They need to come up with a better excuse than 'space concerns'. Has anyone looked at the internal pictures now on the FCC site? There's plenty of room on the circuit board. A better excuse would be "it interfered with the GPS chip" or something along those lines.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
How about a tilt sensor?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
They need to come up with a better excuse than 'space concerns'. Has anyone looked at the internal pictures now on the FCC site? There's plenty of room on the circuit board. A better excuse would be "it interfered with the GPS chip" or something along those lines.
There's no room. Really.

Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
There's no room. Really.
Airflow issues?

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
makes me think of the line in seinfeld, "I can't spare a square, I just can't!"

So which of the folks who got a pre-release unit is going to be the first to take the N810 apart and show us some photos of the circuit boards?

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
I seriously hope it has the built-in FM *transmitter* that has been mentioned in several places. If that was added to the equation, I'd have to pull out the credit card.

But I think transmitter will be problemous e.g. in germany

So I think that would be not in.

Originally Posted by Ar-ras View Post
But I think transmitter will be problemous e.g. in germany
It could be there but disabled? The right firmware would re-enable it but only when they have gotten it certified in the US and EU markets (otherwise Nokia would have their hands full controlling access to the enabling firmware on a country-by-country basis).

That would explain why the FM receiver is "not there" -- if it's part of a larger unit that can't be made available (yet) for regulatory reasons.

I'm quite certain that the N810 does not ship with a built-in FM transmitter. If it did, it would have been tested by the FCC. Even if it is disabled by default, it would require FCC certification as a transmitting device before being sold in the USA.