Active Topics

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
  1. Support from Nokia. I would pay for functional OS upgrades after a year. And indeed, giving updates to WP and Symbian software, but not for us MeeGo-users is a kick in the nuts.
  2. +1 for VPN
  3. VPN
  4. VPN. Really. There are free, but very unencrypted and therefor fully untrusted wifi hotspots all over. Without VPN I will not ever connect to those. And neither should you.
  5. +1 for UPnP client. Phako is working on that though, but this should have been available at launch.
  6. More powerful UPnP server. I think it is very well possible to stream the audio and display of the device directly to a tv. There will be some lag though, but it would compensate for the (shocking) lack of HDMI-out.
  7. ODF editing capabilities. But I applaud the ODF viewer already present, even if slightly buggy.
  8. Browser updates. More HTML5 conformance. (Much) more privacy options: disable third party cookies, disable referrer, disable javascript, ability to block privacy-disasters (Facebook, Google Analytics et al.) Yes, I'm aware that Opera supports all of these features, but to configure those settings using opera:config is not very userfriendly. Also, Opera's integration in the OS is limited.
  9. Customizable search engines. I don't like google.
  10. JavaME support. Official Java SE support would be nice. On a sidenote: JavaSE does work on the N9, and JavaME also. But both aren't really user friendly to set-up
  11. Transparent device encryption. I'm carrying a good chunk of my e-mails and photos on this device... I believe most bits for that are already in place with the hardware-assisted AegisFS. But more control over it would be nice.
  12. Videosupport for XMPP.
  13. Bluetooth PAN "client" and "server". I find wifi-tethering cumbersome and insecure.
  14. SyncML account support. SyncML works, but the GUI is missing.
  15. Mountable WebDAV, CIFS.
  16. Most importantly: While I'm not against Aegis or TPM, don't block me of using my device as I see fit. I should be able to run as (real) root and can install and do whatever I want on my own device. As it is, this is already blocking some other points in the list from being possible.

Finally, I don't particularly care for all those closed, proprietary stuff like Skype and Whatsapp. Also, Draw Something, Wordfeud are temporary gimmicks.

Yes, I'm very aware many of the items on this list can't be implemented because of Aegis / Nokia blocking it somehow. Sorry for venting my gripes, but I take every opportunity to show what we, the customers, are missing because of these blocks. (And why you shouldn't even consider a WP or iOS device, which are much, much more locked down)

Last edited by Fuzzillogic; 2012-03-29 at 22:42.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Ali bhai View Post
I would love a netflix app!
It is already listed.

Please check http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...i/Apps_Missing before posting - this way we can focus on new proposals. Thanks!

• Open source e-mail client.
  • Open source XMPP/Jingle client with video calls and MUC support.

Qgil: Is there any chance that Nokia could open source N9 e-mail client? Does it worth to petition, or it's no use? I remember at some point you said, that Nokia can open source some components by request (if it's possible).

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-03-29 at 22:52.

Flipboard from the Apple App Store.

- Best reader (in addition to pulse), formats everything in magazine format.

- Flixster - movie showtimes in the US, able to view according to location with rotten tomato ratings and trailers all in the app. --> this is crucial and in WP Store

- Picasa App - ability to view all your albums. Even better if integrated in the Gallery --> available in WP and App Store

- Amazon App - shopping, one click ordering, ability to scan bar code with camera and compare price on Amazon and order.

- Ebay App- notifications for bidding etc. which is crucial.

- Banking Applications - if possible CITIBANK and Bank of America. Most well known banks here and others worldwide

The Following User Says Thank You to zfarooq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
@qgil:
thanks a lot for doing this, we all hope there will be some real results...

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
* Mobots http://www.mobots.org/ available for (old) Symbian
** Cool, simple, visual scripting tool for mobile. Automatically send an SMS to your spouse when nearing home. Switch profile when at work. Play a song when you shake your device.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Office Suite
http://store.ovi.com/content/1890?cl...e=search&pos=1
Full proof document editor, No reliable replacement yet. Comes with OneNote mobile

Instagram
http://www.instagram.com
Social photo sharing network with editing filters. Very popular on iOS and android. Molome doesn't suffice

The Following User Says Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Oxford Advanced Learners's Dictionary 8th Edition

itunes.apple.com/sg/app/oxford-advanced-learners-dictionary/id442911228?mt=8

A great app for students to study on the go without the need to carry the heavy dictionary book.

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Nokia Drop Nokia Drop is a simple and easy way to push content and notifications to your device from public websites,

- it will make life easier to Send images, public URL to the browser; Send feeds to Nokia feed Reader; Install apps, wallpapers, themes, ringtones from Ovi Store without SMS...

Nokia Play To display media contents on dlna compatible devices from the device itself, dlna feature isn't complete, i want also to be able to browse and display content from my N9 as i do with my old N82

SoundHound Just tap the orange button and sing, hum or hold your phone up to a speaker - and SoundHound names the tune!

and mainly support of nokia suite, god i want to sync my sms

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to slipkornsaad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by slipkornsaad View Post
Nokia Drop
Nokia Play To
Those two are excellent proposals! Some of us would indeed love to see proper DLNA support. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post: