Active Topics

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
I'm using footify on my wifi connection

Strange, when I use the symbolic to load footify I'm getting the standard gtk interface, but when I launch ./footify.sh I do get graphics that is in your screenshots.

The positive thing with the standard gtk interface is that I do not get any stutter at all

Last edited by poka64; 2010-05-22 at 19:15.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Better performance but not looking as good is perhaps an ok trade-off.

Are you running the client as root or normal user?

I just now tried using the symbolic link, /usr/bin/footify, and I get the Hildon look. Would be nice to actually know how the theme is picked.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
I'm running the client as a user, not root.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Stockholm
re:version 0.0.1
nice work! thanks for sharing.
suppose you already no about these:

(multiple)
pulse.c: pa_simple_write() failed: Invalid argument
Segmentation fault
also experienced that i couldn't jump in the playlist and of course the buffering issue
tnx again

@g-man

The output from pulse.c is there to see that things still are pumping data. The output you point at is a case of there not being any data to read and write to PulseAudio but an attempt is made anyways. Thread synchronization is hard to get just right and easy to get wrong.

Segmentation fault while writing sound data is most likely a case of the same. The thread that is responsible for fetching data tries to do that just as despotify invalidates its buffer (or, that's my guess...) and when that data is then pushed into PulseAudio, things break.

Not being able to jump in playlists is at least three things: 1) not being able to use the buttons, 2) pressing the "Next" button too fast and 3) the client not being able to handle the jumping.

1) In v0.0.1 the "Next" button should work, but might fail from time to time. In v0.0.2 the "Previous" button works too but I'm sure it's possible to break it.
2) Moving too fast with "Next" is a Spotify bug. Have a go at it with the client on the iPhone or a Symbian phone like a HTC. It's not too hard to trigger it. Audio will stop and the datapump will need to be restarted to get a sound stream again.
3) I'm guessing it's not too hard to press "Previous" or "Next" at just the wrong moment to catch the datapump while it's about to read and at the same time invalidate the buffers in despotify. Again, thread synchronization.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you like it.

And have a go with v0.0.2 too.

Last edited by Joorin; 2010-05-22 at 20:27. Reason: Typo

You made my day Jorin!

An awesome client, even if it's quite buggy.

Would it be possible to get a playlist browse look a bit like the official Spotify mobile client?

For the rest, awesome

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Looks like the most promising Spotify client on Maemo so far.

Thank you for this great work!

@florian

I have a new version in the works where at least one of the thread bugs has been resolved. I'm doing long time tests with it on my stationary computer and get several days of playing without crashes.

Could you perhaps supply me with a screenshot of what you mean? I've modeled the playlist view on how playlists are presented in the normal client.

I'm glad you like it.

@cjp

It's a fun hack. I'm glad you like it.

@cjp

It's a fun hack. I'm glad you like it.