Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
badgerbadgerbadgerbadger =))) Cant hold myself in my arms ^^

I stand corrected. So if they release it at 10 pm local time I'll check back tonight (I'm in USA MST).

I hope I don't run into installation problems, I'm a total newbie with both the IT and Linux...

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Aw! I got how to easily trace brazillian time!) Clock applet and «guest» time xD

Just google 'recife brazil time' to see what's the local time in Recife.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to disapoint in that matter but we are not as confident as the first version in the UPNP side. So, we did test with some major servers, but it's was not developed by us (it's actually open source in garage) and we cannot guarantee that it will be as good as we wanted. What we want is to really hear from you what problems are you having, because if they are serious we will for sure take over and create a new open alternative for the upnp.

BR

Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
krbvroc1, did you try Twonkyvision as your UPnP Media Server. (30 day trial)
No, I havent tried that yet. I'm currently downloading several free open source projects like uShare and MediaTomb, but maybe I'll try Twonkyvision. I'm running 2008 beta, so maybe my options are limited from what I read on here about the media server application. Some of the recent posts/blogs trying to 'lower expectations' on Canola2 in various areas concerns me a bit too.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Originally Posted by krbvroc1 View Post
No, I havent tried that yet. I'm currently downloading several free open source projects like uShare and MediaTomb, but maybe I'll try Twonkyvision. I'm running 2008 beta, so maybe my options are limited from what I read on here about the media server application. Some of the recent posts/blogs trying to 'lower expectations' on Canola2 in various areas concerns me a bit too.
I found Ushare works fine with the first Canola, but the problem with Ushare is it doesn't support transcoding, I never tried twonkyvision because it's not opensource and I hate the idea of paying money to transcode videos on the fly that I already own and can convert manually with tablet-encode, mediatomb looks pretty good but transcoding is only available currently in the SVN and I could never get it to work correctly.

What I would love to see is something light ended like ushare, with the ability to feed it video files from tablet-encode and this would make Canola2 the perfect media player for me in my house.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Guys,

I'm deeply sorry to disappoint you but, we are not able to release it Today. We received the bad news that we need one final "OK" to subjects beyond UI and CODE, actually beyond INDT. I'm personally really sad to be the one to tell this news, as everybody knows I'm (like the whole team involved) very excited and we really want this on the street being teste so we can follow our roadmaps.

Please, don't take this wrongly. We have been working non stop for the past 7 weeks, just to be able to make this deadline and now that everything is ready, packages are read to be added to the repositories, dependencies are already there... we got this little issue.

So please, don't wait for it today. I will not put here that it will be tomorrow cause then it can change, then it's a double fault. But it will not take long. We just a need a "OK", and we upload the canola package to the rep, move the final site to folder and bam! we're ready to go.

So really in behalf of the Team and also INDT we are REALLY sorry for this mistake but was an "outside" variable, that unfortunately we could not control. Lesson learned. Next version there will be no specific date on the website. We tried to do something funny with the fact that we had a pretty small deadline (the counter) and this has turned itself against us.

The only good side of this is that we will not "wait" we will do more testing, specially on the 770 devices, and make sure the installation is clean for everyone, if no reboot (if you don't have Canola1 installed)

I am preparing a "oficial" note to the website. And again, We are deeply sorry for that.

BR

Marcelo on behalf of the team and INDT.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Don't worry about it. It's your choice - also i feel it would be good if there was a little more explanation for the delay...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Sounds like some kind of license issue... Take your time, we will wait as much as needed.

@RipTorn: UPNP servers that i tried and know for sure to support transcoding:

Windows:
Orb
TVersity
FUPPES

Linux:
FUPPES

MythTV i think also has transcoding, but never tried it.

For accessing video on the road i found out that mediaserv + tablet-encode are best for server and Nokia's VideoCenter + Mplayer external player are best for Maemo side, working good even on OS2007HE.

In FUPPES and TVersity you can configure the exact resolution of the video you're producing. The special Orb for N800 directly outputs 400x240

Last edited by Bundyo; 2007-12-12 at 21:29.

Closed Thread