Active Topics

The adapter looks great. Any chance of producing one for the N810... micro USB mail to USB "A" female, with the pins shorted to enable host mode?

If not, I may get an adapter anyway, but this would be much less convenient.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Beautiful!! Hope you'll ship to Portugal, 'cos I definitely want one of these! No problems with PayPal, either.

This will replace my dirty hack of an adapter, soldering's not my specialty...

Keep us posted!

I just did two more on my own. If you have standard tools but a silver ink pen, it isn't that hard.

http://www.casecooler.com/usbab5pgech.html - it is slightly smaller than most.

The conductive pen is fairly common:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...rds=conductive pen&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_42778668_2&results-process=default

I used an x-acto knife to cut from the top (narrower face) of the mini-b end about 1/8 inch deep and from the top to expose the entire metal top. If I don't do this, the plastic will distort the metal since the far end will be under the plastic.

Then I carefully pried the right side (with the USBAF away, minib toward me) of the top of the mini B (with a needlenose pliers, then thin screwdriver, then the pliers again) until the rightmost two pins are exposed.

I get a drop of conductive ink from the pen and use the head of a needle to apply it across the far back inside of the connector shorting pins 4 and 5 (and avoiding 3).

Then I use a regular and other pair of pliers to bend the metal back into place trying to make sure it fits back properly

I wait a minute or two for the ink to dry, then I try it with a flash drive. If I don't wait, it often doesn't quite work or is intermittent. I also have made sure to keep pin 3 clean.

About 5 minutes total

lol, it's pretty funny who international this thread has turned out to be.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Montreal
Great idea. Yup, I'll buy one. How soon do you think they'll be available?

Sure, count me in. I'm in Canada, so minimal postage cost. I'm handy enough with a soldering iron, but anything that saves me an hour's work for a few $ is good for me!

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
I'm a yes. I think I'd prefer an adapter to a dongle, but I'd buy both.

I gave a yes on the other thread as well, just to stop any over-production.

Can't wait.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Last edited by dormant; 2008-01-27 at 18:46.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto
I'm in for one as well just as soon as I get an N800. (Still just jonesing.) This will make the tablet as useful overall as an SL C3200, as far as I'm concerned, and at about half the cost.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Just an update for all interested: I should be receiving the first batch of adapters in the next day or two, so I will post up a link with instructions on how to purchase 'em shortly there after (once I get them modded up and tested of course). Standard postal delivery anywhere in Canada, US or Overseas (for all you international folk out there who have been asking) seems to pretty consistent for item of this size at $9 flat CDN. The adapters themselves will be $6 each CDN (if you're in Canada there's tax on top of everything of course).
If you're looking for private courier service (i.e. UPS) the cost is significantly higher, especially for overseas/international delivery.

Right now there's no google checkout support (I haven't had time to implement it, it's on the to-do list!), so either credit cards or paypal; we don't do paypal through our site as it's not a very good business system, but for anyone that only has paypal available I'll handle those personally.

As for the N810 option that several people have been asking about... if somebody can find/source a micro-AB adapter I'll take a look to see, but at this point I can't find one available anywhere.

-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This looks really good Rob, and I for one appreciate your efforts.

One suggestion: if it turns out that these will look exactly like regular straight-through adapters, what about marking them somehow after you make them to provide some sort of distinction? Like with a paintpen.