Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I hate to say it, but I have to disagree on this point. Apple did come up with a UX that takes noobs completely seriously. But it does so by leaving out the hackers.
I hate to say this... but hackers do not add up to much of a market. Each product hackers have loved has died. Hackers have never truly have amounted to a viable market - especially in regards to what sells the most, what's supported the most and above all... what will survive tomorrow.

In short, you simply can't make a universal UI. Every compromise made towards one group of users alienates the other group.
Damn straight. High level, let them have a pretty UX. They need it. Low level, give them a terminal and a way to slap any UI the hacker community likes today while maintaining and refining a high level UX that doesn't dictate the low end. Simply stated, know your power users wants/need and the casual users wants/needs.

In this sense, Jolla is (in my opinion) hitting a sweet spot; they've got a very powerful open-source framework (Mer on top of Android using Hybris), and a very user-friendly closed-source interface (Sailfish) on top of it.
Amen brother!

Open-sourcing Sailfish would be, I think, stupid...
Preach on!

However, I believe that a different UI should be built on top of Mer, a totally open-source UI that focusses instead on functionality and ease of access to features. You can't make a single universal mobile UI, but you can make two opposing UIs on top of a single universal mobile infrastructure. This, I think, is the optimal way forward...
Something else can be on top of Mer... it's just that they're quite horrible at the moment and make the product feel incomplete and work like **** once a use case outside of the original scope happens along and discovers holes and gaps in the UI/UX patterns.

I think your other thread Copernicus has altered the way I think in regards to how to deliver and this dual strategy of yours that's now in my rhetoric stems from your way of thinking. Keep sharing and keep talking...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Network externalities are far more persuasive than 'silicon art', something that Bill Gates understood when he was just a kid negotiating with IBM. Steve Jobs only begrudingly acknowledged it later, which is why he would always develop a face that looked like a smacked arse whenever Microsoft were mentioned in interviews.
Yet it was Apple who made loads of cash on iTunes before anyone else woke up and copied the idea.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Jolla need some strange but cool features like n900.
I agree. I consider myself reasonably tech-savvy (compared to the average user) and the main reason I was interested in a Jolla phone was TOHKBD.
Was also interested in Ubuntu Edge due to the combination desktop / mobile / Linux. For a new platform or device to succeed you need to do something different, be the best or be the cheapest. I don't think Jolla is succeeding in any of these.
From my pov the Jolla phone without TOHKB is just another phone and this applies even more to the tablet. I also don't get the Sailfish appeal, the only thing that I can think of is 'it can also run android apps'.
I might be missing the point, but in that case the company needs to work on getting the message across.

Very pleased with my N900's though

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Gotham
Is it time for Nokia and Jolla to reunite?

Originally Posted by Foxkia View Post
Is it time for Nokia and Jolla to reunite?
No. * * * * * * * * * * *

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Where Negatron Dan? He need to tell us why android is awesome and all other OS suck. Anyone got his number?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Where Negatron Dan? He need to tell us why android is awesome and all other OS suck. Anyone got his number?
Bah... why invoke Danramos? He'll just say something that you'll all disagree with despite it being something that's worthy of second thought.

I liked the dude.

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
the N900 has a pressure sensitive touchscreen many years before the iPhone..... (although it is resistive)
Correct and what was needed to make it fully usefull was 10% hardware and 90% Software. Now and would have been back then.
More evidence that Nokia lacked a vision to start an effort to put all theyr fine stuff into one killer package.
But we all know that.

What Jolla did wrong was a too euphemistical calculation on market chances. Idealism hit realworld problems and was seemingly not properly reacted to in time and in regards to fair customer relationship.
What happend was they where grinded between wanting to deliver on average joes expectations and our holy principals.

Well, again i hate to say that my "Hackers love apple products" comes from hard evidence.
Welcome to another of my social bubbles:
You all know the CCC whichs path i follow since early VC20 childhood. Well the overwhelming majority of CCC members are using apple devices nowadays because linux is still seen as bad substitute to bsd. Most of them will not look at linux until lennart poetering has either fixed it completely or is gunned down to have a good laugh.

Frankly, they already laugh about especially us, still believing in amateurs to be able to do most of the job, instead of humping on the fastest train, taking it over from the inside and have a good time...
They loudly predicted the downfall of nokia 4 years early than we did and have not officially heard of Jolla because the interest in another puny mobil linux couldn't be lesser after meego/tizen failed.

They do not care about apples policys because they hack them away to have the nicest hardware package available and play on the most advanced and well polished system there is at the time.
The influence is obviously so big that apple in return opensourced swift recently to further attract them.
Sure the consumer devices start to lock out hacker interest (only one usb-c, locked down appstore even for desktops, etc...) and a media app of the CCC was recently blocked from the store because of apple scurity related congress talks featured there.
And you should have heard how big the laughter was 5 years ago when the apple watch was rumored first... Now many wear and hack one.

Ah yes and i know most of them appreciate apple taking 10k€ from snobbs for a gold watch to further perfection the os

But why i like to hang out here much more and often is a rather elitist and fatalistic attitude with many of them, the later especially regarding privacy and Apples obvious evilness nowadays.

Aaand i lack the detail knowledge and get horrased if i start to open my mouth over there from time to time

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Bah... why invoke Danramos? He'll just say something that you'll all disagree with despite it being something that's worthy of second thought.

I liked the dude.
Yeah me too. He had humour and was a true fanboy and never backed down for some truly ridicules unrelated subject

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Oh, we're at "blame Apple" now are we?

What stage of the grief/denial cycle is that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: