Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by cybernut View Post
I got the files to go to the flash disk (twice) and I think I did it earlier, but I can't unmount the drive - no unmount command and the usb symbol has a disconnect but it only flashes. I shut the power off (I think that should unmount cleanly then) and when I look with my laptop they aren't there - I think because they didn't get closed properly. They were on the flash drive since I could look at them with putty(ssh) and the local file manager. Is there a way to transfer the 3 files with putty or the installed go to root mode so I can see the files in /root. I could do that with another file manager I had but I haven't installed it yet on Diablo.

Cheers

C

dl and install emelfm2, http://gronmayer.com/it/index.php. It is a gui file manager with editor, allows file edit while points to the file. Allow edit root files with root access,

xterm
sudo gainroot
emelfm2
or put it in personal menu.

I done a lot of things many time faster by using this gui, point and edit, no commands line commands.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Thanks Bun
That's the file manager I had before I re-flashed to Diablo. I just couldn't find it in all the excitement. I'll put it in for next time. Hopefully someone will come up with a reason why my hub doesn't work...

C

Thanks Bun
That's the file manager I had before I re-flashed to Diablo. I just couldn't find it in all the excitement. I'll put it in for next time. Hopefully someone will come up with a reason why my hub doesn't work...

C
Lets do things one at a time.

Put off the USB hub first to minimize variables.
1) were you able to get into USB host mode? Just hook up a keyboard and test it.
2) were you able to generate the USB icon when get in/out of USB host mode
3) were you able to make the external HD work with the tablet
4) when you are sure about the config, then repeat the whole exercise with the USB hub.

My recipe, so far so good,

1) connect the USB hub to AC adapter
2) connect the ext HD to USB hub
3) connect the USB hub to a poweroff tablet.
4) turn on the tablet
5) xterm>USB OTG>USB host

If still no USB icon, I would momentarily unplug the tablet from the USB hub for a couple of seconds and reconnect and repeat
xterm>USB OTG>USB host

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-25 at 13:43.

...I have one of the OTG adapters and when I plug in my 1GB usb flash key directly everything is fine. I can read and write to it. When I put the same lash drive in via the powered hub - nothing - nada.
This does not sound right. USB flash key should work under any conditions. I would fine tune the configuration using USB flash key before attempting with the EXT HD, which is slightly more trickier.

bun

about the incorrect 'cp *.txt somewhere/*.txt': It could indeed cause trouble. The '*' is expanded by the shell _when you enter the command_, this is different from how it works in the DOS command line.

Say you have the file 'file.txt' in the source directory, and then you have 'somewhere/important.txt'. '*.txt' would expand to 'file.txt' and 'somewhere/*.txt' would expand to 'somewhere/important.txt' and the copy command would be
cp file.txt somewhere/important.txt
which is not what you want.
cp *.txt somewhere/
or
cp *.txt somewhere/.
is what you want.
(the final '.' means 'current directory', i.e. the same as just the directory name. It's customary to use /. just to avoid accidentally specifying a file or something - with the / at the end it will have to exist in advance and be a directory, otherwise the cp command could just create a file of that name if you had misspelled it.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
OK - getting a little more interesting...
I don't have a USB keyboard but will try and get one later today so I couldn't try your ideas at this time.
But I went back to the flash key and did some tests. If I plug it in directly to N800 every thing's fine. Remove it and plug it into the hub and then plug the hub into the NIT then everything is fine. Start all over and plug in the hub and then plug in the flash key in to the hub, it doesn't work. with USB Control program changing between periphrial/OTG/Host makes no difference. Then removing the hub and plugging it in again - nothing. Plugging the flash directly in - nothing. It seems to get into a state where where I can only get it back to working is by turning it off then on. I'm sure there is an easier way but that works Looking at "top" there doesn't seem to be any funny USB named programs running...
I must be doing something wrong with USB control or this may be a bug? but the only way to reset it is to power it off and then back on.
Is this normal or are we getting closer to something.
TIA
C

The Following User Says Thank You to cybernut For This Useful Post:
A stab in the dark - try 'lsmod' at different points, to see if the N800 loads a driver that, when remaining, prevents re-init of the USB handling (as it would do that only when it was loaded).

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
I tried lsmod before/after/during and there are no drivers that mention USB at all and no changes in the list.
One thing that was a little different: When I plugged my key into to hub its led flashed but didn't connect - last time it did nothing and then hung the ability to make any USB device to work. But removing the hub and plugging it in directly into the NIT everything worked and I didn't have to reboot.
It seems there is something that is intermittent - in the timing or voltage perhaps.
Is there a module that gets loaded with the USB? I can't even see the USB control program when I run top - unless it is named something different and not obvious. maybe "osso-media-server"???

Last edited by cybernut; 2008-07-25 at 13:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to cybernut For This Useful Post:
OK - ...It seems to get into a state where where I can only get it back to working is by turning it off then on. I'm sure there is an easier way but that works Looking at "top" there doesn't seem to be any funny USB named programs running...
I must be doing something wrong with USB control or this may be a bug? but the only way to reset it is to power it off and then back on.
Is this normal or are we getting closer to something.
TIA
C
Yes, that is NOT totally abnormal, maybe it is, I did it occasionally to get things going. And to turn on the USB host mode, when it works, it can be turned on/off very easily, when it does not work, I will unplug/plug to 'wake' up the USB host mode. As you said, there maybe an easier way, for the layman, looks like unplug/plug USB device is good enough to wake up the USB host mode. And I also do USB OTG/host when the tablet is confused. And going to reboot menu does not wake up the USB mode, one has to power it OFF then on.

bun

...But removing the hub and plugging it in directly into the NIT everything worked and I didn't have to reboot....
How do you remove your USB device, be it the USB hub or the HD?

You suppose to click the USB icon and hit "disconnect USB whatever...." I noticed that if you did not do that, the tablet gets confused easily and will refuse to wake up. I also notice similar situation in the desktop PC. This is MORE true for HD then other USB device. If you do not turn the device off and remove the device, that particular USB port "remembers" it and refuse to load/refresh a new device. I have to plug into a different USB port and it will then load, or reboot.

bun