Active Topics

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ ChengDu, SiChuan, P.R.C
sounds good! it looks N900 much better than iPhone, just because N900 is newest one?? anyway, the open source is best one for player that's want play with a toy.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
This is a little off topic, but there was a nice user comment below a first review of the N900 in derstandard.at:

one user noticed that this was (finally) a review of a touchscreen-based smartphone that didn't even mention the iPhone for comparison.

a second user commented below: "why should they mention it as long as the N900 doesn't explode?"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
One problem...

Not correct. iPhone 3G/3GS support TV Out via part number MB129LL and MB128LL at 480p - read here...
The N900 can also be used as a UPnP server so if you have an XBox or other UPnP client sitting around your resolution will be better than composite.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
[EDIT : I asked if there really was a kickstand since I didn't see it in the pics, but here you can see it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5R-5NX1BE]

Also, your comparison lacks one aspect, which is a big downside of the N900 : the dimensions :
iPhone 3Gs : 115,5 x 62,1 x 12,3 mm - 135g
N900 : 110.9 (-4%) × 59.8 (-4%) × 18 (+46%) (19.55 at thickest part = +59%) mm - 181g (+34%)
So it's way thicker, and weighs significantly more.
See what it really looks like here (the thickness doesn't show the thickest part, for the N900)

but I'm still not even touching the iPhone and definitely buying the N900 if I have the funds and the reviews don't provide me an excellent reason not to buy it.

Last edited by choubbi; 2009-08-28 at 11:53. Reason: Nevermind, there's a kickstand, just not like the one on the N810

The Following User Says Thank You to choubbi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by choubbi View Post
Nice post, but are you sure the N900 has a kick stand? I haven't seen it in the pics. (here's a pic of the back of the N900)
Are you still not seeing the stand after posting the link to the pic? It is on the camera module. It is shown resting on it here http://maemo.nokia.com/images/upload...ice-design.jpg.

The Following User Says Thank You to mjc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Originally Posted by choubbi View Post
Nice post, but are you sure the N900 has a kick stand? I haven't seen it in the pics. (here's a pic of the back of the N900)

Also, your comparison lacks one aspect, which is a big downside of the N900 : the dimensions :
iPhone 3Gs : 115,5 x 62,1 x 12,3 mm - 135g
N900 : 110.9 (-4%) × 59.8 (-4%) × 18 (+46%) (19.55 at thickest part = +59%) mm - 181g (+34%)
So it's way thicker, and weighs significantly more.
See what it really looks like here (the thickness doesn't show the thickest part, for the N900)

but I'm still not even touching the iPhone and definitely buying the N900 if I have the funds and the reviews don't provide me an excellent reason not to buy it.
About the kickstand, it looks like that there is one. I think the opening is the little "hole" just under the camera and it is located all around the sensor and the camera protector. A part of it is fixed and an other one should flip.

There is a review online from a reliable mobile site: http://mobile-review.com/review/noki...-n900-en.shtml

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

The Following User Says Thank You to Matyas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
I corrected the kickstand part, I finally found out myself, but thanks for the pic.
I never had seen a kickstand like this, so I expected to see something like the one on the N810. That's quite smart and more space-saving than the latter one, good change.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Yes, since day one. Lock in to where you're at in under 5 seconds too.
Wasn't GPS added in 3G? And isn't this "Maps App" actually opening Google Maps? Whereas OVI Maps will probably have offline DB like on the S60 devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Wasn't GPS added in 3G? And isn't this "Maps App" actually opening Google Maps? Whereas OVI Maps will probably have offline DB like on the S60 devices.
GPS is by definition a satellite based service independent (but possibly augmented) from a cell network. I take it you mean location services in general ?

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Yes, but the iPhone are a fast search software, Spotlight, while the N900 does not have similar software type. Yet it has the advanced indexing system Tracker.

And the iPhone OS can be displayed horizontally and vertically, while Maemo 5 can be displayed in horizontal.

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war