Hi,

One thing which can be tried:
Open the case, remove the battery, and place it back. Charge with dedicated charger for few (5 to 10) minutes. Then try switch on. In most of the cases it comes back on.

Sajeev

Hi,

One thing which can be tried:
Open the case, remove the battery, and place it back. Charge with dedicated charger for few (5 to 10) minutes. Then try switch on. In most of the cases it comes back on .

Sajeev

Just to let you know mine has been supposedly charging for 18 hrs now with no luck so looks like i've got the hastle of returning it ffs

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
between the otg removal and this charging fiasco, it really seems like it would be hard to do a worse job with the usb connection. the big question is... what can be fixed with firmware, and what is just really bad hardware design?

The usb charging method is rubbish, but it's not Nokia's fault. The USB consortium set it up that way: If you have a micro-USB which can charge the device you can't have OTG. And if you have OTG you're not allowed to have a second USB. Talk about silly..
Using micro-USB as a common charger (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/123296) was a HUGE mistake. Apparently this is an EU norm now, so we'll blame EU. And the USB consortium.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I got a USB Car Adapter and when I plugged a Micro USB Cable in it it wouldn't charge the N900. :-(

When I use the PowerGuy Solar-Power Pack and connect it also with a Micro USB Cable the N900 won't charge. :-(

If I connect to the PowerGuy the old Nokia Connector then the Adapter for the Smaller Nokia Connector and THEN the Nokia Charging Adapter from the old Connector to Micro USB and THEN the whole thing in the N900... THEN it would sometimes charge. Sometimes not. After a couple of times plugging in and out it charges mostly for quite a while. (about 20 or 40 minutes, then it stops charging)
But the Nokia Charging Adapter (delivered with the N900) gets a little bit hot. Is this normal?

Not very nice the charging problem. In the best case the N900 should accept any kind of power (fron 1 to 40 Volt, AC or DC) on the Micro USB Port to charge the Battery. Only the natural instinct to keep alive!

Last edited by Helmuth; 2009-12-10 at 17:11. Reason: link fixed

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I got a USB Car Adapter and when I plugged a Micro USB Cable in it it wouldn't charge the N900. :-(

When I use the PowerGuy Solar-Power Pack and connect it also with a Micro USB Cable the N900 won't charge. :-(

If I connect to the PowerGuy the old Nokia Connector then the Adapter for the Smaller Nokia Connector and THEN the Nokia Charging Adapter from the old Connector to Micro USB and THEN the whole thing in the N900... THEN it would sometimes charge. Sometimes not. After a couple of times plugging in and out it charges mostly for quite a while. (about 20 or 40 minutes, then it stops charging)
Apparently the USB charging standard has defined that the data pins should be shorted out for dedicated chargers. This is pretty new, so a lot of old chargers won't be doing this, and the N900 will fail to charge.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I noticed that my new production N900 has a problem starting to charge when plugging in the charger, too. I tried it several times and sometimes it started charging, sometimes it didn't.

Then I tried the charger from my preproduction N900 and it doesn't make any problems at all. The N900 always immediately started to charge after plugging it in.

Hmm, I'm gonna try if the production charger causes the problems with the preproduction N900, too. Then it would definitely be the charger to blame.

EDIT: Now both chargers seem to work on both devices. Maybe the charger just had to get capacitors fully loaded for functioning reliably first?

Last edited by pycage; 2009-12-10 at 19:23.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ ktm @uk
I had exact similar problem...i've send it to exchange it on last tuesday..waiting eagerly..

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Try sliding the keyboard out and charging it.

Seriously.

I noticed one time trying to charge that it didnt start until I opened the keyboard. Its only happened once.
amazing. you're spot on. twice during the day has my pre-production n900 run out of batteries, and both times the procedure went like this:
  1. plug in power adaptor
  2. see the orange light pulse, wait a few minutes
  3. press and hold the power button: goes white and then no light, nothing happens
  4. remove battery for a minute, insert and repeat steps 1-3 once
  5. after charging for the third time, slide the keyboard
  6. press and hold power button and the n900 starts again

this seems to apply to bug 6806.

Tags
lack of quality control