Closed Thread
Originally Posted by YavkatA View Post
Inception + Opensh causes a reboot loop. Finnish 64 GB, #059j187
I can still boot the phone with
Code:
sudo flasher --set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset --enable-rd-mode
. Will try and investigate further.

EDIT: Removing inception and opensh did not solve the problem. The phone shows the waves on the Nokia logo, and reboots much further in the boot porcess. Any ideas how I can fix this without a reflash? I can still boot in R&D.
I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with INCEPTION itself and everything to do with the Avahi packages you mentioned in the other thread. As far as I know, those packages are untested and not Harmattanized, and generally shouldn't be used. (Someone else here made more Harmatan-friendly builds, IIRC)

Remember that uninstalling INCEPTION doesn't revert changes you made yourself - it only undoes the adjustment to Aegis.

The Following User Says Thank You to itsnotabigtruck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
qole, of course, just need to reconfigure NOLO. i know one man who can do that.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Dresden - Germany
You can't belive how much I have to thank you. At the moment I got some trouble with aegis and thanks to your tool, I know now, that it was NOT a bug in my code nor aegis.

Just in the right moment. Thank you very very much!

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Nobody explained how it works yet?
I don't really get it but it seems all the interesting stuff is in the .sh files.
It looks like it uses chroot and remounts the filesystems to temporarily gain access to some protected files used by dpkg/aegis when installing. It then patches in a dummy entry at the end of the file that can be used when installing later. Now, someone explain how wrong I am

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Nobody explained how it works yet?
I don't really get it but it seems all the interesting stuff is in the .sh files.
It looks like it uses chroot and remounts the filesystems to temporarily gain access to some protected files used by dpkg/aegis when installing. It then patches in a dummy entry at the end of the file that can be used when installing later. Now, someone explain how wrong I am
yea, it's a security hole exploit. this is as much a demonstration of how aegis is ineffective in its fake-goal {keeping the user safe from external attack} as it is a practical tool for getting around aegis' real-goal {preventing full user control of the device to give nokia&partners the ability to do things not in the user's best interests}.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ saint lucia
So, it's like rooting an Android device. Nice. But think I'll wait til I see some good apps that absolutely need this access level

Last edited by coopere; 2012-03-06 at 20:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to coopere For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Earth
this thing is great!

but as I mentioned in the Nokia & AEGIS open-mode topic, is something like this possible without Aegis?

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by itsnotabigtruck View Post
I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with INCEPTION itself and everything to do with the Avahi packages you mentioned in the other thread. As far as I know, those packages are untested and not Harmattanized, and generally shouldn't be used. (Someone else here made more Harmatan-friendly builds, IIRC)

Remember that uninstalling INCEPTION doesn't revert changes you made yourself - it only undoes the adjustment to Aegis.
It's not realated to these packages - the same thing happened after I reflahsed.

EDIT: I will try to incept again with only filebox and meescan installed.

EDIT2: Incept was successful, no reboot loop. Will try to incept opensh now..

EDIT3: Opensh didn't cause a reboot loop either. Is it possible that using a reboot app is what caused the reboot loop?

Last edited by YavkatA; 2012-03-06 at 23:56.

Originally Posted by ja-pc View Post
this thing is great!

but as I mentioned in the Nokia & AEGIS open-mode topic, is something like this possible without Aegis?
Well, the Aegis manifest (what my post talked about) is a major reason why Aegis can't simply be ripped out completely - anything that relies on gaining capabilities or switching users/groups through Aegis would break. Also, without Aegis it would be difficult to tell what sort of functionality a given program uses.

The Following User Says Thank You to itsnotabigtruck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Does Inception allows to use chroot ? For example, to run Qole Easy Debian without Harmattan open mode ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
harmattan, inception, root-access