Active Topics

Poll: What are you looking for now from Nokia (multiple choice)?
Poll Options
What are you looking for now from Nokia (multiple choice)?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
While I can certainly see your points, they dwell on worst case extremes to the exclusion of a reasonable middle. Proper management can mitigate the risks.
I kind of fail to see how those risks would be mitigated by "proper management". Could you elaborate on that a bit?

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
...I have a difficult time understanding why, in this forum, honest and objective questions are commonly met with extreme scenarios in answer, particularly worst-case extremes.
Perhaps programmers have a tendency, by nature or nurture, to immediately look for the corner cases that will break an algorithm. I blame big O.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
If people know what *may* be coming in general terms, some will hold off and buy later some will buy now. Rumors do the same thing. Lack of information does the same thing. I personally don't want to get caught in the situation of just having bought a device only to find out that days later a new better (for me) device from the same manufacturer just launched.

There are examples of manufacturers releasing hardware roadmaps to give both developers and consumers some idea of what is coming (this despite competitors)

Intel including 2010
Intel
AMD info including 2011
AMD

Article about Samsung releasing 3 phones this year with LG comments
Samsung

So obviously, some companies are willing to entice customers and developers alike with some information about the future. It doesn't have to be detailed.

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2009-08-18 at 14:32. Reason: Fixed links

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I kind of fail to see how those risks would be mitigated by "proper management". Could you elaborate on that a bit?
For part of the answer I'll defer to lemmyslander's post above. I think he gets what I'm talking about.

"Proper management" is a broad term but again, if it's examined objectively (pretend you're not a Nokia employee for a moment ) then one can start to see specific solutions. As has been mentioned numerous times and driven home by one poster very recently, consumer retention is the single biggest part of it. If a company can cultivate rabid consumer loyalty, it need not fear the negative aspects of revealing any sort of high-level hardware roadmap. As lemmy pointed out, some companies are doing it and succeeding. A general roadmap need not be a risk. I do suspect though that when one becomes so, odds are it's part of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I only wish to know what is the rx-71. Sigh.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Perhaps programmers have a tendency, by nature or nurture, to immediately look for the corner cases that will break an algorithm. I blame big O.
You blame orgasms???

Well... I think I can see that.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Texrat, I think we understand each other on this.

If for instance I am a Samsung fan, and I am looking for a new phone, based on the fact they are releasing android phones this year, I am apt to wait to see their offerings. If that information isn't public, I start looking at other options and Samsung looses a sale.

With Nokia, I don't think that the RX-51 is what I'm looking for, so I am looking at alternatives. If I buy an alternative and the RX-51 would have been OK, I'll be upset, but I won't rush out to buy one. I also have no idea if the RX-71 would be what I'm looking for, IF it ever makes it to production. If I knew it was going to be a tablet form factor, I would probably wait for more details before making a purchase. With no info available on the RX-71 it currently isn't a consideration.

A high level roadmap, even if vague, has value as a marketing/advertising tool in addition to (or in lieu of) traditional advertising.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Peter's third point I think many people are perhaps missing: "And lastly, you always need to balance early excitement versus influencing your existing sales." You don't want to publish the next greatest thing since sliced bread too early, because then people will start to wait for it and not want to buy current devices. The next thing is usually always better. That's why we do next things.
Book publishers love to do this. They mail out preview copies to reviewers 8 months before the street date, people come flooding in to buy it when they read the review in the paper and then completely forget about it when the book is finally released.

Of course, the flip side is waiting 2 years between hardware releases and forcing your users to go elsewhere. . . .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
On a somewhat side note, I have a difficult time understanding why, in this forum, honest and objective questions are commonly met with extreme scenarios in answer, particularly worst-case extremes. This creates a culture of pessimism. Where is the "can-do" spirit? Where is the motivation to defy negative prospects and exceed expectations? Why the acceptance of defeat?
Well, Nokia has managed to very effectively beat any and all optimism out of me, so, I have my reason.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, Nokia has managed to very effectively beat any and all optimism out of me, so, I have my reason.
And your example may well be indicative of the general trend (if one truly exists; I have no quantification).

But it gets to root of my goal here. I have challenged myself to package and present to Nokia what has gone wrong and what can/should be done to effect tangible and productive community engagement. I get the feeling that many see such dialog as futile but I am a very stubborn pragmaticist and facilitator.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, engagement, feedback