time collaboration) stuff in the near future, since I'm the AbiWord for Ubuntu maintainer (note that Ubuntu doesn't actually tend to use an updated version of my packages, visit www.abisource.com if you want a version made recently :-/) and working with the Debian maintainer to keep those packages up to date, I will probably be porting the Maemo packaging to the same basic package that we're using on these more full-featured platforms. So, that's a git branch and some tweaking and failed uploads away from being done.

The other bits - that's harder, probably not. Google and AbiWord dictate that my main priority be the Summer of Code work I'm getting paid for, and I value that commitment. Furthermore, I'm not experienced with actual hildon development, and these are mostly bugs in how we interact with hildon (obviously, since any major bug with gtk in general is already fixed by those working primarily on the desktop version). I'll try my hand at them someday when I have the time to do so, but someone experienced with hildon can probably get it done quicker than me. I am happy to mentor someone with this hildon experience as they get up to speed on the abiword bits needed to get the work done: AbiWord is a well-abstracted, well-designed application and a "front-end" bug like this should be relatively easy to fix.

Not sure if this was reported or not, but latest version on N810/Diablo crashes if you use the DPad to reposition the cursor, consistently. This also happened on an earlier 2.5 version I had.

Hmm, haven't heard of that one. Please file it at http://bugzilla.abisource.com - make sure to set the component to Front End-Maemo and the hardware/platform correctly.

Thanks! (Same goes for other bugs you might find - if you file a dupe, I'll know about it and take care of the duplicate report for you.)

Tags
abiword, office